The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Changing course...History to PPE?

Hey. I haven't actually got an offer yet, but if I did, York is 99% where I'd go. Lately, I've started to think I'd enjoy and benefit a lot more from doing a PPE degree than history. I just wondered if, if I get an offer, the university would be willing to consider changing the degree course. Or would I have to wait, go there, and then ask?

Anyone had similar experiences? Thanks! :smile:
I study PPE at York - DO IT!!!!!
University of York
York
Reply 2
I'm considering doing the same thing, i have an AAB offer from york for Philosophy. The more i think about it the more PPE seems more useful as well as still having a high philosophical content.
Dude do it... I cannot stress what enlightening experience it has been. It is a truly intellectually rewarding course leaving a diverse and dynamic array of possible career choices. Its also not that taxing in terms of work load (as some claim)
Reply 4
Awesome.
Question: I'm not the greatest mathematician, or i'm not sure if i am competent enough (B at GCSE, but mainly due to poor teaching; I got a C at GCSE Chemistry and i'm predicted an A at A Level)
How taxing is the mathematics side of it? I assume i'll struggle until i pick up the basics.
Good q, and one that a number of PEP students question.

1. mathematics is not an impossible science - it requires practice more than anything else and yes some are more predisposed to it than others, but you can do more than hack the maths in PPE. If you dont like the mathsy stuff simply do not load your second and third year modules with abstract economics. You can tailor your degree according to which discipline you like best.

2. I didn't do A-level maths, and got 1sts in 4 out of 6 Eco modules to date....
Reply 6
Thanks.
Also, since i'm gonna have to be interviewed when i ask to switch up my course; any economic texts i can introduce myself to in prep?
David Beggs - Economics 1 or something...

Renshaw - Mathematics for Economics those are the 1st year texts. Good luck buddy..
PPE FTW!!! Seriously, best course ever.

For your interview I suggest you make sure you understand the current economic situation as much as possible, and have a good look at an A level text book. It'll help if you know a bit of macroeconomics (how interest rates, inflation, unemployment all relate to each other) I'd have thought.

Good luck.

Edit: Are you absolutely sure you fulfil the entry requirements if you only got a B in maths at GCSE..? Not trying to put you off, just wondering really. I'd have thought they'd want an A at least. :confused: You'll be able to do the maths in the economics if you have at least some natural ability there. I didn't do it at A level and it wasn't a problem but I think I would have found 1st year easier if I'd spent a bit of the summer before hand going over maths.
Reply 9
Ahh, i checked the prospectus and it does say A GCSE Maths. Oh well, i was still gonna switch up to politics and philosophy joint.
Dude I got a B in GCSE Maths
You should still try though... Play up the fact that you will be relentless in your pursuit for success, particularly the maths side trust me the econ component does add significant value... I mean I got 1sts in a number of Econ modules like I said so...
Might be easier to switch to philo and pol and then add the economics after you've definitely got a place and you're at the university because you'll already be part of the PEP department (which includes both PPE and P&P degrees) regardless? Hmm.
Reply 13
*Original question asker* ;p

I got an A* in maths GCSE, but didn't take it at A-level. Basically, will they be against me moving department completely...from wherever the history is to PEP?
Sam o0o

I got an A* in maths GCSE, but didn't take it at A-level. Basically, will they be against me moving department completely...from wherever the history is to PEP?

Absolutely not. I got a B at GSCSE Maths and found the Maths for Eco a joke quite frankly (But I didn't really study at school, or uni for that matter ) Anyway, A at GCSE is more than sufficient.
Oh no does this mean my Bismarck buddy is leaving me alone to fend for myself in the chicken nuggets hell of Jesus? D:

I know you really wanted to go to York as well though, and if you've been lucky enough to realize this is what you'd rather do before it's too late, good on you and go pursue it. I know of someone who went to Cambridge and switched from Law, to English then BACK to Law, so it seems unis are generally quite flexible. Best of luck man.

Btw OT but do you seriously not have facebook? It's so much easier to keep in touch...
Sam o0o

Nope, I didn't take it past GCSE either, it won't be a problem there are quite a few people in that position.
kk

Latest

Trending

Trending