The Student Room Group

A-Level maths for PPE

I’m hoping to do PPE at university as it interests me hugely. I’m predicted a grade 6 at GCSE and I’m on track to achieving this. Some universities offering PPE accept just a grade 6 in GCSE maths, however the higher ranking universities expect A-level maths. I want to take the subject but I’m not confident about whether my abilities would suffice. I don’t want to take the subject over something else and then end up with a grade I don’t want. All advice welcome and I’m happy to clarify anything.
Reply 1
Hey! I currently take A level math and I know that a lot of unis do need math for PPE. So I would say depending on you other A level choices, Math would still be a good addition to have. If you do find it hard in the first few weeks, most colleges do allow to switch.
Original post by matt.armitage
I’m hoping to do PPE at university as it interests me hugely. I’m predicted a grade 6 at GCSE and I’m on track to achieving this. Some universities offering PPE accept just a grade 6 in GCSE maths, however the higher ranking universities expect A-level maths. I want to take the subject but I’m not confident about whether my abilities would suffice. I don’t want to take the subject over something else and then end up with a grade I don’t want. All advice welcome and I’m happy to clarify anything.

Hey @matt.armitage,

Great to hear you're thinking ahead and researching universities! If you'd like to keep your A-Level options open, I'd encourage you to consider coming to Reading to study PPE - we only require grade 6 Maths at GCSE! Plus, although we would encourage you to pursue subjects related to PPE such as Politics, Philosophy, Economics, History, Law or even Sociology, we don't have any specific subject requirements. We have had a PPE course for over 50 years, so it is highly ranked and respected, and offers you both great industry links and career support - you can find out all about it here!

I'd also recommend that you try chatting to some of our PPE students, Jack or Mweo for some more advice about the course itself and the importance of maths knowledge/ A Level.

If you have any questions about Reading, please feel free to ask and we'll do our best to help you out!

Kat :smile:
3rd Year History Undergraduate
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by mochaaa1805
Hey! I currently take A level math and I know that a lot of unis do need math for PPE. So I would say depending on you other A level choices, Math would still be a good addition to have. If you do find it hard in the first few weeks, most colleges do allow to switch.

I’m hoping to take history and also politics and in summary I’m either going to take maths or English lit. I’m confident in my ability to achieve at least a 6 at GCSE - but with a lot of work. And so I’m convinced that taking maths A-level maths would mean I’d have to take a lot of time to studying with somewhat mediocre results. Thanks for the advice!
Reply 4
Original post by UniofReading
Hey @matt.armitage,

Great to hear you're thinking ahead and researching universities! If you'd like to keep your A-Level options open, I'd encourage you to consider coming to Reading to study PPE - we only require grade 6 Maths at GCSE! Plus, although we would encourage you to pursue subjects related to PPE such as Politics, Philosophy, Economics, History, Law or even Sociology, we don't have any specific subject requirements. We have had a PPE course for over 50 years, so it is highly ranked and respected, and offers you both great industry links and career support - you can find out all about it here!

I'd also recommend that you try chatting to some of our PPE students, Jack or Mweo for some more advice about the course itself and the importance of maths knowledge/ A Level.

If you have any questions about Reading, please feel free to ask and we'll do our best to help you out!

Kat :smile:
3rd Year History Undergraduate

Thank you! I looked and the course and it does look really good, especially the fact that the economics aspect is mainly focused on the practical impacts of economics. You’ve definitely got me thinking about studying PPE at less ‘coventional’ institutions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending