The Student Room Group
University of York
York

2024 Accommodation at York

Hi everyone,

This is your heads up that we’ll be opening our accommodation for undergraduate offer holders on 18 March at 12 noon (GMT).

Keep an eye on your emails and our accommodation web pages and we’ll be in touch soon with all the information you need to know!

In the meantime, here’s some useful resources to help you get organised:

Any questions about college life and living in York please let us know below!

For more technical questions you can speak to the Accommodation team using their live chat (bottom right corner of this webpage), email [email protected] or call us on +44 (0)1904 322165. They'll pick up enquiries between 10am and 4pm, Monday to Friday (excluding bank holidays).

We look forward to welcoming you to your new home at York!
Hi! Is accommodation allocated on a first come first served basis once it opens ?
University of York
York
letsgoo. any1 else gonna apply for James college accommodation :smile:))
Original post by joanna_ella
Hi! Is accommodation allocated on a first come first served basis once it opens ?
Hi!

So, we collect and hold all applications until our guarantee deadline date (31 July). Then from UK A Level results day, we put all firm-choice guaranteed students through our ‘mass allocator’ system in batches. Students will get their first choice if possible, but there are multiple factors including how popular your first choice is with other students.

As long as you apply by 5pm BST on 31 July 2024, you're guaranteed an offer of a single-occupancy room in accommodation owned, managed or approved by the University.

I hope this helps!

Hazel :smile:
Thanks Hazel, that's very helpful :smile:
Original post by University of York
Hi!
So, we collect and hold all applications until our guarantee deadline date (31 July). Then from UK A Level results day, we put all firm-choice guaranteed students through our ‘mass allocator’ system in batches. Students will get their first choice if possible, but there are multiple factors including how popular your first choice is with other students.
As long as you apply by 5pm BST on 31 July 2024, you're guaranteed an offer of a single-occupancy room in accommodation owned, managed or approved by the University.
I hope this helps!
Hazel :smile:
Hi Hazel

Quick question, I think students are given 7 room choices 3 of which have to be shared bathroom, does the system assume they are in order of preference and allocation is based on that order ie if you really want an ensuite you can put your first 4 choices down as ensuite and the remaining 3 as shared and hopefully you’ll be lucky enough to be given one of your first 4 preferences?

Is there any data that shows how many applicants apply to each college vs spaces available - I know some Unis publish this so students can get an idea of how competitive a particular room type or college is before they make their choice. No problem if this isn’t available

Many thanks
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi Hazel
Quick question, I think students are given 7 room choices 3 of which have to be shared bathroom, does the system assume they are in order of preference and allocation is based on that order ie if you really want an ensuite you can put your first 4 choices down as ensuite and the remaining 3 as shared and hopefully you’ll be lucky enough to be given one of your first 4 preferences?
Is there any data that shows how many applicants apply to each college vs spaces available - I know some Unis publish this so students can get an idea of how competitive a particular room type or college is before they make their choice. No problem if this isn’t available
Many thanks
Hi!

Yes, it's best to rank your options so if you want an ensuite, definitely put these as your top choices. We don't publish any data as far as I know, sorry! If you email [email protected] they might be able to give you this info but I'm not sure if it's available. :smile:
Hi everyone,

Our undergraduate accommodation is now open for applications! Let us know if you need help choosing your options :smile:
Original post by ReeceV123
hey it says on the york website that i should choose at least 3 options with a shared bathroom. do i need to do this?
Hi,

The system won't submit the application unless seven preferences have been selected. Out of the seven, there can only be four ensuite preferences, leaving the three shared bathroom options. I'd suggest that if you would like an ensuite room, make sure you put the three shared bathroom options towards the end of their preference list (they go in order of preference 1-7). Hope this helps :smile:
Is there any information on the number of people per flat / townhouse for each of the bands / colleges? Thanks
Original post by Anonymous
Is there any information on the number of people per flat / townhouse for each of the bands / colleges? Thanks

Hi!

This really varies between our colleges. In general, the lower the band, the more students per flat/house and therefore the more students sharing kitchen/bathroom facilities (unless it's ensuite). Do you have any colleges/bands in mind? Let me know and I can ask our accommodation team for more details!

Hazel 🙂
Original post by University of York
Hi!
This really varies between our colleges. In general, the lower the band, the more students per flat/house and therefore the more students sharing kitchen/bathroom facilities (unless it's ensuite). Do you have any colleges/bands in mind? Let me know and I can ask our accommodation team for more details!
Hazel 🙂

Thank you! We are looking at colleges on East campus, band 3 or 4. David Kate and Anne Lister are top of the list but assume they are pretty popular!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending