The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

I think university fees should be abolished

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
jacketpotato
Plenty of senior people in the business world didn't go to university - Richard Branson for one.

I agree. But I did actually prove my point that most employers are graduates themselves, which was just a little side issue that you were wrong on there. It's not that important, but I just felt I needed to defend it. Anyway...

Quite why you think that sending more and more people to university will benefit employment rates is beyond me.

This is because you seem to be arguing that future economic growth will come from plumbers and electricians.

For a lot of students, who either can't be bothered to do any work or who are studying silly courses, university is now a complete and utter waste of time; and encouraging this time-waste for people who aren't suited to university doesn't benefit anybody.

Sure, there are people for whom university is just a way to pass the time between 18 and 21. That's always been the case, and will always be the case. However, these people would waste their time one way or another whether university was there for them or not. In constructing a system, however, you have to assume that people will make the choices that are best for them.

Sending people to university doesn't give them better skills or make them more likely to employ people than they otherwise would.

How can you justify this? It's a fact that we're moving more towards a knowledge-based economy. Universities, whether you agree with this or not, are the places where much of this knowledge is imparted, in whatever form and at whatever level. By providing more people with the knowledge they require, you are empowering them to enter sectors of this new economy and become potential employers.

Many people benefit more from a non-university course or from working, and get their skills that way.

You're far too black and white. Again, this is a true statement, but we're talking about the relative numbers of people going to university, not the fact that there exist some people for whom university is not the right path. I agree with this (as I said at the top of this post), so kindly do not make this point again.

Really, if you want to pursue your argument any further, you will have to illustrate how the economy is changing in such a way that we need fewer people going to university. So far you haven't addressed this at all, spoken in absolute terms without seeing things relatively or as having a rate of change, and your argument has failed miserably as a result.
Reply 81
Chattykatty88
If the government abolished fees then maybe they could aim for targets like 75-80% of youngsters going to university. If Britain wants to be a competitive economy with skilled and educated people, it needs to aim to get the whole of its young generation through the doors of a university. Britain annually churns out 300,000 graduates, whereas countries such as India and China churn out 2-3million. Therefore how can we compete? By removing the barriers that prevent people from going to uni; namely tuition fees. What do you guys think?

I'd rather make my own life decisions, thanks.
Chattykatty88
And are you going to be the one that aims to sweep the streets, or scub **** from public toilets filled with needles? People need aspirations and that what university imbues them with.

maybe. But some people still need to do those jobs.

superluke2k8
First of all, Say NO to international students, this would give a British Degree Prestiege, and make the degree more worthwhile, whilst freeing up places for those that are skeptical about going due to the fees. The fees can be lowered but not abolished. I think if they were something like £1000 a year, with free Accomadation, then it would stop people going to uni and p!ssing about because theres still a nominal cost.?

How the hell do you suggest we do that?
The reason why our tuition fees aren't higher than 3k atm is because the international students pay much more, thus subsidising home students. If you take away that income stream, how on earth do you expect the universities to still be able to lower tuition fees and provide free accommodation. Sorry, but this is the real world.
Reply 83
adilmorrison
I think you should be abolished...

Looooooooooool.
Reply 84
(too many posts to read, so I skipped them, sorry if you mentioned these already)

Abolishing tuition fees means that the university has to dig the money out from somewhere else - i.e. the government

This leads to the government having to dig the money out from somewhere else - i.e. Us, through taxes. Would you like that?

From what I heard, just by rumour (I'm not even sure if this is true or not!) - China and India are just slightly bigger in size and have a slightly bigger population, right?

Even then in China and India, I'm sure they all have to pay for their tuition fees, so why abolish it in the UK?

//Andy
cpj1987
Not true. University is a place for an education, not just to train you for a job.

Well I don't know of anyone who is going to university just for education. Yes education is important and enjoyable, but at the end of the day, degrees and higher level qualifications are FOR JOBS. They should enable you to go to get a better career than with just A levels or NVQs. Anyone who goes to uni and gets a useless qualification from a second rate of university is a waste of time; there's alot of people doing this; why should the government and more importantly our taxes pat for this?
Reply 86
hazzypants
Well I don't know of anyone who is going to university just for education. Yes education is important and enjoyable, but at the end of the day, degrees and higher level qualifications are FOR JOBS. They should enable you to go to get a better career than with just A levels or NVQs. Anyone who goes to uni and gets a useless qualification from a second rate of university is a waste of time; there's alot of people doing this; why should the government and more importantly our taxes pat for this?

I'm not saying they should. If tuition fees were abolished people would be funding the degrees of others even more; thus, they shouldn't be abolished.

It did seem a little incongruous- kind of pandering to the student vote. If they drop that, they only have proportional reputation to drop and then they may even be something I might consider voting for.
Reply 89
Morbo
What's wrong with having well-educated plasterers?

That isn't what I was saying. Plastering doesn't require a degree to learn, nor do we need that many doctors. If everyone goes to university, a lot of them are going to be getting ripped off frankly. The competition doesn't get fiercer, they just don't get to run despite having entered, if that makes any sense?

I mean, my degree is pretty much useless without further study. Their aren't many jobs it is applicable too as a degree. Luckily I do actually plan to go into the field, so it isn't so bad for me.

Then again, what other people say is true too. If you go to university to learn, to advance yourself in other ways without necessarily worrying about a job afterwards, then that is a different matter.
Reply 90
bambii
The point is that university should be available if you want to go and are able enough. Having university fees closes the option of going to university to some who might wish to go otherwise. I don't think anyone's saying everyone should go to university, just that it should be open to more people.

Do you think 50% or more of people are university material?

Do you think that people who didn't go to university should have to shell out billions in tax every year so Matilda can get a degree? No, that isn't how opportunity works in my opinion.
I think fees for hard science, medical students ect should be abolished because these are productive and highly valued. And pay for that by taking away the loans for art, music, performing arts and others I can't think of, maybe psychology? Too many people goto uni to **** around for three years, not to get an education to go into employment.
Reply 92
Seven_Three
I think fees for hard science, medical students ect should be abolished because these are productive and highly valued. And pay for that by taking away the loans for art, music, performing arts and others I can't think of, maybe psychology? Too many people goto uni to **** around for three years, not to get an education to go into employment.

Taking away the loans, or increasing the fees?
cpj1987
Taking away the loans, or increasing the fees?

I dunno, possibly both.
Reply 94
Seven_Three
I dunno, possibly both.

So, you want to take away the loans for MOST subjects, meaning that only a few subjects are taught properly at university, and that anyone who wants to do a different subject is likely to have to wait until they're 30+ to study theirs?
That means that someone who wants to study one of your 'less useful' subjects has to save their own money, to then pay for a degree which'll be of benefit to them for ten years less than it otherwise would.
cpj1987
So, you want to take away the loans for MOST subjects, meaning that only a few subjects are taught properly at university, and that anyone who wants to do a different subject is likely to have to wait until they're 30+ to study theirs?
That means that someone who wants to study one of your 'less useful' subjects has to save their own money, to then pay for a degree which'll be of benefit to them for ten years less than it otherwise would.

Exactly. Wouldn't you rather have the money being used to fund someones three year holiday be used to have better policing, better hospitals? They don't need the money and all they do is doss and party.
Reply 96
Seven_Three
Exactly. Wouldn't you rather have the money being used to fund someones three year holiday be used to have better policing, better hospitals? They don't need the money and all they do is doss and party.

Just because someone isn't doing physics, maths or medicine, that doesn't mean they're having a 'three-year holiday'.
Personally, I'd rather my money stopped going on wars, and instead was used to improve services AND education.
cpj1987
Just because someone isn't doing physics, maths or medicine, that doesn't mean they're having a 'three-year holiday'.

I hate to spoil it for you but it does. You're avoiding the point, why should we have to pay for people to do unproductive things? Becuase I've got better things to spend my money on tbvh.

Personally, I'd rather my money stopped going on wars, and instead was used to improve services AND education.

But you wouldn't be improving 'education' because these people goto uni as a matter of ethier doing what all their friends are doing or to avoid going to work, i.e. not for the purpose of education. Catch 22. I'd rather the money be spent on national defence tbh.
Reply 98
Seven_Three
I hate to spoil it for you but it does. You're avoiding the point, why should we have to pay for people to do unproductive things? Becuase I've got better things to spend my money on tbvh.

But you wouldn't be improving 'education' because these people goto uni as a matter of ethier doing what all their friends are doing or to avoid going to work, i.e. not for the purpose of education. Catch 22. I'd rather the money be spent on national defence tbh.

As I've already said, I'm not necessarily saying that you should pay for people to do subjects which won't benefit the economy as much. HOWEVER, these people pay their taxes too. Still, ignoring that, I'm not suggesting these people should be allowed free education on your taxes, but stopping LOANS, which they PAY BACK, is a ridiculous idea.

You really believe that anyone not doing maths, a traditional science, or a medicine course attends university for FUN?
I got some good news recently. On my languages course, you would usually have to pay over 1, 500 GBP on fees for the third year abroad. Anyway they have recently decided to waiver this for all students, regardless of household income.

It is a bit annoying that we have to pay tuition fees, then again my parents have had to pay my school fees so it is hardly a culture shock.

Latest

Trending

Trending