The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Celebrities make a positive contribution to society- discuss

I've got to do a formal debate on this on Thurs- has anyone got any opinions?
Amy Winehouse - no way!
btw, it's gonna be hard to do a *formal* debate on celebrities lol
Reply 3
Leonardo DiCaprio <3

He is a brilliant actor and a wicked role model.
Reply 4
A contribution to society should be judged soley on the individual.

Some celebrities make a good contribution whilst others don't. The same as ordinary people really.
Reply 5
In a way, but celebrities do count as a group in the same way as Zionists, Doctors, the British etc are groups.

Do you think the world would be better or worse without the idea of "celebrity"
Reply 6
Celebrities are role models to many people, and therefore they have a great impact on people. Whether this impact is positive or not, depends on the celebrity and the person who views the celebrity as his/her role model.
I believe the celebrities of these days have set a number of fair examples (donating to charity, working hard, etc.), but I also believe today's celebrities generally much less a suitable role model for everyone than propagandist role models in totalitarian regimes were.
Reply 7
applecrombie
In a way, but celebrities do count as a group in the same way as Zionists, Doctors, the British etc are groups.

Of course they do. They are multiple people with something in common.

Yes they do make a positive contribution to society. Usually because they are entertainers of some form. I'd say entertainment is usually a positive contribution.
everybody contributes.

Sure it might not always be a positive contribution, but a lot of the time, their contributions help kids not make the same mistakes as the celebs do(e.g.. seeing amy winehouse and britney spears falling apart) - helps kids see how not to act.
Reply 9
Right, the debate is about celebrities as a group, it is going to do me no good to say weeeeeeelll first i must go through each case individually.
Reply 10
soz, that was in repy to pysk, forgot to quote
Reply 11
They may give a ray of hope or enjoyment to someones life, great actors potray great characters and entertain people. Footballers entertain people. Many of these 'celebrities' din't ask to become celebrities, they were just willing to show off their talent and do what their good at. The money they get paid is ridiculous yet without them life would be a very dull and talentless place.

Reality TV stars are the exception of course.
pahaha are you kidding me? All they do is party, occasionally sleep with someone they shouldn't and make a couple of movies. All like us except for the movies part :P
Reply 13
celebrities allow us to develop our own moral guidelines, and tell us what is acceptable in our own lives, essentially we can learn from their mistakes. x
Premiership footballers and rap stars are doing a great job keeping unemployment figures down. Think of the gangs of jiggy boys and glamour-tootses that they are supporting who would otherwise be on the dole!
On what actions would this be based? I don't think that "celebrities" are instantly heroes. Far from it. They are just people who are rich and famous for some reason or other, most often being well-known entertainers. But I tell you this, entertainment is not always a positive contribution to society, either. Aside from their entertainment value, celebrities are hit and miss with charity work. They will often just donate to charity to appear good and popular. However, there are much less prominent people who are not famous but who put alot more work into "good causes". Celebrities are just normal human beings, and also more prone to vices than others. Why else is drug usage so much of a problem in Hollywood?

Latest

Trending

Trending