The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

15year-old from my 6th Form going Cambridge!

A 15year-old from my 6th Form has been offered a place at Cambridge University. I did Maths XL with this guy :P!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/4359792/15-year-old-maths-prodigy-wins-place-at-Cambridge-University.html

Amazing or what?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Impressive i suppose, but do you really reckon he has the maturity to start uni. Its not jsut the studying etc, he has to be able to look after himself. My mum knew someone at oxford who got in like that, was uber-clever but couldn't cope with all the responsibility, and had to drop out.
Impressive though, it has to be said
Amit92
A 15year-old from my 6th Form has been offered a place at Cambridge University. I did Maths XL with this guy :P!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/4359792/15-year-old-maths-prodigy-wins-place-at-Cambridge-University.html

Amazing or what?

Where the hell is Magdalen College? Certainly not in Cambridge...

I would say that going to University at that age is silly. You'll have nothing in common with the rest of the people and you won't be able to participate in many of the activities. You'd be better off being at school for a couple more years, rather than being pushed through the system at a record place. There were a couple of guys in my school who were pushed through the maths system by 3 years, but they did other A-levels in sixth form too and only went to university at the right time.

Also, remember that a maths offer is not equal to a maths place. The lad may very well fail to pass the STEP exams - 50% of people who take them don't get the grades they need.
Reply 3
Awesome. If I could have gone to university three years ago I would have done so without a doubt.
I feel quite sorry for this guy in a way, hes got onto an amazing course granted but socially hes probably going to be quite excluded from the other students and thats half of the Uni experience wasted.
Reply 5
Arrogant Git
Where the hell is Magdalen College? Certainly not in Cambridge...

stfu fool. When you get here you can start claiming to know of all colleges.
Reply 6
what's the point...he can't legally buy alcohol.
Reply 7
But... What was his STEP offer? We all know Cambridge make three or four times as many offers as they have places for Maths. Good on him, but I wouldn't want this published if I was him.
whiplash

When I get where?
Reply 9
whiplash

I think the point was that 'Magdalen' is Oxford, 'Magdalene' is Cambridge.
v-zero
But... What was his STEP offer? We all know Cambridge make three or four times as many offers as they have places for Maths. Good on him, but I wouldn't want this published if I was him.

So what would they do if LOADS of people pass? Like twice more than usual?
Reply 11
Its been in many of the local papers near us and now a national paper. Hes really proud and confident on his offer!
He's going to end up very screwed up later in life, just like every other early entrant.
Pushy parents..when will they learn?
I don't think it requires any sort of special intelligence above every other mathematically able student to be doing A-levels at 15, just particularly pushy parents who force you to learn faster than you schoolmates.
Reply 14
It is amazing that he has the intelligence to be accepted into Cambridge at such a young age, but then again it would be better to wait a few years before going to University because it isn't just a test of intelligence, but also maturity and life. I doubt a 15 year old would be able to cope with all that comes with University life.
Bubbles*de*Milo

Won't happen, but if it did happen they couldn't just tell people who met their offers to go away.
Bubbles*de*Milo

Cambridge mark it. So they can shift the borderlines so that the same number of people pass each year. Of course, it happens that some colleges make 20 offers for 10 places, and 15 pass- in that case they let in all 15, or that they make 20 offers and only 5 pass, in which case they let in near-failures from other colleges.
Reply 17
He's from ashton :smile: 10 mins away from me. Well done to him what a great opportunity I hope it doesn't mess him up.
Reply 18
He's way too young. I mean, he's so young that presumably his parents will have to go with him to look after him. 15 is ridiculous. He ought to do something else for at least the next two years.
Reply 19
Congrats to him. God, makes me feel a little stupid. lol

Latest

Trending

Trending