The Student Room Group

Should disabled people be allowed to reproduce?

Yay or nay?

If the condition is hereditary, or say a handicapped person is in a position where they cannot reasonably and safely look after a child, should restrictions be placed on their freedom to have children?

If people have a genetic condition which means there is a great chance that any children they bear will be handicapped, should they be given permission to become parents?

People in wheelchairs obviously can't be parents, but what about other less restricting disabilities?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
no wonder why you have negative rep...
ten bob
People in wheelchairs obviously can't be parents, but what about other less restricting disabilities?

This statement is completely false and quite offensive. Please edit it/remove it and I'll answer your question seriously.
ten bob
Yay or nay?

If the condition is hereditary, or say a handicapped person is in a position where they cannot reasonably and safely look after a child, should restrictions be placed on their freedom to have children?

If people have a genetic condition which means there is a great chance that any children they bear will be handicapped, should they be given permission to become parents?

What are you basing that on?

I think whoever wants to reproduce should have the right to, this argument has similaritys to Hitler's Aryan Race idea.
Reply 4
im pretty sure people in wheelchairs can be parents
e.g Tanni Grey-Thompson the paralympian

im pretty reactionary but this is a bit nazi ish
Reply 5
hodgey90
no wonder you have negative rep...

Yeah no wonder.
Reply 6
what you gonna do put a chastity belt on them, kill their offspring?
skeletom
im pretty sure people in wheelchairs can be parents
e.g Tanni Grey-Thompson the paralympian

im pretty reactionary but this is a bit nazi ish

It's is very Nazi-ish...
People shouldn't be punished for things that they cannot control.
Eugenics in action, ppl.
Reply 9
ten bob
Yay or nay?

And there ends any serious discussion that may have ensued.
Reply 10
Teigan
And there ends any serious discussion that may have ensued.

Why?

You're not seriously telling me that wheelchair people can be adequate parents?

What about picking children up from the floor? Bathing children? Pushing a puschair? Entering the parents three-legged-race at sports day?
ten bob
Why?

You're not seriously telling me that wheelchair people can be adequate parents?

What about picking children up from the floor? Bathing children? Pushing a puschair? Entering the parents three-legged-race at sports day?

They have different ways of being parents, you don't have to bond over sports things, how about verbal bonding. My mum brought me up and she's been in a wheelchair since before then...
Reply 12
ten bob
Entering the parents three-legged-race at sports day?

Total W4nk3r!
Reply 13
foolsihboy
They have different ways of being parents, you don't have to bond over sports things, how about verbal bonding. My mum brought me up and she's been in a wheelchair since before then...

But don't you agree that you would have been better off with a fully working, able-bodied parent?
Only on TSR could you find a pro-eugenics argument.
ten bob
But don't you agree that you would have been better off with a fully working, able-bodied parent?

Not in the slightest to be honest, and I find it disturbing that anyone can think that way. I had my dad to do the sporty type of things with me (when he was off work/in the evenings) and then I did other stuff with my mum.

To be honest I actually think I turned out better BECAUSE of it because I spent alot of my childhood looking after her (not saying I wouldn't have liked to have more free time) but now I'm not inconsidirate/ungreatful like so many of my friends of what it is to look after a house/person. It's also helped me to become much more self-sufficient
Reply 16
ten bob

Umm......what? :lolwut:
Step 1) Open the thread
Step 2) Glance at the OP's reputation
Step 3) Confirm the OP is an idiot.
Hmughal
Total W4nk3r!

Completely agree with you!!!!

Both of my parents neve participated in the three legged race and neither or them are in wheelchairs so that statement was idiotic!

As for pushing a pushchair, I'm quite sure that there are some available for those in wheelchairs to use.

And for picking up an infant, you don't just sit a baby on the floor. They could perhaps sit the child on a sofa and ensure that it is surrounded by cushions so that it could not fall.

You should think before you type!
where would the world be without disabled people?? think about it! stephen hawkins, christopher reeve, charles xavier, beethoven etc!

Latest

Trending

Trending