The Student Room Group

Images in Essays

Hiya, i'm trying to write my first uni essay, is it appropriate to include images or should it be words only? I have no idea what structure to really use!
Jade (probably)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ProbablyJade
Hiya, i'm trying to write my first uni essay, is it appropriate to include images or should it be words only? I have no idea what structure to really use!
Jade (probably)

I expect it varies between universities, but I didn’t in first year.
Reply 2
Your course handbook shouod have something on this (and how to do it if it is appropriate).

Failing that, bang off an email to the relevant staff member.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by gjd800
Your course handbook shouod have something on this (and how to do it if it is appropriate).

Failing that, bang off an email to the relevant staff member.

This is summer work so i haven't got a handbook/know which staff member to contact
Reply 4
When I did my essays (life science essays) I included images and diagrams but had to always reference correctly (Harvard Referencing) under the picture and again in the bibliography. Do you have to put the images in, or are they there for just looks?
Reply 5
This is summer work so i haven't got a handbook/know which staff member to contact

So it hasn't been set?
Original post by gjd800
So it hasn't been set?

Yep, it got emailed to me
Reply 7
Yep, it got emailed to me

By a staff member?
Reply 8
I will add that if this is happening before you have started then I'd not lose too much sleep. They will know that people are likely to make some mistakes re formatting and referencing, it's normal.
I wouldn’t use images in an essay but this depends on your subject, diagrams should be fine but send a quick email to however sent you the essay to confirm it.
We have done poster presentations as coursework and they encourage lots of colour and pictures, but none whatsoever in our essays, but obviously this varies depending on the subject and university
Maybe write your essay and make a separate document with the pictures and references until you can find out if it’s allowed?
Original post by gjd800
By a staff member?

By the university, when i was accepted
Original post by GSedgley
I wouldn’t use images in an essay but this depends on your subject, diagrams should be fine but send a quick email to however sent you the essay to confirm it.
We have done poster presentations as coursework and they encourage lots of colour and pictures, but none whatsoever in our essays, but obviously this varies depending on the subject and university
Maybe write your essay and make a separate document with the pictures and references until you can find out if it’s allowed?

Okay thank you! I don't have any specific images i wanted to include but just wondered if in uni essays you were supposed to
Reply 12
By the university, when i was accepted

Do you know who the course leader is? If it is worrying you, I'd just send off a quick email to them asking about it.
Original post by gjd800
Do you know who the course leader is? If it is worrying you, I'd just send off a quick email to them asking about it.

Okay, i can look on the website, thanks for the advice!
@ProbablyJade

[is your mum still working on the name :colondollar:?

Hi,

I would use the old adage "A picture paints a thousand words".

My view is that you should defo include some large, clearly-labelled diagrams as long as they complement the text, particularly in the sciences, if you are starting a science-based degree. It sounds to me from your posts that this essay is for before starting uni - I am sure there will not be any strict rules for this (or even guidelines) - the uni is trying to assess your ability to write in good English, to organize paragraphs/text/ideas in a logical smoothly flowing prose format and probs also gauging your motivation, commitment and effort in locating info.

They will also be looking for passion for the subject and will revel any original thoughts.

M (postgraduate lecturer)
Original post by macpatgh-Sheldon
@ProbablyJade

[is your mum still working on the name :colondollar:?

Hi,

I would use the old adage "A picture paints a thousand words".

My view is that you should defo include some large, clearly-labelled diagrams as long as they complement the text, particularly in the sciences, if you are starting a science-based degree. It sounds to me from your posts that this essay is for before starting uni - I am sure there will not be any strict rules for this (or even guidelines) - the uni is trying to assess your ability to write in good English, to organize paragraphs/text/ideas in a logical smoothly flowing prose format and probs also gauging your motivation, commitment and effort in locating info.

They will also be looking for passion for the subject and will revel any original thoughts.

M (postgraduate lecturer)

thank you! this was so helpful :smile: i think i will probably include the images

(i'll update you if mum decides)
Jade (probably)

NO. You would be expected to have brilliant communication skills to covey your messages across. You wouldn't be allowed to put in images because they are informal, have copyright (which universities take seriously), and look plain bad. Often if done well, you can get messages across better if thoroughly explained. You may be allowed to put in diagram, which you have created (you can't use other peoples off the internet, without their permission) but often it is so mundane and cumbersome to make them, that in keeping with time, it is better to just explain what you want to convery
Original post by Henrysewell96
NO. You would be expected to have brilliant communication skills to covey your messages across. You wouldn't be allowed to put in images because they are informal, have copyright (which universities take seriously), and look plain bad. Often if done well, you can get messages across better if thoroughly explained. You may be allowed to put in diagram, which you have created (you can't use other peoples off the internet, without their permission) but often it is so mundane and cumbersome to make them, that in keeping with time, it is better to just explain what you want to convery

This is pure bukem.

In life sciences the use of figures aren't just allowed but are expected. While the precocious students will produce their own, correctly referenced copy paste jobs are perfectly acceptable.
Original post by Sulfolobus
This is pure bukem.

In life sciences the use of figures aren't just allowed but are expected. While the precocious students will produce their own, correctly referenced copy paste jobs are perfectly acceptable.

Hi Sulfolobus,

Thank you for pointing out the facts as they stand in reality - I don't know what the word "bukem" means, but if it is a synonym for bovine faeces, your analysis is highly accurate!

M
(edited 5 years ago)
thank you! this was so helpful :smile: i think i will probably include the images

(i'll update you if mum decides)

My pleasure - if you need guidance or proof-reading, please feel free to ask - I have got degrees in a variety of sciences (sorry that sounds like having a large temporal width :smile:), and the editors of one of my books nicknamed me "Hawk Eyes", so should be able to make your essay error-free.

M

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending