The Student Room Group

learning german over the summer

so im planning on learning german over the summer (self tutoring) using one of those language cd things that you can get at whsmith i presume. Is this a good way to go about it? Has anyone ever taught themselves a language using one of these resources?

Im doing it because next year at uni im going to take up a language module which is german, plus knowing 4 languages would be an achievement!
I've never used one of those thingies, but German's quite an easy language to learn, as it's very formulaic in the structuring of sentences, and if you already speak three languages, I wouldn't have thought you'd have any problems
Reply 2
I tried it with French and it wasn't too bad. They only really teach you the complete basics though but if that's what you're after then that's ok.
tbh- i don't think you'd get very far with that-
Id say the only way is to learn from native speakers- if you don't live somewhere where you could find a german speaker who wants to do a language exchange- there'll definitely be german people on the internet who want to do a 'Tandum' with a native english speaker
Reply 4
If you're doing it next year in uni then this will give you a head start. All though with german there's only so far you can get with self tutoring IMHO, because when you get to Passive tense, and Dative/genetive you NEED someone to explain it to you.
Reply 5
I've been learning German for 6 years, I still suck
Reply 6
Si_G
If you're doing it next year in uni then this will give you a head start. All though with german there's only so far you can get with self tutoring IMHO, because when you get to Passive tense, and Dative/genetive you NEED someone to explain it to you.

good point, i was thinking the same thing. I thought i might aswell do it because it should help. the only german i know is hello, welcome, and 'hans get to cover, grenade' (call of duty games helped with that :tongue: )
Reply 7
This'll probably teach you personal stuff, holidays, food, times etc.

Latest

Trending

Trending