The Student Room Group

Right or Wrong?

Scenario
You have taken your child to a day care centre and you informed the people that he/she was unwell but you have brought some medicine to use as and when needed. The child was complaining of tummy ache but the leader at the time said that she doesn't agree within giving the medicine.

Is this a right or wrong decision? and as a parent would you be annoyed?

please reply would like to know what others think!
Reply 1
It's wrong.
Because it's going against the parent's wishes.
Is it that she doesn't agree with the ethics of making a poorly child feel better, or is it that she's not really allowed to administer medicine to kids at all as part of her job?
common_person
Is it that she doesn't agree with the ethics of making a poorly child feel better, or is it that she's not really allowed to administer medicine to kids at all as part of her job?

she is allowed, the parent signed a permission slip
Reply 4
I wouldn't feel comfortable giving another person's child medicine.

If the child was unwell I would argue that he shouldn't have been in the day care centre in the first place and should have been in the care of his mother/father in his own home.
XalwaysconfusedX
she is allowed, the parent signed a permission slip

Then she should have done it, I think. Her position allows it, she has express permission from the parent in writing, and giving the medicine is a simple thing to make the child feel better so that everyone can get on with the day. I can understand why she might feel a bit uncomfortable with it, but with permission and everything, I would.
The parent shouldn't have brought their unwell child to the daycare centre in the first place.
Reply 7
Nick_000
I wouldn't feel comfortable giving another person's child medicine.

If the child was unwell I would argue that he shouldn't have been in the day care centre in the first place and should have been in the care of his mother/father in his own home.

If I kept my kids off school, everytime they felt slightly poorly, they would never go to school. If both parents are working and they are on an antibiotic, that would mean keeping your kids off for up to 10 days.

EDIT: Not looking for a full scale debate, just thought I should mention it.
Reply 8
smellslikemarmite
The parent shouldn't have brought their unwell child to the daycare centre in the first place.

What if they only had a sore throat and was given paracetamol every 6 or so hours?

EDIT: I am not looking to get into a full scale debate on this, just curious.
Reply 9
firstly if your child is unwell then they shouldn't be in daycare where they can make all the other kiddies ill too. If however as a parent you cant get the time off work/other responsibilities to look after said child so have to take them to daycare then the daycare leader should have followed the parents wishes and administered the medication to the child. Unless they have reason to believe the medicine is causing more harm than good, the daycare leader should just give the child medicine like they were told to.
Crips
What if they only had a sore throat and was given paracetamol every 6 or so hours?

EDIT: I am not looking to get into a full scale debate on this, just curious.

Because day care centres are just breeding centres for germs. One kid has a sore throat which could turn into something more, by the time the kid is properly ill, loads of others have it too.

I don't think day care workers should administer medication, unless it's life saving (e.g. insulin for a diabetic, adrenalin for allergies, etc).
Reply 11
Crips
If I kept my kids off school, everytime they felt slightly poorly, they would never go to school. If both parents are working and they are on an antibiotic, that would mean keeping your kids off for up to 10 days.

EDIT: Not look for a full scale debate, just though I should mention it.

The poster asked for my opinion and I gave it. Since it is my opinion, obviously it doesn't have to reflect your personal view.

The OP never specified how "unwell" the child was so your presumption the he was only "slightly poorly" may be misguided. For all we know as a result of that child attending day care, other children may now also be sick.

A sick child is ultimately the responsibility of the parent. When I was younger I had severe problems with ear infections. In my 2nd year at primary school I missed 62 days. However, though both my parents worked, they always managed to take time off work as they knew it was necessary.

Regardless of the right or wrong aspects of this situation, I personally would not feel comfortable administering medicine to another persons child.
Nick_000
The poster asked for my opinion and I gave it. Since it is my opinion, obviously it doesn't have to reflect your personal view.

The OP never specified how "unwell" the child was so your presumption the he was only "slightly poorly" may be misguided. For all we know as a result of that child attending day care, other children may now also be sick.

A sick child is the ultimately the responsibility of the parent. When I was younger I had severe problems with ear infections. In my 2nd year at primary school I missed 62 days. However, though both my parents worked, they always managed to take time off work as they knw it was necessary.

Regardless of the right or wrong aspects of this situation, I personally would not feel comfortable administering medicine to another persons child.

the child has a slight cold-runny nose and cough but was complaining of tummy ache. the child is not one to complain and it was not 'attention seeking' as even when occupied the child was seen to be in discomfort.
Reply 13
Even if there is explicit permission from the parent I think that this assumes a duty of care that a teacher wouldn't necessarily want to assume. It's one thing to look after a healthy child but to administer a medicine is a whole other ball game. Legally if the teacher voluntarily assumed that duty and something happened to that child they could possibly face legal action.

I think ultimately it is down to the parent to look after their sick child and so should be kept at home.
w would be meage pissed off
Reply 15
XalwaysconfusedX
the child has a slight cold-runny nose and cough but was complaining of tummy ache. the child is not one to complain and it was not 'attention seeking' as even when occupied the child was seen to be in discomfort.

I didn't say the child was "attention seeking". The reason "unwell" was in quotation marks is due to the fact there are a variety of differences in being "unwell".

If your child has a cold then you should be aware that it is mildy contagious and he should definately not have been in a day care centre with other children.

Look at this advice (particularly the first 2) - "What can you do to avoid catching a cold?

If possible, stay away from people with colds.

Avoid crowded places where the risk of infection is greater.

Do not touch your nose or eyes after being in physical contact with somebody that has a cold.

Wash your hands thoroughly, especially after blowing your nose.

Keep rooms well aired."

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/facts/colds.htm

In my opinion the child should have been at home with his parents. I realise you will have other commitments but the child is your ultimate responsibility regardless of whatever else.
If the child is unwell s/he should be at home.

Latest

Trending

Trending