The Student Room Group

'F12=Network Service Boot' - What does that mean....? HELP!!! PLEASE!

Hey! I wonder if anyone can help? I have a Compaq Armada M300 notebook. It's been really fine to use, but when I went to turn it on 2day, a message came up saying "F12=Network Service Boot" during the load-up sequence, and that is as far as it goes....doesn't load anymore than that. Does anyone know what this means r what has to be done with it.... I have been told to remove the network card, but this hasn't helped at all! Any tried pressing the F12 key (which the notebook doesn't have, it has the F12 part within a box on the F11 key...) SoPLEEEEEEEASE help as it's driving me mad! I hav posted this thread via my PC (which also doesn't work properly).

ANY advice wud be VERY much appreciated!

:frown: :frown:

Sorry, the title of this post hasn't come out very well due to inverted commas. the message that flashes up is "F12= Network Service Boot"
Reply 1
can you get into ur bios?
Reply 2
what's a Bios? lol, sorry, I am not very computer literate. However, when i searched on the net for help, it did mention a Bios, but I don't know what that is....
Reply 3
network boot means it looks for the installs from another place on the network, instead of from a CD or the hard disk on the machine
Reply 4
technik
network boot means it looks for the installs from another place on the network, instead of from a CD or the hard disk on the machine

Is that a good or bad thing? Does this mean my laptop won't work anymore, or requires MAJOR work done on it? I don't know why it has happened. All I did was close down, and when i restarted after my lunch, this happened..... :confused:
Reply 5
buxtonlewis
Is that a good or bad thing? Does this mean my laptop won't work anymore, or requires MAJOR work done on it? I don't know why it has happened. All I did was close down, and when i restarted after my lunch, this happened..... :confused:

No that is a standard option that is displayed like that on all Compaq computers...if you have a problem it is not related to that. You probably just didn't notice it before when the computer was booting normally because it only flashs up for like a second or two. Obviously you have some kind of boot issue hence you are noticing that message...but it isn't actually related.
Looks like something's causing the machine to stop booting at the point where it would normally load Windows off the hard disk. Could be anything from a dodgy connection to a blown hard disk.

Time to find someone who knows what they're doing!
Reply 7
Thanks for all of your posts! My cousin is coming down on Sunday to sort out our PC (which is partially wrecked), give us back my sister's laptop (which is totally wrecked), and try and sort my laptop out, which also appears to have died :frown: Thanks again everyone. And Yes NikNak, it is the same thing that flashes up as normal, except this time it stays there longer!

Cheers!

Latest

Trending

Trending