The Student Room Group

Connecting ps5 to uni eduroam wifi/internet?

Hi,

Has anyone managed to connect a ps5 to the internet at uni? On PS4 you would connect via Ethernet and then log in to eduroam with your uni log in via the web browser, but on the ps5 there’s no web browser. There’s like a user manual that is a limited to web browser but it won’t open because not connected to internet

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

You might need to connect by going to your uni website and check the requirements about connect external devices to the internet. You might need the MAC address for the ps5. Just check your uni website
Reply 2
Any luck resolving this? Having the same issue and would be interested in any solution you found.
Reply 3
Did you ever manage to achieve this? Having the same issue and would be interested to know what solution you came up with.
Reply 4
Hey I just got to uni and I have a ps5 and I also have the same problem. Please tell me you found a way
Reply 5
Original post by NattyBat
Hey I just got to uni and I have a ps5 and I also have the same problem. Please tell me you found a way

Once you get the WiFi connected to your phone, hotspot it to the ps5. This worked for me.
Reply 6
Original post by LM905
Once you get the WiFi connected to your phone, hotspot it to the ps5. This worked for me.

In order to hotspot, I have to turn off wifi so that won't work
Buy a one of those boxes you connect all devices to, that box connects to your Ethernet outlet.
Reply 8
Original post by random_matt
Buy a one of those boxes you connect all devices to, that box connects to your Ethernet outlet.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean but I do have an ethernet port in my room. If I buy an ethernet cable for my ps5 will it let me connect to eduroam??
I'm not sure I understand what you mean but I do have an ethernet port in my room. If I buy an ethernet cable for my ps5 will it let me connect to eduroam??

ethernet-switch-vs-hub-vs-splitter-difference-netgear-hub.jpgYou need one of these. The issue is passing the security, your laptop which you connect to the university passes this. All other tech connected through this will no longer have that issue. Consoles cannot connect to eduroam by themselves. Make sure you are connected to the internet by you laptop first (Turn on first), then you can turn on the console.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 10
In order to hotspot, I have to turn off wifi so that won't work

I'm not sure why that's the case for your phone. Mine allows me to hotspot with WiFi on. This was the only resolution I could find to the problem.
Original post by LM905
I'm not sure why that's the case for your phone. Mine allows me to hotspot with WiFi on. This was the only resolution I could find to the problem.

What phone are you using?
You can use some laptops as a hotspot. I just use the hotspot on my Dell Windows 10 laptop for things that can't connect to eduroam, although I'm not entirely sure how many laptops have hotspots.
Original post by SpaceLover29
You can use some laptops as a hotspot. I just use the hotspot on my Dell Windows 10 laptop for things that can't connect to eduroam, although I'm not entirely sure how many laptops have hotspots.

I did the same last year to connect my Switch, all I had to do was turn the hotspot on and type in the network password :five:
All Windows laptops *should* have them (no idea about Macs though)
Original post by Chronoscope
I did the same last year to connect my Switch, all I had to do was turn the hotspot on and type in the network password :five:
All Windows laptops *should* have them (no idea about Macs though)

I didn't realise my laptop did until I needed to download something onto my Switch and did some searching around in the settings. I still don't get why unis have an internet connection that a lot of devices can't connect to though.

I just tried mobile hotspot on laptop and it wouldn't let me connect
Reply 16
What phone are you using?

Samsung s20+. Might be older models of phones don't have this option?
I still don't get why unis have an internet connection that a lot of devices can't connect to though.

The main problem is that the sort of connection most people are used to at home has maybe 15-20 devices connected, where the people using it can pretty much trust each other.

University networks have 15,000-20,000 devices connected (and maybe many more than that) shared between people where there can be no level of trust, and where it needs to be possible to identify who any given connection belongs to.

The thing to do is to search the specific university's web site for information on whether (and if so, how) devices like consoles (and wireless printers, etc) can be connected to the university's wireless service. I would expect this sort of thing to be addressed explicitly, particularly on the section of the web site that details the network(s) provided in the university's accommodation. It may be that while your laptop/tablet/phone etc connect to Eduroam, there's a specific different network for things like smart TVs and consoles.
Did you get this sorted by any chance?

Did you managed to get this sorted?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending