The Student Room Group

Can my school see my search history if I am using a vpn?

Can my school see my search history if I am in my home, using a personal device, with a vpn on but I’m using the school account? Now, please don’t judge me but, I searched a dodgy site and then I saw a screen saying ‘safe mode is on’ and realized that I was on my school email later and immediately deleted my history. The vpn I was using is very reliable and it has worked very good for years. I had everything that could help prevent the school tracking or seeing my history on, the only thing was I was using the school email. Can the administrator or IT person see my history?
Original post by VeryConcer!ned
Can my school see my search history if I am in my home, using a personal device, with a vpn on but I’m using the school account? Now, please don’t judge me but, I searched a dodgy site and then I saw a screen saying ‘safe mode is on’ and realized that I was on my school email later and immediately deleted my history. The vpn I was using is very reliable and it has worked very good for years. I had everything that could help prevent the school tracking or seeing my history on, the only thing was I was using the school email. Can the administrator or IT person see my history?

Yea, I'm pretty sure they can/
I think it's a bit like using private browsing - your internet provider can still see your internet activity
Reply 2

ignore the answers above, the answer is no

how a vpn works is it routes all of your packet data (internet data) through a 3rd party (the vpn company) before sending it forward, your packet data will be encrypted so only the sending and recieving party can see it (this is assuming your vpn isn't leaking & is correctly configured etc etc)

they can however see you are using a vpn - they will be able to tell you are sending internet data to the vpn company. just not what you're actually doing.

you dont need a vpn for that
Reply 4
sorry didn't read the actual original post properly, school might have a policy where it syncs your history using your school email (through the browser) i guess but the school as a general rule can't tell what your doing at home and furthermore they can't tell you what to do at home
I don't think VPN affects browser history, so they can, VPN is only used for protection, so no one can track you across the internet and stuff
Reply 6
In most cases, if you are using a VPN (Virtual Private Network), your school would not be able to directly see your search history. A VPN encrypts your internet traffic and routes it through a secure server, making it difficult for anyone, including your school, to monitor your online activities.
However, it's important to note that there are other ways your school might still be able to monitor your online behavior:
School Network Monitoring: While a VPN can help protect your browsing activity from external parties, if you are connected to your school's network, they may have monitoring systems in place that can track your internet usage. This may include monitoring network traffic, web proxy logs, or other monitoring tools implemented by the school.
School-Issued Devices: If you are using a school-provided device or have installed school monitoring software on your personal device, the school may have measures in place to monitor your activities regardless of VPN usage.
Third-Party Services: If you log into your personal accounts or use third-party applications or services while connected to the school network, those services may still collect and store information about your online activities.
It's important to review your school's policies and guidelines regarding internet usage to understand what monitoring practices are in place. If you have concerns about privacy, it's advisable to reach out to your school's IT department or administration to clarify their policies and discuss any questions or concerns you may have.
Additionally, always ensure that you are using a reputable VPN service that values user privacy and has a strong track record of protecting user data.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending