The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
bj_945
Wtf???

I applied to both, everyone I know got into Warwick within a month of applying. I got an AAB offer within three weeks.

UCL had 800 applicants for 40 places for my course. They rejected 600, and asked 200 to go for a test. I had to go and complete a 1 and a half hour logic test and essay in London in January, after which they rejected the majority of those people who took the test. Offers were AAA rather than AAB.

Only my experience, but I was genuinely fretting and crossing fingers over my UCL app, whereas Warwick just came through for everyone, and that was that.

In my school a couple of people got rejected from UCL and accepted by Oxbridge. That doesn"t happen for Warwick. English at UCL is over 25:1 I think.

Sorry, but I really don"t think that"s true. Warwick seems much easier to get into than UCL.

Peace x

Obviously, there will be a number of courses for which UCL is particularly hard to get into. But I can give you a fair few examples of courses for which Warwick is particularly competitive to get into. And yes, there are students who have been rejected by Warwick but got into Oxbridge. You're also neglecting the sheer number of courses for which UCL is undersubscribed, leading to lower entry entry requirements.

But across the board places like Warwick, Durham and Bristol have higher entry requirements/standards than UCL. Just take a look at the rankings you were quoting, and check out pretty much any other ranking national ranking.
Reply 41
bj_945
Wtf???

I applied to both, everyone I know got into Warwick within a month of applying. I got an AAB offer within three weeks.

That means nowt (and is just one course)

Back when I applied it was LSE, Durham and Warwick who had the highest offers outside Oxford and Cambridge (with Warwick insisting on the extra AS, despite it being very new at the time). I don't know anyone who received a UCL rejection but a few were rejected by Warwick, Durham and Nottingham. This also means nowt (and is a pathetically small sample size anyway).

It's true that a few unis, including Warwick and Durham, have higher "entry standards". It doesn't mean UCL's easier to get into and I'm not placing any weight on these statistics. But I just wonder how you can say that it's as hard to get into UCL as it is to get into Columbia. Both great unis but completely different unis, looking for different things and located in completely different countries.

Arguing over which is the better or "hardest to get into" uni is pathetic, particularly when both UCL and Warwick are amongst the strongest in the country.
I don't know why people bother debating this. We all know it goes

Oxford/Cambridge

Big blob of all other unis which are considered 'good'

Big blob of other unis which are considered 'bad'
Reply 43
Krush
Obviously, there will be a number of courses for which UCL is particularly hard to get into. But I can give you a fair few examples of courses for which Warwick is particularly competitive to get into. And yes, there are students who have been rejected by Warwick but got into Oxbridge. You're also neglecting the sheer number of courses for which UCL is undersubscribed, leading to lower entry entry requirements.

But across the board places like Warwick, Durham and Bristol have higher entry requirements/standards than UCL. Just take a look at the rankings you were quoting, and check out pretty much any other ranking national ranking.

Durham does have very high entry requirements. UCL will be taken down because it offers so many courses, and yeh loads of them are less academic and competitive, and they give even BBB offers (loads of random courses like oceanography etc.). UCL offers more uncompetitive courses than Warwick. But for the hard competitive university courses, like Philosophy, English, Economics etc., I would have thought UCL will be more competitive on the whole, and entry standards will be higher.

Peace x
Reply 44
Entry tariffs and requirements mean nothing. Thats why there is no Scottish Uni in the top dozen, the Scottish system makes for lower offers, students can get into Edinburgh or Glasgow with just BBBB in certain subjects in Scottish Higher. Ok, English students usually tend to get ABB and above offers, but even still, the system isn't fundamentally fair as a comparison. There is a top tier of UK universities, but I'd say theres 40 in this and encompasses the RG, 1994 and a number of others. There is a top part and a bottom part, with Oxbridge at one end and Surrey/Essex towards the lower reaches, but there is no definitive ranking amongst them. Some will be better than others at certain things and so on. TSR on the other hand, likes to deal in top 10s, which are ultimately futile.
This thread is so enlightening.:rolleyes:
Reply 46
River85
That means nowt (and is just one course)

Back when I applied it was LSE, Durham and Warwick who had the highest offers outside Oxford and Cambridge (with Warwick insisting on the extra AS, despite it being very new at the time). I don't know anyone who received a UCL rejection but a few were rejected by Warwick, Durham and Nottingham. This also means nowt (and is a pathetically small sample size anyway).

It's true that a few unis, including Warwick and Durham, have higher "entry standards". It doesn't mean UCL's easier to get into and I'm not placing any weight on these statistics. But I just wonder how you can say that it's as hard to get into UCL as it is to get into Columbia. Both great unis but completely different unis, looking for different things and located in completely different countries.

Arguing over which is the better or "hardest to get into" uni is pathetic, particularly when both UCL and Warwick are amongst the strongest in the country.

I dunno, for me UCL have asked for an extra AS, but Warwick haven"t.

I say they"re about as hard to get into as each other because I have done the exams for both (GCSE+A Level and SAT), and in both cases my scores are like roughly what is needed to get into each.:dontknow: Not the most scientific study admittedly, but it"s the best way I know of to compare...

Alright I"ll stop now lol.

Peace x
Reply 47
bj_945
But for the hard competitive university courses, like Philosophy, English, Economics etc., I would have thought UCL will be more competitive on the whole, and entry standards will be higher.

Maybe, maybe not. But that's a different question.
Reply 48
Krush
Maybe, maybe not. But that's a different question.

lol. fair enough. In that case your comparison is pretty much useless, but whatever
ILIGAN
That's not true at all. I've been educated in Singapore, the US, the Philippines and the UK. I've worked for a multi-billion dollar multinational banking company in NYC, London, Singapore and HK, and currently, I'm connected with ADB with headquarters in Manila and Bangkok with sub offices in Shanghai, Dubai, Tokyo and Taiwan. In all these countries I have never met any highly educated person who has heard of King's College, the University of Edinburgh, University of Manchester and University of Bristol but not of the University of Warwick or Warwick Business School. So, I don't know where you're comment is coming from and which country is Warwick not known but Bristol, King's Manchester and Edinburgh are.

Edinburgh is recognised in basically every country in the Commonwealth, largely due to its historic medical school.
bj_945
Wtf???

:ditto:
Reply 51
0404343m
I aim to be Prime Minister. Because of this aim, in a few years, I'll be catching up with the rest of the more recognised politicians.

Ergo, aiming means nothing.

Warwick's reputation has been growing really fast though, not only domestically but also internationally.
btw, I personally cannot stand any person who does not have any serious aim in life. Aimless life = imao, "why don't you die?"
ElemenT'
These threads make me laugh, but if you want to be precise using valid statistics.

1. Cambridge
2. Oxford
3. LSE
4. Imperial
5. Warwick
6. UCL
7. Durham
8. York
9. Bristol
10. Bath

These are the top 10 from the combination of Teaching/Research & average UCAS tariff.

Ooh do you have a link? :smile:
Reply 53
adilmorrison
:ditto:

yeh exactly, well we know the truth, see you there:tongue:
Reply 54
ILIGAN
That's not true at all. I've been educated in Singapore, the US, the Philippines and the UK. I've worked for a multi-billion dollar multinational banking company in NYC, London, Singapore and HK, and currently, I'm connected with ADB with headquarters in Manila and Bangkok with sub offices in Shanghai, Dubai, Tokyo and Taiwan. In all these countries I have never met any highly educated person who has heard of King's College, the University of Edinburgh, University of Manchester and University of Bristol but not of the University of Warwick or Warwick Business School. So, I don't know where you're comment is coming from and which country is Warwick not known but Bristol, King's Manchester and Edinburgh are.

I am Korean, but go to an international school in Belgium, has friends from all over the world (mostly from the Americas, Scandinavia, Asia, Middle East though), and is educated by teachers from all over the world (mainly the US and the UK though). I talk to Belgians frequently and contact with Koreans in my church and go back to Korea every summer, I guess I'm international(?), even though not as much as you are. When I told people in my church, who are highly educated since they're diplomats mostly, that I got an offer from Warwick, they seemed to have not heard of it. But when i told them about my King's and Bristol offers, almost all of them congratulated me saying that they're excellent institutions.
But when I talked to some teachers from Britain and my British friends, they generally regarded Warwick more highly than Edinburgh, king's, etc.
Check out the THES rankings published in 2005 and 2006. They do reflect the world views imao.
Reply 55
jy9626
Warwick's reputation has been growing really fast though, not only domestically but also internationally.
btw, I personally cannot stand any person who does not have any serious aim in life. Aimless life = imao, "why don't you die?"

Oh, I have plenty of aims. You miss the point. Y'know, getting a Ph.D is one of them. However, aiming does not mean I will achieve them. Its all very well Warwick saying it wants to be top 50. That means nothing though, there are dozens of Universities who would probably have a similar claim.
Reply 56
0404343m
Oh, I have plenty of aims. You miss the point. Y'know, getting a Ph.D is one of them. However, aiming does not mean I will achieve them. Its all very well Warwick saying it wants to be top 50. That means nothing though, there are dozens of Universities who would probably have a similar claim.

I was responding to Illilgan who was claiming that Warwick is more recognized internationally than Edinburgh, King's, Manchester, Bristol, etc who have already achieved more global recognition than Warwick has.
It was my speculation that Warwick is going to be in the global top 50 in a few years, considering its growth rate up to now, btw.
Reply 57
yeah GO WARWICK!!
Reply 58
imho...

1. Cambridge
2. Bath
3. Imperial
4. UCL
5. Coventry
6. Birmingham
7. KCL
8. Abertay