The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
jy9626
how absurd lol. Two manchesters in your 'Group 3'?

Sorry; that was supposed to be Birmingham.
ILIGAN
Why do we have to go back to its 2005 ranking when it already has published a newer one? :confused:

Ditto. I don't see jy9626's point.
Look, Look, Look. Here is the only good way of working out the top 10. There are only a handful of universities that have ranked in the top 10 in at least 1/2 - 1/2.5 of all rankings, and there has been 47 of them to date (accroding to wiki). These are

been in the top 10 in all 47

Oxford
Cambridge
Imperial
LSE
Warwick

These have all been in the top ten in at least half or just under a half of all rankings

UCL
Bristol
Durham
Edinburgh
St Andrews
Nottingham
York

Bath is close, but not quite the same as the above. The next after that is Kings, but that is waay down since it has only ranked in the top ten 6 times out of 47 ranings, ie nearly 1/8.

There we go, pretty conclusive stuff - check wikipedia if you dont believe me because it has all the rankings for each university.
Reply 83
Oxford
Cambridge
LSE
Imperial
Warwick

Then there are about a further 10 universities that can realistically lay claim to being a top 10 institution.
Reply 84
ScholarsInk
Ditto. I don't see jy9626's point.

I was trying to say that you can't make a bold generalizing statement that the 'THES rankings are rubbish', because their 2005 and 2006 ones imao were pretty accurate indications of the world's view.
Reply 85
ILIGAN
Sorry; that was supposed to be Birmingham.

why do you rate birmingham so highly then?
Reply 86
ILIGAN
Why do we have to go back to its 2005 ranking when it already has published a newer one? :confused:

Read what i've written for ScholarsInk. THES used to reflect the world views imao, quite rightly.

Even for this year's edition, I really think the only crucial mistake they made was LSE's position and possibly, Stanford's position. Other than that, it's fine. Well sadly, the majority of people in the world perceive it as fairly rational. so what can we do about it?
jy9626
Read what i've written for ScholarsInk. THES used to reflect the world views imao, quite rightly.

Even for this year's edition, I really think the only crucial mistake they made was LSE's position and possibly, Stanford's position. Other than that, it's fine. Well sadly, the majority of people in the world perceive it as fairly rational. so what can we do about it?

The majority of people perceive Imperial and UCL as being better than MIT, Chicago, Columbia, Princeton and Penn?

Right...
Reply 88
ScholarsInk
The majority of people perceive Imperial and UCL as being better than MIT, Chicago, Columbia, Princeton and Penn?

Right...

Jesus... On the 2005 and 2006 editions, which I consider are a bit more accurate than the recent ones, MIT, Chicago, etc are ranked much higher than Imperial than UCL. So shut up.
THES made some mistakes with this year's. But I still think the only crucial mistake they made was placing LSE 60~70, while placing Imperial under top 10.
jy9626
Jesus... On the 2005 and 2006 editions, which I consider are a bit more accurate than the recent ones, MIT, Chicago, etc are ranked much higher than Imperial than UCL. So shut up.
THES made some mistakes with this year's. But I still think the only crucial mistake they made was placing LSE 60~70, while placing Imperial under top 10.

There you go again. You're claiming that the only grave mistake this year is the LSE/Imperial placement.
Reply 90
If there is a methodology, then you must stick to it. Whatever THES used, thats where it places LSE and Imperial, deal with it. If they were to change the methodology to favour the LSE and move them up, then no doubt you'd be cheesed that someone else was out of position. What you are basically saying is, you want a table that agrees with the views in your head of where Universities should be ranked.
0404343m
If there is a methodology, then you must stick to it. Whatever THES used, thats where it places LSE and Imperial, deal with it. If they were to change the methodology to favour the LSE and move them up, then no doubt you'd be cheesed that someone else was out of position. What you are basically saying is, you want a table that agrees with the views in your head of where Universities should be ranked.

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/economics/staff/faculty/oswald/worldclassoct05.pdf
Enjoy.
This too. http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/economics/staff/faculty/oswald/worldunis04.pdf
Reply 92
ScholarsInk
There you go again. You're claiming that the only grave mistake this year is the LSE/Imperial placement.

Rankings change every year like league tables do, depending on universities' performances. So just don't read them, if you hate them so much.
jy9626
Rankings change every year like league tables do, depending on universities' performances. So just don't read them, if you hate them so much.

Yes. Completely depending on universities' performances...

Let's ignore the 2007 change in methodology, shall we...
Reply 96
ScholarsInk
Yes. Completely depending on universities' performances...

Let's ignore the 2007 change in methodology, shall we...

?
But seriously, have you even looked at 2005 and 2006 rankings by THES? No one can criticize THES so harshly after looking at those.
I suppose you're already at a university. So easy, just don't look at them if you don't like them.
Reply 97
jy9626
?
But seriously, have you even looked at 2005 and 2006 rankings by THES? No one can criticize THES so harshly after looking at those.
I suppose you're already at a university. So easy, just don't look at them if you don't like them.

Why can't we? Can we not criticise they way the table is compiled? Why are these tables so good but the subsequent ones not? Because they happen to agree with where YOU think Universities should be ranked? Oh, right.
Reply 98
0404343m
Why can't we? Can we not criticise they way the table is compiled? Why are these tables so good but the subsequent ones not? Because they happen to agree with where YOU think Universities should be ranked? Oh, right.

Criticize it. do whatever.
But you can change the fact that vast number of people look at them.
Well, if you read lots of comments about how wrong THES this year is. You'll find loads of complaints about positions of LSE, Stanford, Berkeley, UCL and Imperial, which I agree with. By taking those complaints into account, one could conclude that previous 2005 and 2006 rankings were fairly accurate in reflecting the majority's view. Thus, THES isn't complety foolish.
jy9626
Criticize it. do whatever.
But you can change the fact that vast number of people look at them.
Well, if you read lots of comments about how wrong THES this year is. You'll find loads of complaints about positions of LSE, Stanford, Berkeley, UCL and Imperial, which I agree with. By taking those complaints into account, one could conclude that previous 2005 and 2006 rankings were fairly accurate in reflecting the majority's view. Thus, THES isn't complety foolish.

2006 was still putting Imperial ahead of Chicago, Princeton and Columbia.
jy9626

Latest

Trending

Trending