The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Sikh-Muslim Riots in Birmingham?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
There has always been tension between Sikhs and Muslims. In this case it was probably caused over drugs.
Reply 41
You were dreaming:tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 43
wtf? common in Birmingham? Handsworth is pretty Ghetto so you get ghetto things happening in Ghetto areas
L i b
I'm on the Sikh side. They're usually so docile.

:rofl:
Hopefully the Sikhs will win?
Lol
Reply 48
where abouts in handsworth did u see this? And what day
g_star_raw_1989
Ermm....
Smethwick, Handsworth, Lozells, Edirdington , Aston.. the ****** places basically

parts of moseley, spark-hill, spark-brook, small heath, ladywood...

anywhere on th 8c bus route and closer to city centre.
Reply 50
xps.systems
Well, I live in London as well and whilst there doesn't seem to be a problem in the workplace and in a professional environment (very anecdotal evidence here though - there aren't THAT many Hindus/Sikhs/Pakistani or Afghan Muslims there), there is a definite avoidance of Hindus/Sikhs by Pakistani Sunni Muslims and vice versa. NOTE avoidance as opposed to hostility. The 'apartheid' effect is noticeable sometimes though. If you were to 'select' two ethno-religious groups who were markedly separated from each other to this day - I'm pretty sure (in London) that these would be the two (broad) ones that you might pick.

Though of course, broadly speaking, I'm sure a Muslim and a Sikh/Hindu could get on fine in a workplace environment - all I'm saying is that more often than not I have identified a reluctance of both groups to socialize with each other independently (i.e. of their own accord) in a way that I haven't seen with other ethno-religious groups. For example, I have seen Protestant Scots get along quite will with Catholic Irish in London - though this may only apply to London and say, not so much go Glasgow - but then I am guessing here - since I've never spent enough time in Glasgow to ever find out!

Well your experiences totally differ with mine. Here in West London the vast majority of Indians and Pakistanis are really good friends and hang around in the same social circles. I know many Indians whose best friends are Pakistani and vice versa. In fact they don't call themselves Indian or Pakistani that much but I mostly hear them refer to themselves as Asian- they ignore all the ******** politics and religion and just get on with enjoying life!
Reply 51
Lol

This sort of stuff happens all the time in Birmingham and in other places all around the Country.

I live in Handsworth and there are things like this happening every day.

Latest

Trending

Trending