The Student Room Group

Cerebrospinal Fluid (CSF)

From Mammalian Physiology and Behaviour (January 2004 - question 1C)

Cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) is formed by filtration of the blood. It bathes brian tissues, removing metabolites and excess heat, before returning into the bloodstream. CSF is similar to blood but contains no blood cells or plasma proteins. The main component of CSF is water.

i) Explain how CSF is able to remove excess heat from the brain (2marks)
ii) Explain, using the term water potential, how CSF is returned into the bloodstream (3marks)
Perhaps something about a difference in water potential - high to low?

Any help with above question? I can't seem to find the markscheme anywhere.

Edit: Found markscheme
i) idea of heat transfer, conduction absorption
high (specific) heat capacity of water
idea of circulation/movement of CSF

ii) proteins in blood
lower water potential of blood plasma; ora
osmosis/diffusion (in correct direction)
down water potential gradient
AVP; ref to meniges
Reply 1
Coursework.info
As it's been a while since you posted and nobody's responded, maybe you want to check out Coursework.Info - the UK's largest academic coursework library.
They have over 130,000 coursework documents at GCSE, A Level and University level.

They submit all their documents to Turnitin anti-plagiarism software and the site is used and approved by hundreds of thousands of UK teachers and students.

...it's been a day and I don't think coursework would help on this. :/
Reply 2
jennifer.re
...it's been a day and I don't think coursework would help on this. :/

But you've got the mark scheme now. That pretty much explains everything. What seems to be the problem? :confused:
Reply 3
EskimoJo
But you've got the mark scheme now. That pretty much explains everything. What seems to be the problem? :confused:

I was posting to that annoying Coursework "No-ones replied - perhaps coursework would help!" thing

Latest

Trending

Trending