The Student Room Group

Will I get ill ?

In my potwash it job I wore my hairtie on my wrist for my shift

I washed my hands after (and loads in between when I was free) because I’m so paranoid about this

But I’m worried it got dirty and I’ll get sick or unwell from it.

I use Milton and washing up liquid so surely not but it is a messy job.

I’ve come home and can’t stop smelling the food is the smell in my hair? Or the hairband? I’m so worried I’m going to get ill but I’ve washed my hands loads but I forgot to wash my hair tie
Throw the hairtie away if it’s of concern.

I pot washed for a year or two and never got ill. You’re more likely to catch something on the bus, walking through town or touching a door handle at uni.
Reply 2
As above. You won't get ill from it.
Original post by Anonymous #1

I washed my hands after (and loads in between when I was free) because I’m so paranoid about this

I’ve come home and can’t stop smelling the food is the smell in my hair? Or the hairband? I’m so worried I’m going to get ill but I’ve washed my hands loads but I forgot to wash my hair tie

You are no likely to catch something from touching other things than your job.

Use a antibacterial hand gel after you are finished washing up the dishes as will be more effective. Just carry a wee bottle with you and use it when necessary as better than washing up liquid. Milton is used mainly for sterlilasatiom of equipment etc.

If you feel that your hair is smelling of food then washing it when home will be best thing to do. Your hair probably is just bit greasy from working in the kitchen area of your job and you probably just catching anything that's floating around in the atmosphere in your hair but it won't be harmful.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous #1

I wouldn't be panicking about it.
Like the person in there reply ( number 1) said they have done similar job for a few years and never got ill.

Perhaps good hand hygiene will be best way forward for your hands as I would probably use a antibacterial gel for your hands and use it after finishing your pot drying - doesn't matter how many times you use it, it's will help keep the germs away.

Never use washing up liquid as that is generally bad for your hands.

What are other uses for Milton Sterilising Fluid..... Milton fluid is ideal for sterilising baby bottles, feeding utensils and other non-metallic surfaces.
Sodium hypochlorite which is the active ingredient found in Milton Sterilising Fluid can also be used for the treatment of skin infections such as eczema and impetigo. The diluted use of Sodium hypocholorites in bath can help rebalance the skin.

Quick Reply

Latest