The Student Room Group

Use of Italian language?

Heya,

I'm currently learning italian as well as french, and was wondering how useful it could be in terms of careers and employability...

I heard Italy has one of the strongest economies in the world (top 10) and so is it a very employable language to have for business, marketing and banking (eg in London), especially since very few english people can speak it?

I know it's one of the most beautiful languages in the world, if not the most beautiful, but I just want to know what the benefits - money and career-wise - would be of being fluent in Italian in a city such as London.

I hope to also be fluent in french soon, so would I be highly employable in banking, or similar careers like marketing, where I hope to work... with a degree in french and italian...

Thanks - any replies would be awesome!
Reply 1
There's probably an argument to be made for learning languages which are obviously widely spoken (like French and German) and perhaps less "obvious" languages, those not usually taught at school here, like Italian and Portuguese (which I'm learning).

I think having French and a less-spoken language like Italian is good because it makes you more adaptable, and like you say few English people speak it and that could give you an edge.

Also, as you say, Italian is particularly useful for banking and marketing and if that's what you want to go into then it sounds like a good choice!
Reply 2
It sounds nice, but I wouldn't use the Italian I learnt for anything else than a cultural purpose, meaning that I doubt I'll need it for anything else than travelling.
As a result of the legacy of the Italian Empire, it is of some use in Ethiopia and Eritrea. It is also known as a second language in Somalia, but considering the fact the country is in anarchy and in the midst of virtual civil war, you aren't likely to be going there any time soon.
There isn't much use of Italian in business in countries other than Italy (with the possibility of some countries in Eastern Africa - but I think that has pretty much died out now) and so studying it will only be useful for your various cultural travels and what have you.
Reply 5
TheMeister
There isn't much use of Italian in business in countries other than Italy (with the possibility of some countries in Eastern Africa - but I think that has pretty much died out now) and so studying it will only be useful for your various cultural travels and what have you.

Oh okay, thanks. What about french? Also, if I were to learn another language for business, what would be my best option? Is russian a highly desirable/employable language to know (more so than italian) in a city like london or paris?
Reply 6
123banana123
Oh okay, thanks. What about french? Also, if I were to learn another language for business, what would be my best option? Is russian a highly desirable/employable language to know (more so than italian) in a city like london or paris?

Do not learn Russian because it's useful, you won't learn it properly. But I'd say it's much more employable than Italian. It's also awfully more complicated and takes ages to master.
Reply 7
Anatheme
Do not learn Russian because it's useful, you won't learn it properly. But I'd say it's much more employable than Italian. It's also awfully more complicated and takes ages to master.

Yeah I know, but it's also a fascinating culture. Although it seems a very dangerous country! Out of interest, for business/banking, what would you say is the best language to know? Would you say russian?
IMO, you should learn a language because you enjoy it, not because you think it's a language that will give you the most job prospects. If you do that then you'll be learning because you have to, not because you want to.
Reply 9
123banana123
Yeah I know, but it's also a fascinating culture. Although it seems a very dangerous country! Out of interest, for business/banking, what would you say is the best language to know? Would you say russian?

I wouldn't say anything because I believe you can do what you want of a language if you have enough passion for it. And also because I don't like business/banking :h:

Latest

Trending

Trending