The Student Room Group

Learning Russian language: The Russian Learners' Society

Scroll to see replies

Could someone please translate the following into Russian please?

-Defence
-Attack/Offence
-Scout (noun)

Would be very much appreciated, thanks. :smile:
I'm going to start teaching myself Russian once exams are over, but I'm not sure which book to buy and whether I should get the book with or without cassettes.

Usually I use the Hugo In 3 Months ones, which is what I used to learn Dutch and it was a lot easier than the usual style books which teach you bits of vocabulary and conversation without teaching you any grammar. I have the French and German ones too and although I haven't actually had the chance to do those properly (I might pick up one over the summer, probably French) they seem similar so the Russian one probably would be too... If anyone knows any better ones, though, that would be good.

Second thing is that I can get the book with or without speech cassettes/CDs. Now I learned Dutch without them but I never learned any pronunciation, so I can't actually speak it, just read and write. However, they are pretty expensive and even if I did use them I would still probably be able to learn as much as I want to before September. So I don't know whether to go to the extra expense.
littleshambles
I'm going to start teaching myself Russian once exams are over, but I'm not sure which book to buy and whether I should get the book with or without cassettes.

Usually I use the Hugo In 3 Months ones, which is what I used to learn Dutch and it was a lot easier than the usual style books which teach you bits of vocabulary and conversation without teaching you any grammar. I have the French and German ones too and although I haven't actually had the chance to do those properly (I might pick up one over the summer, probably French) they seem similar so the Russian one probably would be too... If anyone knows any better ones, though, that would be good.

Second thing is that I can get the book with or without speech cassettes/CDs. Now I learned Dutch without them but I never learned any pronunciation, so I can't actually speak it, just read and write. However, they are pretty expensive and even if I did use them I would still probably be able to learn as much as I want to before September. So I don't know whether to go to the extra expense.

With Russian I think the pronunciation would be more important because of the whole new alphabet - I think it would be a whole lot easier to learn when you know what sound they all make.
Reply 83
littleshambles

I got a CD+Book from "teach yourself" which is rather good. It's got grammar, conversation, vocab and because it's on CD you get to learn how they speak. Although some of it seems a little wrong according to my Russian friend.
Reply 84
littleshambles

Colloquial Russian by Svetlana le Fleming and Susan E. Kay... Highly recommended, can be covered rapidly, and it covers the fundamentals of Russian grammar quite meticulously. Students with no experience of the Russian language use this book at Cambridge University. Terrence Wade also has two very useful books on the market: ??A comprehensive Russian grammar? and ??A Russian grammar workbook? which complement each other. Excuse any apparent drunkenness!
Reply 85
Earthly
Colloquial Russian by Svetlana le Fleming and Susan E. Kay... Highly recommended, can be covered rapidly, and it covers the fundamentals of Russian grammar quite meticulously. Students with no experience of the Russian language use this book at Cambridge University. Terrence Wade also has two very useful books on the market: ??A comprehensive Russian grammar? and ??A Russian grammar workbook? which complement each other. Excuse any apparent drunkenness!

And you can add Offord (Bristol University Press), 'cause it's easier to understand than Wadey.
I have a few grammar questions I think.. Might post later on.

Later on... :p:.

1What does this sentence mean ?

он ещё смотрит в окно

I know what the words individually mean, I think this is something i'm not interpreting, i have a funny feeling the accusative case is being used here.

2Which leads me on to the next question. I was introduced to the accusative case last and it says

(b) The direct object of a sentence is expressed in the accusative case

I think i'm having difficultly understanding what is the direct object, is it something that is having something done to it ?

3Lastly, hard and soft noun endings, how can you tell what is hard and what is soft ?

Ive been using pimsleur's tapes for pronunciation and a delightful little book for vocab and grammar by A.A Haywood.
Reply 87
insparato
I have a few grammar questions I think.. Might post later on.

Later on... :p:.

1What does this sentence mean ?

он ещё смотрит в окно

I know what the words individually mean, I think this is something i'm not interpreting, i have a funny feeling the accusative case is being used here.

2Which leads me on to the next question. I was introduced to the accusative case last and it says

(b) The direct object of a sentence is expressed in the accusative case

I think i'm having difficultly understanding what is the direct object, is it something that is having something done to it ?

3Lastly, hard and soft noun endings, how can you tell what is hard and what is soft ?

Ive been using pimsleur's tapes for pronunciation and a delightful little book for vocab and grammar by A.A Haywood.

Aaron, man, you're light blue! Crap I missed out on soooo much boxicle stuff :sad:

Anyway…

#1: "He is looking out of the window again", and yeah, the accusative is being used because "окно" is the object of the verb, rather than a place (in which case you would have had to use the prepositional).

#2: The direct object of a verb is like…
The cat eats the mouse -> "the mouse" is the direct object of the verb "to eat". It basically answers the question "who/what?", so if "the mouse" can replace "the cat eats who/what", then it's the direct object. And it corresponds to the accusative case.

#3: If you're talking about the hard/soft sign when you hear the sounds, I have no idea, and I can't make the difference. If you're talking about when you read them, the hard sign is ъ and the soft sign is ь.

If you're just talking about hard/soft sounds, then you will find this table useful. On the left you have the hard sound, and on the right, its soft equivalent.

А - Я
О - ?
Ы - И
У - Ю
Э - Е
Yeahh I knoww, I has more powers now :teeth: I got to send the PM's to the people we wanted as new little modlets too :biggrin: You should subbbb, the box ain't the same with out you.

Question 1: Yeah I pretty much assumed when i read the sentence that is what it was, the accusative makes sense there, now that you tell me.

Question 2: Again that makes sense.

Question 3: The reason I bring it up is that the book talks of the nominative plural for nouns.

' Masculine and Feminine nouns with hard endings take ы; those with soft endings take и '

Then they have the examples

стол: смолы
трамвай: трамваи
деревня: деревни
автомобиль: автомобйли
парта: парты
дверъ: двери

There's abit about soft and hard consonants in the front under pronunciation, Do you have to take in account of that when you're making nouns plural in the nominative case ? Or do you just hope that the noun ends in a vowel and can easily be changed ?
Reply 89
insparato
Yeahh I knoww, I has more powers now :teeth: I got to send the PM's to the people we wanted as new little modlets too :biggrin: You should subbbb, the box ain't the same with out you.

Question 1: Yeah I pretty much assumed when i read the sentence that is what it was, the accusative makes sense there, now that you tell me.

Question 2: Again that makes sense.

Question 3: The reason I bring it up is that the book talks of the nominative plural for nouns.

' Masculine and Feminine nouns with hard endings take ы; those with soft endings take и '

Then they have the examples

стол: смолы
трамвай: трамваи
деревня: деревни
автомобиль: автомобйли
парта: парты
дверъ: двери

There's abit about soft and hard consonants in the front under pronunciation, Do you have to take in account of that when you're making nouns plural in the nominative case ? Or do you just hope that the noun ends in a vowel and can easily be changed ?

Masculine nouns end with a consonnant and you always add -ы to make them plural, expect when they end with a soft sign (in this case, they end in -и ).

For feminine nouns, you get rid of the final vowel and put -ы, unless it's a soft sign or a я (cf. the little table above), in which case you put -и.

So basically, if the word ends in a consonnant, or a hard vowel (А, О, У, Э ), you add or replace the hard vowel by a -Ы. If the word ends in a soft vowel (Я, ?, Ю, Е ) or a soft sign, you replace either of them by -И.

I hope this clear things up!
P.S: I has no money to pay for a sub :holmes:
That explains it perfectly :smile:. Thanks Marion!
Reply 91
i've learnt the alphabet and quite a few nouns this week :biggrin: but even just after a few hours prep each day, i've noticed that i can no longer write in english :o: i keep on writing my 'n's back to front, lol. so i hope i don't forget my native tongue too readily!
Ha, I've not done that before

Anatheme
x

One last question about nominative plurals, is the semi-vowel й considered a soft vowel and therefore takes и in the ending ?

Glad to see you have sub.
Reply 93
insparato
One last question about nominative plurals, is the semi-vowel й considered a soft vowel and therefore takes и in the ending ?

Indeed :yep:
Thanking you :biggrin:, on to the questions in the chapter now :teeth:.
Reply 95
I had something to had but forgot what… :facepalm2:
EDIT: Oh, yeah, exceptions. You know about words like метро, такси, бюро, etc being invariable, right?
Reply 96
If I want to say "with my friends", would that be с моя друзьями? I'm not entirely sure what case they should be in.
Thanks
Reply 97
suneilr
If I want to say "with my friends", would that be с моя друзьями? I'm not entirely sure what case they should be in.
Thanks

In this case, you need to use the instrumental case, so you got the noun right, but the preposition has to be "моими", because it's a plural noun (it would be "мои" in the nominative rather than "моя" anyway), so "с моими друзьями". :smile:
Reply 98
Anatheme
In this case, you need to use the instrumental case, so you got the noun right, but the preposition has to be "моими", because it's a plural noun (it would be "мои" in the nominative rather than "моя" anyway), so "с моими друзьями". :smile:

Ah ok. Isn't the plural of мои, мой? I don't really understand why it's моими
Reply 99
suneilr
Ah ok. Isn't the plural of мои, мой? I don't really understand why it's моими

First, мой is the singular masculine, that you can recognise thanks to the short i, мои is the plural, because the i is longer and is a usual form of the plural (with ы ). Then, it is "моими" because you're using a pronoun and that they also take cases - in this case the instrumental. For the nominative "мои", the instrumental case will be "моими", does that make sense?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending