The Student Room Group

2 languages at GCSE- yay or nay? 😐

Hello,
I'll keep this short, but I would just like some advice about studying both French and Spanish. I love languages with a passion and am willing to work hard, but I need to see if the decision is right or not before I commit to anything. I already study French and have been given the opportunity to study Spanish on top (long story) but it is a language that I didn't really pay attention to in primary... 😓🤤

[scrollr]Woops. 🤗[/scrollr]
Well, I said this wouldn't be a long post but perhaps I lied... Anyway any advice on whether I should take Spanish or not is much appreciated, and if anybody has any revision or study tips then I would love to hear from them.

Advantages:
Love languages (already mentioned)
Willing to work hard (already mentioned)
Looks good on CV
Want to pursue languages further and potentially have a career associated with them
Pushes me further (I am working at a good grade in French which is why I have been given this incredible chance)
Looks interesting so far.

Disadvantages:
Could mix up both languages (biggest one for me)
Time consuming so other subjects such as triple science may lack.
Have to start from scratch.
Increases exams- more stress.

Worst case scenario- I start learning Spanish, don't do it properly, procrastinate and both languages go down the toilet. Meaning that my French will say au revoir and leave me forever.

Thank you! (If anyone replies?) 😂

Scroll to see replies

Personally, I wouldn't (but that's because I'm bad at languages :tongue:)

If as you say you are willing to work hard and enjoy it, I don't really see why you shouldn't
I'm willing to, but if I mix them up then I've pretty much wrecked one GCSE and then another at the same time. 😒

Original post by Bill Nye
Personally, I wouldn't (but that's because I'm bad at languages :tongue:)

If as you say you are willing to work hard and enjoy it, I don't really see why you shouldn'
Original post by Roses & Dreams
Hello,
I'll keep this short, but I would just like some advice about studying both French and Spanish. I love languages with a passion and am willing to work hard, but I need to see if the decision is right or not before I commit to anything. I already study French and have been given the opportunity to study Spanish on top (long story) but it is a language that I didn't really pay attention to in primary... 😓🤤

Well, I said this wouldn't be a long post but perhaps I lied... Anyway any advice on whether I should take Spanish or not is much appreciated, and if anybody has any revision or study tips then I would love to hear from them.

Advantages:
Looks good on CV
Want to pursue languages further and potentially have a career associated with them
Pushes me further (I am working at a good grade in French which is why I have been given this incredible chance)

Disadvantages:

Worst case scenario- I start learning Spanish, don't do it properly, procrastinate and both languages go down the toilet. Meaning that my French will say au revoir and leave me forever.

Id go for it.
If you want to possibly pursue languages later on then it would benefit you.
Speak to your teachers if you are still having doubts.
Is there the opportunity to swap one language to something else after a few days/weeks if you decide you want to change?
I really want to do, I think I might go for it. We only get one chance and this may be it for me because I love languages and my journey with French has been incredible so far.

My teacher has told me that I should go for it, he was the one who suggested it tbh.

I don't think so no. The reason being I'm going into Year 10 next year so I've already started my GCSEs (including French) this year. However, because of my grades in French I have been given the opportunity to add Spanish to French, it's an extra option and I wouldn't be able to change it to anything else. I'm the only person who would be doing French+Spanish and all of the other options that I have been taking this year.

Thank you for the reply, you've been a big help! 😄
Original post by Emma:-)
Id go for it.
If you want to possibly pursue languages later on then it would benefit you.
Speak to your teachers if you are still having doubts.
Is there the opportunity to swap one language to something else after a few days/weeks if you decide you want to change?
yes go for it - I did both Spanish and French for gcse and was my best decision and two favourite subjects, doing them both at a-level in September.they really compliment each other and get you ahead in each language
Original post by skytree94
yes go for it - I did both Spanish and French for gcse and was my best decision and two favourite subjects, doing them both at a-level in September.they really compliment each other and get you ahead in each language

Thank you!
I'm probably going to go for it, I only get one chance.
I'm glad they compliment each other. :banana:

Do you have any revision tips fpr Spanish?
Definitely go for it. At first, you might mix them up (it's natural) but over time it'll be fine and they'll both complement one another perfectly.

I did both from high school until the end of my university degree and everything went A-OK. :fluffy:
I did French and German at CGSE and it was no problem. If you're good at languages and willing to put the work in then it shouldn't be an issue really. Also, French and Spanish are very similar, so learning one helps you a lot with the other.
Reply 9
Definitely I'd say go for it! I did it and was actually in quite a similar position to you, I did french and since I was naturally good at it I was offered to do 2 languages at GCSE, so I picked spanish. Saying yes was the best choice ever and I do sometimes muddle words that are kind of similar or put an accent in the wrong place, but never anything major because I find them different enough in that sense. It will be hard work but like you said if you work hard and love languages it should be really good, and its a great life skill to learn. They also compliment each other very well, in learning style, skills needed and often even the spec. Good luck!!
Original post by Quick-use
Definitely go for it. At first, you might mix them up (it's natural) but over time it'll be fine and they'll both complement one another perfectly.

I did both from high school until the end of my university degree and everything went A-OK. :fluffy:

I guess it's better to get the mixing up out of the way now than in the actual exams. :dumbells:

I'm glad everything went so well! If you don't mind me asking, what grades did you get for them at GCSE?

Thank you for replying!
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
I did French and German at CGSE and it was no problem. If you're good at languages and willing to put the work in then it shouldn't be an issue really. Also, French and Spanish are very similar, so learning one helps you a lot with the other.

:dance: I'm definitely willing to work hard and put the effort in. I love languages more than any other subject and I am delighted to hear that they compliment each other.

Thank you!
Original post by soph_3
Definitely I'd say go for it! I did it and was actually in quite a similar position to you, I did french and since I was naturally good at it I was offered to do 2 languages at GCSE, so I picked spanish. Saying yes was the best choice ever and I do sometimes muddle words that are kind of similar or put an accent in the wrong place, but never anything major because I find them different enough in that sense. It will be hard work but like you said if you work hard and love languages it should be really good, and its a great life skill to learn. They also compliment each other very well, in learning style, skills needed and often even the spec. Good luck!!

We are in quite a similar position, except I got offered it after my writing exam in French because of my grade. :danceboy:

I'm glad it was a good decision for you, I want to say yes and I have a feeling I will accept. I do the same with accents a little, but I'm learning. Either that or I get the genders wrong but it's nothing too bad (yet :colondollar:).

I see what you mean in the way they compliment each other. I have a lot of work to do, but if I start well then I think I may get a good chance of suceeding in both.

Thank you to everybody who replied and I'm going to accept Spanish along with French. :smile:
Reply 11
No no noooo don’t do it because the workload for 1 language is enough
Reply 12
I guess it's better to get the mixing up out of the way now than in the actual exams. :dumbells:

I'm glad everything went so well! If you don't mind me asking, what grades did you get for them at GCSE?

Thank you for replying!

:dance: I'm definitely willing to work hard and put the effort in. I love languages more than any other subject and I am delighted to hear that they compliment each other.

Thank you!

We are in quite a similar position, except I got offered it after my writing exam in French because of my grade. :danceboy:

I'm glad it was a good decision for you, I want to say yes and I have a feeling I will accept. I do the same with accents a little, but I'm learning. Either that or I get the genders wrong but it's nothing too bad (yet :colondollar:).

I see what you mean in the way they compliment each other. I have a lot of work to do, but if I start well then I think I may get a good chance of suceeding in both.

Thank you to everybody who replied and I'm going to accept Spanish along with French. :smile:

I took my exams just last year and I got an 8 in french and 7 in spanish which and since i was learning spanish from scratch i was very pleased with this.

Good for you and best of luck! Enjoy
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Cindy02
No no noooo don’t do it because the workload for 1 language is enough

How difficult is it? Do you think I'll be able to manage it or not?
Original post by soph_3
I took my exams just last year and I got an 8 in french and 7 in spanish which and since i was learning spanish from scratch i was very pleased with this.

Good for you and best of luck! Enjoy

Those grades are amazing! Well done, especially with Spanish.
Thank you, and I will enjoy it. :h:

I think I got an A for both. A* didn't exist.
Oh wait; no, I would've received an A when A* etc did exist. Oops. :blushing:

I was a late bloomer when it came to foreign languages. :fluffy:
Oh wait; no, I would've received an A when A* etc did exist. Oops. :blushing:

I was a late bloomer when it came to foreign languages. :fluffy:

That's still amazing.
And it's better to be a late bloomer than no bloomer.
That's still amazing.
And it's better to be a late bloomer than no bloomer.

Let me know if you'd ever like any help or advice. I did French, Spanish and Japanese at university. I also always got full marks in my speaking and writing assignments/tests at sixth form for my two Romance languages, beating the native speakers. :woo:
Let me know if you'd ever like any help or advice. I did French, Spanish and Japanese at university. I also always got full marks in my speaking and writing assignments/tests at sixth form for my two Romance languages, beating the native speakers. :woo:

Oh my goodness, thank you! That's amazing, you should be so proud of how well you did - and to beat native speakers is incredible.

Although I generally do well in them, French speaking has always deterred me a little due to pronunciation. Would you mind giving me some advice on the French 'R' sound, I'm OK with the Spanish one because Russian has the same rolling R but French I'm struggling with.

Thanks again! 😄
Hello,

Advantages:
Looks good on CV

Disadvantages:

Hi,
If you enjoy languages and have future plans with them, the answer to your question is definitely yes.
My child did two languages at GCSE level (German and Spanish) although he is bilingual in other two.
He did both in one year with A* results, so it is definitely doable. He studied German from age 7, but he started Spanish only 10 months before he actually sat the exam. Yes, they are hard work, but in my son's case they definitely did not interfere with his other subjects, and he did all the Sciences, plus more:-)
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending