The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

fire2burn
Do you actually think it will work? :rolleyes:

They have enough trouble trying to stop teenagers truanting during school hours, let alone in their own free time.

I didn't say I thought it would WORK, I said it was a GOOD IDEA.

This is what I'm saying - the Government aren't harsh enough on young people. Teenagers are given too much power. Prison? Jail? Just a holiday! There's nothing to give them the incentive to say "Wait, I shouldn't do this, because if I do the consequences will be bad etc." It's time to get tough on them and ensure they do something other than sit around doing nothing other than disrespecting people. (Not everyone does this, I know, but it's a slipperly slope...!)
Reply 21
JmsG
As long as the people on benefits do it im happy.

So everyone should have to do it so long as the people on benefits are doing it?

Ignoring the fact that i'm older than 19 by a fair few years now why should I have to undertake forced unpaid labour? If someone wishes to utilise my free time for their own gain under normal normal circumstances I enter into a contract with them and they pay me for it.
Sounds like a ridiculous idea, community service is meant to be a punishment for petty criminals not because you're under 19 and are automatically branded a good-for-nothing chav. Surely Gordon Brown has much more important things to deal with like the credit crunch and possible terror threats from mad muslims blagging student visas rather than worrying about how much litter picking or old peoples arse wiping he wants teenagers to do.
ChocolateFish
Am I the only person who thinks this is a good idea then?!
Living in an area where teenagers have no respect for anyone, I think this would encourage them to get off the streets, get involved in the community and think of someone other than themselves for a change.

Compulsory "voluntary" work isn't going to suddenly give those teenagers the respect they lack. That would come from parents, role models and probablt life experiences and not from being forced to so some work.

Sure they'll be getting involved in the community it's "only" 50 hours and they are not going to suddenly stop thinking of themselves because of this.
It's supposed to provide a work ethic for young people, it's basically what V was set up for - to promote the skills for future employment.

However, this could raise a potential problem as voluntary work is currently needed or desired to get on certain courses like Medicine, Vet sciences, Nursing, Social Work etc and if everyone already has a base amount of voluntary work, would this mean that in the future those interested in such courses would have to do a great deal more to stand out?
Road to serfdom innit?
Reply 26
sarahleslie1
*ahem* Nanny state *cough-splutter*

Nailed it in one...
Reply 27
ChocolateFish

This is what I'm saying - the Government aren't harsh enough on young people. Teenagers are given too much power. Prison? Jail? Just a holiday! There's nothing to give them the incentive to say "Wait, I shouldn't do this, because if I do the consequences will be bad etc." It's time to get tough on them and ensure they do something other than sit around doing nothing other than disrespecting people. (Not everyone does this, I know, but it's a slipperly slope...!)

Why should those not causing any trouble be forced into anything though? Fair enough punish those guilty of crimes but why should the majority have to undertake unpaid labour just because politicians have a reactionary view that all young people are juvenile delinquents?
sleekchic
Compulsory "voluntary" work isn't going to suddenly give those teenagers the respect they lack. That would come from parents, role models and probablt life experiences and not from being forced to so some work.

Sure they'll be getting involved in the community it's "only" 50 hours and they are not going to suddenly stop thinking of themselves because of this.

Depends what they're doing :wink:
If by 'work' Gordon Brown means shops etc, then perhaps not. But if the Government actually gets tough ( :rolleyes: ) sending them to do voluntary work like at army bases, in hospitals, nursing homes etc - I think this would open their eyes, show them that their lives aren't that bad after all.

It needs to be a joint effort. Enforcing voluntary work could start off a new generation with more respect which could be passed to their children etc...people need to stop being so submissive and do something constructive rather than let Britain disintegrate into the mess it's becoming.
Reply 29
so... it's not voluntary anymore? it's just, work?
:P

it's just making it sound as if we're all a bunch of lazy gits, some people DO make an effort when they can, but we do have other things to do! (I've helped out in a care home that my mum used to work in, also popped in for Christmas, really wasn't bad!!)
Reply 30
Perhaps they should change their name to 'Forced Labour'.
ChocolateFish

If not everyone does it then what's the point in making everyone do the voluntary service?

If prison really is a holiday as you put it then that should be reviewed on it's own as well as the leniency of sentences that are handed out and that is something that affects prisoners not just teenagers. So making the do voluntary work will not redress the supposed cushioned life of prisons.
ChocolateFish
Depends what they're doing :wink:
If by 'work' Gordon Brown means shops etc, then perhaps not. But if the Government actually gets tough ( :rolleyes: ) sending them to do voluntary work like at army bases, in hospitals, nursing homes etc - I think this would open their eyes, show them that their lives aren't that bad after all.

Ha,

I can just imagine the Criminal Records checks taking a year or so per person if this is put into place.
Reply 33
Welcome to your police state.
The IBO force IB students to do 150 hours. In-voluntary Voluntary service FTW :biggrin:

I think encouraging more to do the 50 hours would be better than forcing. But you know some people in this country need a kick up the arse, especially if they're a bit younger :tongue:
Reply 35
ChocolateFish
Am I the only person who thinks this is a good idea then?!
Living in an area where teenagers have no respect for anyone, I think this would encourage them to get off the streets, get involved in the community and think of someone other than themselves for a change.

I agree it's a wonderful idea!
I think that's a great idea to be honest. Volunteer work does a good deal to someone's character, makes children more aware of the hardships of others. And 50 hours isn't that much. It's a very good experience, just many children don't bother to do it which is a shame.
These skills you learn from community service are transferrable skills and could be very useful, can be used in their chosen career as well as benefit them when raising their family.
there are so many children who think money is everything these days, and this would be a wake up call to all of them.
clair1987
Ha,

I can just imagine the Criminal Records checks taking a year or so per person if this is put into place.

Exactly, 'useful' voluntary work would be hard to implement because everyone's so worried about H&S. :rolleyes:
Reply 37
fire2burn
Do you actually think it will work? :rolleyes:

They have enough trouble trying to stop teenagers truanting during school hours, let alone in their own free time.

I agree and think it'll make them unpopular in the long-run if not straight away.

Never mind eh..most of us will be too old for it to affect us :smile:
Reply 38
Profesh
Perhaps they should change their name to 'Forced Labour'.

Afraid forced child labour isn't really PC or nice on the ears though since it was outlawed. Probably call it compulsory enlightenment therapy for the restoration of young civic morals and then appoint a blundering think tank to run it all.
ChocolateFish
Not necessarily. I had to do voluntary work when I didn't want to, yet I learnt a lot from it. Plus it gave me direction - you hear a lot about people being given another chance and finding they learn a lot from it.

And even if they don't like it, tough. I think someone's got to stand up to them and not let them get away with the way the youth of today are going...they're given too much power, in my opinion.

I sound really old, I apologise! :p:

But it implies that all young people are wayward thugs. We're not in the middle of some terrible youth epidemic, no matter what people say.

Latest

Trending

Trending