The Student Room Group
Reply 1
spazingdonkey
hi
i am considering applying for chemistry in university in the UK. however, being from asia, i don't know much about the university scene in the UK.

i would like to know your opinions on which universities in the uk are best for chemistry at the undergraduate level.

thanks.
the best- Cambridge

Then the very good Durham, Oxford, Imperial college london, Bristol

Then the still good but not quite as good, Nottingham, leeds, warwick

I'm sure there are sum I missed but thats a quick flavour
Reply 2
i'd say Bath and Manchester and Southampton are all better than Leeds

and Warwick could be put into the higher group, it is often top of the chemistry tables, much higher than Nottingham/Leeds anyway

Birmingham is decent as well

EDIT/ Actually Leeds seems pretty good, so i retract the statements above. The others are still decent Uni.s though :smile:
The Best is Cambridge, but you can't do a chemistry degree there (not that that matters, you should still apply).

Excellent: Bristol, Durham, Nottingham, Imperial, Oxford, Cardiff, Sheffield, St Andrews, Manchester, UCL

Very Good: Birmingham, York, Southampton, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Sussex, Leeds, Warwick amongst others.

This is a pretty subjective list, it's based more on research than teaching.
Reply 4
The new Chemistry building in Oxford is dead swish! :eek:

Not that any undergrads will be allowed anywhere near it though (except maybe 4th year project students) :biggrin:
Reply 5
shiny

Not that any undergrads will be allowed anywhere near it though (except maybe 4th year project students) :biggrin:

Not true! boyf was allowed inside to hand in some tutorial work :wink: :p:
Reply 6
Elles
Not true! boyf was allowed inside to hand in some tutorial work :wink: :p:

it's all air conditioned! blasphemy! :eek: university buildings should be big and ugly! :biggrin:
Reply 7
shiny
it's all air conditioned! blasphemy! :eek: university buildings should be big and ugly! :biggrin:

You mean urs arnt, in durham it was great in labs on friday, all nice and cool :smile: though admittedly we have two floors which i've only been to noce and a seperate building of materials chemistry which I've never seen anyone in
Reply 8
cobra01977
You mean urs arnt, in durham it was great in labs on friday, all nice and cool :smile: though admittedly we have two floors which i've only been to noce and a seperate building of materials chemistry which I've never seen anyone in

Air conditioned throughout? Wow! How can Durham afford that? :eek:

My building uses natural ventilation as any proper uni building should, i.e. opened windows :wink: :p:
Reply 9
shiny
Air conditioned throughout? Wow! How can Durham afford that? :eek:

My building uses natural ventilation as any proper uni building should, i.e. opened windows :wink: :p:

Cos chem is one of the unis top research departments it pumps tons of money into it Its (5* too!)
Reply 10
cobra01977
Cos chem is one of the unis top research departments it pumps tons of money into it Its (5* too!)

Hehe! :biggrin: Close the Oriental Studies department or whatever it was and use it to pay for the Chemistry departments electricity bill :biggrin:

Coola :cool:
Reply 11
shiny
Hehe! :biggrin: Close the Oriental Studies department or whatever it was and use it to pay for the Chemistry departments electricity bill :biggrin:

Coola :cool:

Well actually the money gained is partly being spent in chem
Reply 12
Im at Oxford, and I know that this is going to sound completely biased, but I applied based on simply the criteria of which was better.

Yes, cambridge has the better academic reputation, but really, employers arent aware of this and its not really anything to be bothered with.

When applying to cambridge, you have to read natural sciences, which is a bit poor, basically all biology and physics.

Oxford on the other hand is very well equipped, and does a dedicated science degree, which you will leave with an MChem (hopefully). Its also a nicer city (dont let those filthy tabs tell you otherwise) and has a better atmosphere.

I absolutely LOVE my degree course here, and I havent spoken to a single tab who has said the same, in fact, they all HATE the pressure that they are under, and having to do modules that they really dont care about.

Hope i have managed to persuade you...

PS. its not too hard to get into oxfords CRL, just make sure you have a tutorial in there. The meeting rooms are nice.
Grafter

I absolutely LOVE my degree course here, and I havent spoken to a single tab who has said the same, in fact, they all HATE the pressure that they are under, and having to do modules that they really dont care about.

Horses for course I suppose. I personally would have loved to do nat sci as I am interested in all areas of science (which is actually why I did chemistry out of the three because it is easier to get into other areas of science with).
Reply 14
This might seem reeeeeeaaaaallly obvious but GO AND VISIT THOSE UNIVERSITIES BEFORE YOU APPLY. I was thinking about applying to kent - but i went there and it basically looked like a prison (then i found out that its rubbish at biochem so I'm waving goodbye to kent!).
Reply 15
I applied to:
Sheffield
Southampton
Manchester
Cardiff
Birmingham
Nottingham

I got offers from all and got the grades to get into whichever i wanted. Although Sheffield wasn't ranked highest out of those for chemistry i loved the place so much that i went there. Afterall, you will get a better degree from somewhere u enjoy going to. It is also has the cheapest living costs in the country.
sheffrocks
I applied to:
Sheffield
Southampton
Manchester
Cardiff
Birmingham
Nottingham

I got offers from all and got the grades to get into whichever i wanted. Although Sheffield wasn't ranked highest out of those for chemistry i loved the place so much that i went there. Afterall, you will get a better degree from somewhere u enjoy going to. It is also has the cheapest living costs in the country.

Well they are all excellent departments so you wouldn't have gone wrong anyway.

Latest

Trending

Trending