The Student Room Group

For the Girls - Toning, Diet and Excercise a very basic guide - Please read!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Coy Girl
Thanks, that's an amusing way to consider it! I want to stick as a girl really though

Lol, kinda transcends genders really, obviuously the 'traits' are gener based too e.g a fell with wide hips won't have as wide hips (in proportion) as a baby who got back, and likewise a meso female will not be as broad as a male meso.
Reply 81
Powerlifter
Lol, kinda transcends genders really, obviuously the 'traits' are gener based too e.g a fell with wide hips won't have as wide hips (in proportion) as a baby who got back, and likewise a meso female will not be as broad as a male meso.

Yes, I see what you mean.
Is that you in your avatar btw? I'm just intrigued!
Reply 82
Coy Girl
Yes, I see what you mean.
Is that you in your avatar btw? I'm just intrigued!

Aye
Reply 83
Powerlifter
Aye

I like your tattoos:smile:
Reply 84
lilyfern
A couple of questions, if you don't mind.

1: What does "skip like a boxer" mean?
2: How long should you skip for?

I'm trying to get fitter, I have a pretty good handle on the nutrition side of things, I just need to do more exercise. Unfortunately there's no gym, decent sized swimming pool or anywhere safe to run anywhere near me so I'm left with what I can do in my own home until I move in about 4 months. I have a 10m swimming pool, a skipping rope, a hula hoop (an ordinary one, is that any use?), and an old exercise bike (and my Mum's ab roller) and no money to buy anything else except an exercise DVD but I'd have no idea which one. Any suggestions for how I can make the most of my limited resources until I move?

Thanks!

1: Basically it means quickly, a light shuffle of weight from one foot to the other (although both make contact with the ground). Rather than what I refer to as girly skipping where the rope and as such the frequency of jump is quite slow.

2: I would go for 30 seconds followed by 30 seconds at a slower pace, 30 seconds fast and so on. Prob do 5 2min segments to start with a min rest between them to begin with then build it up to three 5 min segments, and up again until you can skip for 15mins

so:

30 seconds fast - 30 seconds relaxed pace x 2 - rest one min
repeat 4 more times
Reply 85
Coy Girl
I like your tattoos:smile:

Didn't think most girls into fashion liked tattoos? I guess it's personal preferance like everything else however.
Powerlifter

Didn't think most girls into fashion liked tattoos? I guess it's personal preferance like everything else however.

What you on about girls who like fashion don't like tattoos?! haha i like fashion andd tattoos!

Powerlifter
lies - your from the wood really arn't you lol

Do you have huge hoop earings, far to much foundation and a particular penchant to hanging around the wood trying to score a fiver for some fags (I jest of course, thats only the girls 12-15)

ahaha that's so true about the 12yr olds! it's crazy.

I've decided to start a serious fitness routine after my exams have finished, for now i'm just doing some basic house based exercises and stuff loll.
Reply 87
Powerlifter

Tattoos are fascinating:yep:
Reply 88
emmerlie-jay
What you on about girls who like fashion don't like tattoos?! haha i like fashion andd tattoos!
I've decided to start a serious fitness routine after my exams have finished, for now i'm just doing some basic house based exercises and stuff loll.

Fair play on the fitness, keep it up

Coy Girl
Tattoos are fascinating

I guess its just me then, but I am rather large so maybe its that that gets the looks. I do have people try to read my arm all the time which does actually piss me right off!

I guess I just didn’t imagine the pristine look of many fashion gurus liking the more earthy appearance of tattoos, but that said I suppose some have been popularised by the likes of Beckham and Robbie Williams and the like

I love tats myself (obviously lol) but they mean something to me.
Reply 89
Powerlifter

I guess its just me then, but I am rather large so maybe its that that gets the looks. I do have people try to read my arm all the time which does actually piss me right off!

I guess I just didn’t imagine the pristine look of many fashion gurus liking the more earthy appearance of tattoos, but that said I suppose some have been popularised by the likes of Beckham and Robbie Williams and the like

I love tats myself (obviously lol) but they mean something to me.

Hahaha, I'm not really a fan of guys like Beckham and Robbie Williams. Fashion is quite a broad thing at the end of the day:p: I just find them interesting from an art and aesthetic point of view.
Reply 90
Coy Girl
Hahaha, I'm not really a fan of guys like Beckham and Robbie Williams. Fashion is quite a broad thing at the end of the day I just find them interesting from an art and aesthetic point of view.

Yeah I suppose your right, its probably my own standoffishness with what I associate 'fashion' with, which could and sounds like it is totally off the mark.

Some tats I agree, others I have seen are far from artistic (and I hate Bulldog tats etc)
Reply 91
Powerlifter
While both awesome moves, I suspect that the average skinny fat or overweight girl will not be able to perform these movements

By "skinny fat" do you mean someone who is slim but has some pinchable fat?
I have a slender build but I have some stubborn fat on my stomach, I'm already doing HIIT several times a week along with other exericse about 5 times a week but it's not going. Does this mean I should be doing more exercise or just eating fewer calories?
Reply 92
echo.echo
By "skinny fat" do you mean someone who is slim but has some pinchable fat?
I have a slender build but I have some stubborn fat on my stomach, I'm already doing HIIT several times a week along with other exericse about 5 times a week but it's not going. Does this mean I should be doing more exercise or just eating fewer calories?

Pretty much yes.

HIIT several times and other excercise 5 times? how often do you train?
My first impression from that is that your not doing HIIT training correctly, as in not intense enough (I could be wrong)

What are the other excercises?
What is your current diet?
Hi

Just a quick question, I am doing a Tae-BO cardio workout (40 Min's long) 3 times a week, and resistance training 3 times a week, Sunday I rest .

I'm just wondering roughly (I know there are allot of factors) how long it will take for me to see some results. I'm not really bothered about losing weight so long I can gain muscle and reduce my body fat, just "tone up" I guess.

Oh I'm 5.7 and around 133 pounds atm (size 10). I think "skinny fat" about sums me up. I'm not entirely sure if I should expect to lose weight if I'm gaining muscle?

Thanks
Reply 94
Powerlifter
Pretty much yes.

HIIT several times and other excercise 5 times? how often do you train?
My first impression from that is that your not doing HIIT training correctly, as in not intense enough (I could be wrong)

What are the other excercises?
What is your current diet?

I do HIIT about 3 times a week on a treadmill, with 1 1/2 mins moderate pace followed by 30 second sprints, which is what the gym instructor told me, should I be doing 30 seconds moderate 30 seconds sprint then? I usually do it for about 18-20 mins with a five min cool down & have usually gone about 5 kilometres by the time I finish.
Other exercise includes swimming for 1 hour per week as well as kickboxing once a week & cycling every day for about 7 miles, with one 12 mile cycle ride per week. Circuit training once a week & a full bodyworkout every other Wednesday. I'll also usually go for a 20 min jog about twice a week.

My current diet is usually bran flakes with semi-skimmed milk for breakfast followed by a banana/apple a couple of hours later, and possibly some more cereal.
Lunch is usually soup with wholemeal bread. A chocolate bar too.
Afternoon snack is usually piece of toast.
Evening meal is usally fish/chicken with vegetables like brocoli & peppers.
When I come back from the gym I usually have another bowl of cereal.

That's all !
Reply 95
inebriatedgoldfish
Hi

Just a quick question, I am doing a Tae-BO cardio workout (40 Min's long) 3 times a week, and resistance training 3 times a week, Sunday I rest .

I'm just wondering roughly (I know there are allot of factors) how long it will take for me to see some results. I'm not really bothered about losing weight so long I can gain muscle and reduce my body fat, just "tone up" I guess.

Oh I'm 5.7 and around 133 pounds atm (size 10). I think "skinny fat" about sums me up. I'm not entirely sure if I should expect to lose weight if I'm gaining muscle?

Thanks

its to much of a variable to answer to be honest, you may see a reduction in weight initially due to water loss and probably dropping fat quicker than gaining muscle but it will balance itself out.
Reply 96
echo.echo
I do HIIT about 3 times a week on a treadmill, with 1 1/2 mins moderate pace followed by 30 second sprints, which is what the gym instructor told me, should I be doing 30 seconds moderate 30 seconds sprint then? I usually do it for about 18-20 mins with a five min cool down & have usually gone about 5 kilometres by the time I finish.
Other exercise includes swimming for 1 hour per week as well as kickboxing once a week & cycling every day for about 7 miles, with one 12 mile cycle ride per week. Circuit training once a week & a full bodyworkout every other Wednesday. I'll also usually go for a 20 min jog about twice a week.

My current diet is usually bran flakes with semi-skimmed milk for breakfast followed by a banana/apple a couple of hours later, and possibly some more cereal.
Lunch is usually soup with wholemeal bread. A chocolate bar too.
Afternoon snack is usually piece of toast.
Evening meal is usally fish/chicken with vegetables like brocoli & peppers.
When I come back from the gym I usually have another bowl of cereal.

That's all !

I would decrease the moderate running length to 30 seconds and work from there with sprints.

other stuff: thats alot wow fair play to you lol

Diet questions:

How much bran flakes and how much milk
What soup are you eating and with how much bread?
Do you butter/add spread to your toast?
How is the fish and chicken cooked?
Does the fish/chicken have any sauce/coating like breadcrumbs etc?
Do you sweeten your cereal?
Reply 97
I don't know how any of you can do HIIT on a treadmill, surely that's unsafe? I mean if you're going to push out and run at pretty much the max that you can.

I would personally have to find a field or a quiet road.
Reply 98
Arteta
I don't know how any of you can do HIIT on a treadmill, surely that's unsafe? I mean if you're going to push out and run at pretty much the max that you can.

I would personally have to find a field or a quiet road.

What?

I flat piece of equipment designed for running on, or a field potentially full of divets, holes, uneven ground, or a road, full of obstacles, pedestrians, cars..

I know where I'd rather be sprinting tbh!
Reply 99
Powerlifter
I would decrease the moderate running length to 30 seconds and work from there with sprints.

other stuff: thats alot wow fair play to you lol

Diet questions:

How much bran flakes and how much milk
What soup are you eating and with how much bread?
Do you butter/add spread to your toast?
How is the fish and chicken cooked?
Does the fish/chicken have any sauce/coating like breadcrumbs etc?
Do you sweeten your cereal?

Thanks I'll try that out tonight! Does that mean I wouldn't be able to keep it up for as long at first as it sounds more intense? Also, should I be increasing the incline of the treadmill on the sprints? I do currently.

Bran flakes...erm I probably eat quite a lot of them....I just measured an averaged sized bowl for me & it's 40 grams. The milk isn't enough to "drown" them, not sure how much is would be to be honest. I don't sweeten my cereal with sugar but I do add sultanas or raisins.
On my toast I either go for just Flora or marmite or honey. Sometimes peanut butter if I'm feeling indulgent, but that would only be about once a week.
The chicken is usually stir-fry or in something like a curry/enchiladas/fajitas, so I'm guessing that's where a lot of my calories are coming from?
The fish never has any breadcrumb coating & is usually smoked salmon or mackerel.

Thanks for all your help so far ! Really appreciate it!

Quick Reply

Latest