The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Howard
So did I until you changed the conversation and began talking about Iraq.

What is it you'd like to discuss exactly?

You really can't see the connection between Iraq and Muslims blowing up busses?
Reply 41
Howard
I don't think he argued anything of the sort. And he certainly made no statement to the effect that all muslims were terrorists.

You need to spend more time on your reading comprehension.

But anyway, let's get back to discussing Gurkhas - far more interesting than another boring muslim thread.

And you need to on yours:

teashoci
Yes, and thankfully buddhists along with sikhs, hindus and jews wont blow us up on a bus, or enforce their laws and alien values on us. Unlke some other ethnic minorty that needs deporting.
Reply 42
Jay Riall

I thought all these Muslims were supposed to be British. And yet you state that they are reacting to attacks in "their country". Tell me - where the three London bombers from Iraq? Of course not. They were Brits whose minds had been poisoned in some mosque or other.

Same with the 9/11 attacks. Forgive me if I have my chronology wrong but I thought that their attacks came long before Iraq or Afghanistan was invaded. Theirs was a religiously inspired attack.
Reply 43
Jay Riall
I thought we were talking about Muslims coming here and blowing up busses? You don't think that has anything to do with the invasion of Iraq/Afghanistan/stationing troops in Saudi Arabia/ britain/america siding with the Israelis who continue to barbarously kill thousands of innocent Palestinians in their OWN homeland?[/QUOTE]
Jay Riall
In this sense religion and nationalism really aren't all that different. It's all just a crude form of collectivism.

True or false: the invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan greatly increased Middle Eastern hatred towards the West?

Lol it is all 'collectivism'? As far as I'm aware niether the Muslims nor the IRA are collectivists.

Lol enjoy your self serving abstraction and consequent self delusion.
Jay Riall

So, they are blowing up buses for the 3% of non-Muslims who live in Iraq, aswell?

It's all down to religion.
Reply 46
Jay Riall
So your cutting out all the 'for Queen and Country' "bullcrap" for white British people too I assume?

Of course, soldiery is just a job - they aren't terrorising the middle east out of patriotism. The Ghurkas are just mercenaries, so why the sentimentality?
Howard
I thought all these Muslims were supposed to be British. And yet you state that they are reacting to attacks in "their country". Tell me - where the three London bombers from Iraq? Of course not. They were Brits whose minds had been poisoned in some mosque or other.

Same with the 9/11 attacks. Forgive me if I have my chronology wrong but I thought that their attacks came long before Iraq or Afghanistan was invaded. Theirs was a religiously inspired attack.

From Ron Paul's "The Revolution"

When it comes to suicide bombing, I like many others, always assumed that the driving force behind the practice was Islamic fundamentalism. Promise of instant entry into paradise as a reward for killing infidels was said to explain the suicides. The world's expert on suicide terrorism convinced me to rethink this apparently plausible answer. The University of Chicago's Robert Pape, for his book Dying to Win: The Strategic Logic of Suicide Terrorism, collected a database of all 462 suicide terrorist attacks between 1980 and 2004. One thing he found was that religious beliefs were less important as motivating factors than we have believed. The world leaders in suicide terrorism are actually the Tamil Tigers in Sri Lanka, a Marxist secular group. The largest Islamic fundamentalist countries have not been responsible for any suicide terrorist attacks. Not one has come from Iran or the Sudan.

The clincher is this: the strongest motivation, according to Pape, is not religion but rather a desire "to compel modern democracies to withdraw military forces from the territory the terrorist view as their homeland." Between 1995 and 2004, the al Qaeda years, two-thirds of all attacks came from countries when the United States had troops stationed. While al Qaeda terrorists are twice as likely to hail from a country with a strong Wahhabist (radical Islamic) presence, they are ten times as likely to come from a country in which U.S. troops are stationed. Until the U.S. invasion in 2003, Iraq had never had a suicide terrorist attack in its entire history.
Reply 48
Jay Riall
From Ron Paul's "The Revolution"

I don't care what Ron Paul thinks. The man is a discredited fool and I'm certainly not interested in his views on this issue any more than I care what he thinks about anything else.

Do you deny that the 9/11 attack was religiously motivated?
Howard
I don't care what Ron Paul thinks. The man is a discredited fool and I'm certainly not interested in his views on this issue any more than I care what he thinks about anything else.

Discredited by who?

Even so, it isn't his views, it is the views of a world leader in the research of terrorism.
Jay Riall
Discredited by who?

Even so, it isn't his views, it is the views of a world leader in the research of terrorism.

You didn't answer his question:

Howard
Reply 51
teashoci
I am disgusted how we treat these men, they have fought and died for our country yet we have preiously refused them settlment.

We refuse them passports and gives citizenship to muslims who would never fght and die for this country. How many muslims are there in the british army?. instead of giving citizenship to people who have ded for our beliefs and freedoms we gve it to scum of the earth asylum seekers and muslms who have destroyed our culture and blown our people up on buses. we need to get our priorties right.

how many muslims have done that?if a french guy stabbed a nigerian fella in nigeria, no1 would say that we have to get rid of all of these french guys cos theyre stabbing us.....

how was it destroyed exactly?
Xenia Onatopp
You didn't answer his question:

Oh, sorry.

Of course not, but I believe, like Pape says, that US occupation of Middle Eastern countries was a more important motivating factor. I have a hard time believing 9/11 would have occurred if it were not for that.
so back to the Gurkha's... i cant believe its taken this long for them to get noticed!
Reply 54
suicidal_dream
so back to the Gurkha's... i cant believe its taken this long for them to get noticed!

It hasn't. It's taken this long for the public at large to notice.
Blátönn
Of course, soldiery is just a job - they aren't terrorising the middle east out of patriotism. The Ghurkas are just mercenaries, so why the sentimentality?

How dare you, They are not mercenaries. Not legally and not in any sense. The Ghurka brigade has proven itslef loyal and dedicated, they dont sell their services to the higest bidder.
Drewski
It hasn't. It's taken this long for the public at large to notice.

Sadly, this.

FiveFiveSix is back, and a bottle of whiskey poorer. Bring it on.
Reply 57
Darkness and Mist
How dare you, They are not mercenaries. Not legally and not in any sense. The Ghurka brigade has proven itslef loyal and dedicated, they dont sell their services to the higest bidder.

Umm, yeah they are, by definition, mercenaries. They aren't nationals of the country they are fighting for, and fit the legal definition except by the mere technicality that they are officially sanctioned by the government and don't get paid more than a regular soldier. See article 47 of the 'Protocol Additional to the Geneva Conventions of 12 August 1949', they fit the description almost entirely.
Reply 58
FiveFiveSix
Sadly, this.

FiveFiveSix is back, and a bottle of whiskey poorer. Bring it on.

Bottle of whisky my arse. go away and take your airsoft picture wth you.
Reply 59
Who would you rather have in our country -

Latest

Trending

Trending