The Student Room Group

Standing Waves

A string is stretched between two fixed points. When the string is plucked, the string vibrates and a standing wave is produced.

The amplitude of the standing wave decreases as the energy stored in the vibrating string is dissipated. Where would this stored energy go?

I've carried out the experiment and I'm not sure if its simple or not but all I see is kinetic energy and some sound?

Is this right or have I got the wrong idea?
Reply 1
LoveChild92
A string is stretched between two fixed points. When the string is plucked, the string vibrates and a standing wave is produced.

The amplitude of the standing wave decreases as the energy stored in the vibrating string is dissipated. Where would this stored energy go?

I've carried out the experiment and I'm not sure if its simple or not but all I see is kinetic energy and some sound?

Is this right or have I got the wrong idea?

Basically air resistance is the main dissipative force. It's only a small effect but as the string oscillates very very quickly it "passes" a lot of air, and so will lose energy in this way.

source:
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=rYfqoc1dDmYC&pg=PA114&lpg=PA114&dq=energy+dissipated+by+a+standing+wave+on+a+string&source=bl&ots=N3YOuM_7SP&sig=ulet9Axs27XVZnWeQJn6N9HwTMQ&hl=en&ei=g4_9SZyeOoHMjAeg_rCZAw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1
Reply 2
yeah. in a vacuum it would go forever.
you have air to screw things up.
also potentially a fair bit of friction at the end points, depending on how you are fixing them.
Reply 3
yeah. in a vacuum it would go forever.
you have air to screw things up.
also potentially a fair bit of friction at the end points, depending on how you are fixing them.

Latest