The Student Room Group
Reply 1
mather
Please Help with this.

Solve: cosx = sinx + 0.1 using the substitution obtained from letting tan1/2x = t, 0<x<360.

Thankyou for help. Will give rep.

your rep wont count
Reply 2
If tan(x/2) = t, then you should be able to work out sin(x/2) and cos(x/2) in terms of t, and thus work out sin(x) and cos(x) in terms of t, then solve your equation for t and then get your x values.
Reply 3
theone
If tan(x/2) = t, then you should be able to work out sin(x/2) and cos(x/2) in terms of t, and thus work out sin(x) and cos(x) in terms of t, then solve your equation for t and then get your x values.

thanks, but i still don't quite understand. Wot's sinx/2 in terms of t? I think I can do it if I know.
Reply 4
tan(x/2)==t => sinx = 2t/(1+t); cosx = (1-t)/(1+t)

=> 1-t = 2t + 0.1(1+t)

3.1 t = 0.9

t = 0.29

x/2 = arctan 0.29 = 16.17, 106.17

x = 32.34, 212.34
Reply 5
elpaw

=> 1-t = 2t + 0.1(1+t)

3.1 t = 0.9

t = 0.29

x/2 = arctan 0.29 = 16.17, 106.17

x = 32.34, 212.34

Thank you very very much.
Reply 6
elpaw

Just to briefly expand this (and correct it i think):

If t = tan(x/2) it follows that if we draw a right angled triangle with x/2 as one angle, and we call the opposite 't' and the adajcent '1' then the hypotenuse = root(1+t^2).

So sin(x/2) = t/(root(1+t^2)) and cos(x/2) = 1/(root(1+t^2)) as such sin(x) = 2sin(x/2)cos(x/2) = 2t/(1+t^2) and cos(x) = cos^2(x/2) - sin^2(x/2) = (1-t^2)/(1+t^2).
Reply 7
theone
Just to briefly expand this (and correct it i think):

If t = tan(x/2) it follows that if we draw a right angled triangle with x/2 as one angle, and we call the opposite 't' and the adajcent '1' then the hypotenuse = root(1+t^2).

So sin(x/2) = t/(root(1+t^2)) and cos(x/2) = 1/(root(1+t^2)) as such sin(x) = 2sin(x/2)cos(x/2) = 2t/(1+t^2) and cos(x) = cos^2(x/2) - sin^2(x/2) = (1-t)/(1+t^2).

yeah, i thought there was a square there
Reply 8
Shame it doesn;t put up your tag lines.

Have you read the Bible Code2 It too predicted the Twin Towers.
Reply 9
Phil_C
Shame it doesn;t put up your tag lines.

Have you read the Bible Code2 It too predicted the Twin Towers.

yes i have read it it is a bit interesting. shame it onlhy predicts stuff after it has happened.
Reply 10
Please tell me this isnt edexcel P2 ... :s
Reply 11
elpaw
yes i have read it it is a bit interesting. shame it onlhy predicts stuff after it has happened.

i don't remeber saying that! i must have been well drunk last night.
Reply 12
It has predicted the some facts that are still to happen, Global war in 2006 centered on Israel and Palastinians. Both leaders are taking the book quite seriously. Rabin (sp?) assasination was also predicted and discussed with him indvance if it's occurance.

Did you catch the Bible Code programme on TV last night?
Reply 13
Phil_C
It has predicted the some facts that are still to happen, Global war in 2006 centered on Israel and Palastinians. Both leaders are taking the book quite seriously. Rabin (sp?) assasination was also predicted and discussed with him indvance if it's occurance.

Did you catch the Bible Code programme on TV last night?

Nah I missed it and I really wanted to see it. Tell me the gist of it. I caught the end of it when they said that the blokes original estimate of 1/62500 chance was actually 1/3 or sumthing like that...

Latest

Trending

Trending