The Student Room Group

Msc Economics Admissions Guide (including a Warwick specific post)

Scroll to see replies

Just saw a message from someone studying at Nottingham this September. I'll be there too, studying MSc in Behavioural Economics.

I'm very excited!
Original post by kalaperson
Thanks for that! I'm currently at Liverpool Uni. Would that reduce my chances in the competition if I applied for a reputable uni?

I would also appreciate opinions on this.
Original post by deathadder
I would also appreciate opinions on this.

In case of Economics the strength of an undergraduate programme does matter a lot. I can not comment on Liverpool specifically, but I can guarantee you that if your uni does not have a good reputation in the field, you will be seriously disadvantaged if you apply to top schools - Oxbridge, LSE, UCL. Even if you have a first, you are likely to be rejected.
Original post by janjanmmm
In case of Economics the strength of an undergraduate programme does matter a lot. I can not comment on Liverpool specifically, but I can guarantee you that if your uni does not have a good reputation in the field, you will be seriously disadvantaged if you apply to top schools - Oxbridge, LSE, UCL. Even if you have a first, you are likely to be rejected.

I would be doing an Msc at Liverpool, not an undergrad degree. As Liverpool is a Redbrick and Russell Group Uni and similar in the rankings to Manchester I thought it would be regarded as a good Uni. From the opinions I have searched for on this forum it would seem I was wrong to apply to Liverpool.
I would be doing an Msc at Liverpool, not an undergrad degree. As Liverpool is a Redbrick and Russell Group Uni and similar in the rankings to Manchester I thought it would be regarded as a good Uni. From the opinions I have searched for on this forum it would seem I was wrong to apply to Liverpool.

There is a difference between "a good uni" and a uni with strong economics department. Some very decent universities have a mediocre economics department, and vice versa. Again, not to say anything bad about Liverpool, but I have not seen it in the econ rankings at all.

Overall reputation of the uni does not necessarily imply that every single programme is as strong as the other one.
Reply 525

It is all dependent on why you are doing your MSc. Is it to do further postgraduate study, such as a PhD? Or is it to improve your career opportunities?

Liverpool is a good university generally, has a strong business school, and is an up and coming area to live.

Out of curiosity, which MSc programme are you taking at Liverpool? Is it the MSc Economics and Finance programme?
Original post by .ACS.
It is all dependent on why you are doing your MSc. Is it to do further postgraduate study, such as a PhD? Or is it to improve your career opportunities?

Liverpool is a good university generally, has a strong business school, and is an up and coming area to live.

Out of curiosity, which MSc programme are you taking at Liverpool? Is it the MSc Economics and Finance programme?

Its to improve my career opportunities, as the undergrad degree I did was at Liverpool John Moores which is a really low ranked uni.

Its the Msc Finance course.

I also have the option to do Msc Economics or Msc Financial Economics at the University of Manchester, however this would require me to do their PGDip Economics course before progressing to the Msc. Would this be a better option than the Msc Finance at Liverpool? Appreciate the help!
Reply 527
Its to improve my career opportunities, as the undergrad degree I did was at Liverpool John Moores which is a really low ranked uni.

Its the Msc Finance course.

I also have the option to do Msc Economics or Msc Financial Economics at the University of Manchester, however this would require me to do their PGDip Economics course before progressing to the Msc. Would this be a better option than the Msc Finance at Liverpool? Appreciate the help!

The thing is, it depends entirely on the career you want. What exactly do you want to go into? Investment banking? Retail banking? Risk management? Actuarial? Accountancy?

I'd have said the MSc Economics and Finance at Liverpool seemed like a good programme due to its heavy focus on econometric theory and statistical analysis.

That said, the MSc Finance is more relevant to doing finance related roles which are less quantitative/technical.

In all honesty, would the PgDip Economics and MSc Economics // MSc Financial Economics at Manchester provide you with a better long-term career, than say the MSc Finance at Liverpool? Well, first, the courses are different - the Financial Economics course is more akin to the Economics and Finance programme offered by Liverpool. Further, I would struggle in all honesty to say going to Manchester would improve your career chances significantly compared to Liverpool.
Original post by .ACS.
The thing is, it depends entirely on the career you want. What exactly do you want to go into? Investment banking? Retail banking? Risk management? Actuarial? Accountancy?

I'd have said the MSc Economics and Finance at Liverpool seemed like a good programme due to its heavy focus on econometric theory and statistical analysis.

That said, the MSc Finance is more relevant to doing finance related roles which are less quantitative/technical.

In all honesty, would the PgDip Economics and MSc Economics // MSc Financial Economics at Manchester provide you with a better long-term career, than say the MSc Finance at Liverpool? Well, first, the courses are different - the Financial Economics course is more akin to the Economics and Finance programme offered by Liverpool. Further, I would struggle in all honesty to say going to Manchester would improve your career chances significantly compared to Liverpool.

Investment banking and risk management are much more attractive to me than the other avenues you mentioned, although I am not 100% sure what I want to do in the future.

I would say I am much more interested in the Msc Finance course syllabus, however I have read/been told that the reputation of the University I do my Masters at is more important than the course I take, which is why I am struggling to choose between the two options.
Reply 529
Investment banking and risk management are much more attractive to me than the other avenues you mentioned, although I am not 100% sure what I want to do in the future.

I would say I am much more interested in the Msc Finance course syllabus, however I have read/been told that the reputation of the University I do my Masters at is more important than the course I take, which is why I am struggling to choose between the two options.

What were your A-Levels?

While Manchester will be marginally better for IB compared to Liverpool, it's still going to be unlikely. Further, if you don't meet the necessary A-Level requirements, you will be auto-filtered out, Masters or no Masters.

That is why I say it may not be worth the extra money and hassle to do the PgDip and then the Masters at Manchester.

You may find yourself in a position where you can only apply for management accountancy or internal treasury positions, which Liverpool would have adequately suited you for.
Original post by .ACS.
What were your A-Levels?

While Manchester will be marginally better for IB compared to Liverpool, it's still going to be unlikely. Further, if you don't meet the necessary A-Level requirements, you will be auto-filtered out, Masters or no Masters.

That is why I say it may not be worth the extra money and hassle to do the PgDip and then the Masters at Manchester.

You may find yourself in a position where you can only apply for management accountancy or internal treasury positions, which Liverpool would have adequately suited you for.

BBB (300 UCAS points). I have already interned at a Wealth Management firm so I could also get into the AM/WM side of things couldn't I?
Reply 531
BBB (300 UCAS points). I have already interned at a Wealth Management firm so I could also get into the AM/WM side of things couldn't I?

I assume the wealth management firm you interned at didn't have a structured scheme? I think your A-Levels may hold you back from some firms, but not all. So it's not the end of the world.

If you can find smaller firms without any sort of structured scheme, maybe like the firm where you previously interned, that would be okay.

So I guess if you're looking at it from that angle, than going to Manchester and doing the PgDip and the MSc Financial Economics is probably a better way forward.
Original post by .ACS.
I assume the wealth management firm you interned at didn't have a structured scheme? I think your A-Levels may hold you back from some firms, but not all. So it's not the end of the world.

If you can find smaller firms without any sort of structured scheme, maybe like the firm where you previously interned, that would be okay.

So I guess if you're looking at it from that angle, than going to Manchester and doing the PgDip and the MSc Financial Economics is probably a better way forward.

I would have thought that smaller employers would care less than large employers about the reputation of my Uni and degree?
Reply 533
I would have thought that smaller employers would care less than large employers about the reputation of my Uni and degree?

True. It's a tough call, really. Your A-Level results are better than I suspected (for you having done your undergrad at LJMU).

How much is financing an issue? Can you realistically afford the PgDip and the MSc at Manchester compared to solely the MSc at Liverpool?

How did your previous work experience at that asset management firm react to you having attended LJMU? Could they not offer you some sort of graduate position?
Original post by .ACS.
True. It's a tough call, really. Your A-Level results are better than I suspected (for you having done your undergrad at LJMU).

How much is financing an issue? Can you realistically afford the PgDip and the MSc at Manchester compared to solely the MSc at Liverpool?

How did your previous work experience at that asset management firm react to you having attended LJMU? Could they not offer you some sort of graduate position?

The firm don't have a graduate scheme/positions, I was working with IFA's. They have told me they can help me with my progression down that path should I choose to do it. Financing for Manchester and Liverpool is not an issue.
I went to LJMU as due to family reasons I couldn't really leave home. I actually just got accepted to the Msc Investment Management course at CASS, but I am not sure I can afford to pay the fee's and make arrangements to move to London on such short notice, perhaps working for a year and then doing that next year would be an even better option?
Reply 535
Hi there. I'm about to start 2nd year in BSc Economics at Swansea University (ranked 40-50 in UK overall and econs table). How are my chances of getting into Oxbridge/LSE/UCL/Warwick if I graduate with 1st class + good references + good personal statement + internship at major bank? I've read that the ranking of university doesn't matter when it comes to postgrad, but I've also read that the economics strength of the university counts.
Original post by Lswk
Hi there. I'm about to start 2nd year in BSc Economics at Swansea University (ranked 40-50 in UK overall and econs table). How are my chances of getting into Oxbridge/LSE/UCL/Warwick if I graduate with 1st class + good references + good personal statement + internship at major bank? I've read that the ranking of university doesn't matter when it comes to postgrad, but I've also read that the economics strength of the university counts.

Exactly. Ranking does not matter, but strength counts. The amount and quality of math preparation is the most important part.
Reply 537
Hi, I am a 2nd year student who are studying Bsc Economics.
I am taking Econometrics, Mathematical Economics and 4 Micro/Macro modules in this year. (total 6)
But I 've selected corporate finance (only 1 module) for this year, does it negatively affect my chance for a msc economics offer?
I am more confident in finance module because I did well in the finance module during my 1st year.
I have other options like development studies which is definitely my weakness. I don't want to get low grades on these modules.
My idea is that getting a first in a finance module looks better than a 2.1/2.2 in development studies.

Thank you for the advices
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by insulator
Hi, I am a 2nd year student who are studying Bsc Economics.
I am taking Econometrics, Mathematical Economics and 4 Micro/Macro modules in this year. (total 6)
But I 've selected corporate finance (only 1 module) for this year, does it negatively affect my chance for a msc economics offer?
I am more confident in finance module because I did well in the finance module during my 1st year.
I have other options like development studies which is definitely my weakness. I don't want to get low grades on these modules.
My idea is that getting a first in a finance module looks better than a 2.1/2.2 in development studies.

Thank you for the advices

Offer from where?
Some schools accept anything that moves. For some others even an impeccable record might not be enough.
Reply 539
Original post by janjanmmm
Offer from where?
Some schools accept anything that moves. For some others even an impeccable record might not be enough.

Also depends if he wants to do "pure" economics or a financial economics/finance and economics masters, or an economics masters which allows you to take finance electives; in any of these it could be useful. There is a lot of overlap between corporate finance and certain areas of economics, especially once you get to postgrad level.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending