The Student Room Group

How to remember key studies for psychology? Revision methods?

I'm a little bit overwhelmed by the amount of studies (about 15!) I need to remember for my AS exams next friday. I'm just using the APFCC format. That's the Aim, Procedure, Findings, Conclusions and Crticisms for each study.

I understand the studies but there's just so many dates, names and figures to remember.

How do you go about remembering them well? Any personal tips that have worked for you?

Thanks =]

Scroll to see replies

Ah, the good old days of APFCC! I remember them well.
I used to make spider diagrams - general area of psychology in the middle (e.g. social), then sprouting off from that I'll have obedience, minority influence, majority influence etc (whatever it is you're doing). From each of them, I'd sprout off the certain studies, one colour for a 'supporting' study to the theory, and a different colour for studies 'against' the theory. Then for each study, just do quick APFCCs - trigger words/very simple descriptions etc.

I hope that helps!
lol only 15? Just wait until PYA4.

That is presuming you're on AQA A and the new syllabus isn't dumbed down too much.
Reply 3
GodspeedGehenna

That is presuming you're on AQA A and the new syllabus isn't dumbed down too much.

It's the old AQA A spec. I'm doing AS and A2 in one sweep!
Reply 4
GodspeedGehenna

just what I was thinking, I'm doing a resit of unit 1 next Friday and I looked at it and thought 'wow, that was all I had to remember?!', there's so much more for Unit 4 :frown:

In response to the question, I ignored dates apart from the easy ones like Bowlby's 44 thieves was in 1944, names and findings etc. I just remembered by going over and over them.
Remember when you were learning spelling in primary school and did the whole read, copy, cover, check or something like that? this is what I did and it worked for me but I think you've got to have the right type of brain to be able to do that for so much detail
Reply 5
I am giving AS Psychology with CIE and I've got 20 case studies to remember!

This is pure torture I tell you!
Reply 6
aura1947
I am giving AS Psychology with CIE and I've got 20 case studies to remember!

This is pure torture I tell you!

I currently have 51 studies to remember for Unit 4 AQA, that's torture :wink:
You guys have to remember studies? Don't you have to be able to talk about theories as well? :redface: I do AQA B (old spec) and we have to talk about the theories, using relevant studies to back it up but a lot of the time it's more about knowledge of the theory and application of it...
Reply 8
inksplodge
You guys have to remember studies? Don't you have to be able to talk about theories as well? :redface: I do AQA B (old spec) and we have to talk about the theories, using relevant studies to back it up but a lot of the time it's more about knowledge of the theory and application of it...

Long story short, we are all f*cked!

I mean, I've got my Psychology exam on 15th and I've hardly done 10 studies out of 20! And I am not even sure I'll be able to retain whatever I have memorized so far! And to make it even worse...I've done 0 past papers! I honestly feel like crying! :frown:

I had thought Psychology would be a sure shot A...but at the moment, it is the only subject I am struggling with!
aura1947
Long story short, we are all f*cked!

I mean, I've got my Psychology exam on 15th and I've hardly done 10 studies out of 20! And I am not even sure I'll be able to retain whatever I have memorized so far! And to make it even worse...I've done 0 past papers! I honestly feel like crying! :frown:

I had thought Psychology would be a sure shot A...but at the moment, it is the only subject I am struggling with!

Yeah, psychology is my most difficult subject this year. It's a lot harder than people perceive it to be. I would recommend learning your basics. I find it easy to do when I know my theories, it's just a case of chucking the study in with it...
Reply 10
I'm doing PYA1 next Wed. Started revision properly today, LOL. Gonna try and finish memory today.
Reply 11
Earl Grey
I'm a little bit overwhelmed by the amount of studies (about 15!) I need to remember for my AS exams next friday. I'm just using the APFCC format. That's the Aim, Procedure, Findings, Conclusions and Crticisms for each study.

I understand the studies but there's just so many dates, names and figures to remember.

How do you go about remembering them well? Any personal tips that have worked for you?

Thanks =]

This summer i'm doing, PYA2, PYA4 AND PYA5.. i know the feeling of too many studies..
dorkskank
This summer i'm doing, PYA2, PYA4 AND PYA5.. i know the feeling of too many studies..

same, well, PYA1,4 and 5 but yeah
Reply 13
aaaaarghhh the ocr new spec is even worse......
Reply 14
gosh i hate this too have too many and cant remember them at all
i guess all you can do is try to find links between a few and then separate points for individual ones
Reply 15
i never learnt the dates for the studies, and that is totally fine,
unless its like the conformity studies,
such as Asch, and you should mention the year he did it in, and then as your critisicm / weakness of the study you can mention how at that time, conformity was a big thing due to the Mcarthy Era...etccc.....
hope that helps and can take the stress off learning all the dates :smile::smile:
im doing OCR psychology and i have the core studies paper on friday and the studies are going in one ear and out the other i cant find a way of remembering the information such as the sample used
I'm only a GCSE student but I'm get A's every time, what I do is I make a spider diagram of the studies and write key notes, not the whole thing but key thing for me to remember so when I'm writing it and I remember it all, just stick them up on a wall of your room you look at every day and read over it aloud or in your head. Hope this helps!:smile:xx
I'm only a GCSE student but I'm get A's every time, what I do is I make a spider diagram of the studies and write key notes, not the whole thing but key thing for me to remember so when I'm writing it and I remember it all, just stick them up on a wall of your room you look at every day and read over it aloud or in your head. Hope this helps!:smile:xx:p:p
I did AS Psychology in 2012 and A2 in 2013 (AQA). I'm not sure if working memory model is still on the syllabus but if so this song is unbelievably catchy and should help you remember details of it. Even if you're not doing working memory model, try to find songs about the topics you are doing and if you can't find any you could make some up :smile:

[video="youtube;4gg6Xd1teZ0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gg6Xd1teZ0[/video]

Quick Reply

Latest