The Student Room Group

D1 Matchings - Why is this wrong?

The question and the answer from the mark scheme is below:

Why is my solution wrong? I don't really understand why it's not an acceptable answer.. Here is what I worked out:

D - 3 = C - 5
cs
D = 3 - C = 5 (This bit is right)

E - 4 = B - 1 (This is wrong, I don't know why?)
cs
E = 4 - B = 1 (This is also wrong)

Can someone tell me why my answer is not acceptable? I've probably made a stupid mistake or I'm missing a rule in matchings or something.

Many thanks.
Reply 1
Anyone have an idea?
FretFul

Why is my solution wrong? I don't really understand why it's not an acceptable answer.. Here is what I worked out:

D - 3 = C - 5
cs

cs

Can someone tell me why my answer is not acceptable? I've probably made a stupid mistake or I'm missing a rule in matchings or something.

Many thanks.

i think your answer is valid, i was just going through that myself and i completely agree with your method.

so you end off with:

a:2
b:1
c:5
d:3
e:4
???

the answers given are an example of one way of solving the problem, hence, the "e.g" methinks.
Reply 3
Okay mate thanks for that. I thought I was misunderstanding something.

Thanks again.
Reply 4
FretFul

D - 3 = C - 5
cs

cs

Many thanks.

THERE IS TWO ALTERNATING PATHS!
Youve done 1 then you need to do another alternating path using this new bipartite graph(new alternating path).
Reply 5
Don.k
THERE IS TWO ALTERNATING PATHS!
Youve done 1 then you need to do another alternating path using this new bipartite graph(new alternating path).

Why? In the mark scheme they haven't done that. They've just chosen a different second path to me, for some reason.

Latest