The Student Room Group

Job offers and declining

I have recently applied for a job directly (no recruiter) where it was has been 2 months since my initial round interview with the company. Company have been good but discussions about potential pay package should I get the role have been very slow. They have finally got back to me and said they want to take me to final interview. I feel I have a good chance of getting the role but my worry is I am not entirely sure if the role is suitable for me and I will only find that out at final stage. If they make an offer and I decide not to take the role, will this be an issue?

Considering the process has gone for so long I just want to make sure I am not in the wrong for potentially declining?
Reply 1
Any advice?
Original post by sultangopi
I have recently applied for a job directly (no recruiter) where it was has been 2 months since my initial round interview with the company. Company have been good but discussions about potential pay package should I get the role have been very slow. They have finally got back to me and said they want to take me to final interview. I feel I have a good chance of getting the role but my worry is I am not entirely sure if the role is suitable for me and I will only find that out at final stage. If they make an offer and I decide not to take the role, will this be an issue?

Considering the process has gone for so long I just want to make sure I am not in the wrong for potentially declining?

Why does the length of time matter? Are you in a position to turn down a job - are you currently working?
Hello,
It is a good thing that you know your worth thereby knowing what is good for you and what is not. When you get to the final stage of the interview and you are able to ascertain what the job role is like and the pay, if you are not satisfied with it, you can have a conversation with the employer and see if your offer will be considered.

I am sure every person at the final interview stage is given the opportunity to put his/her offer (payment and role) on the table which will be deliberated on.
If at the end of the conversation nothing positive comes to your side, then you have every right to decline. There is nothing wrong in doing that. You do not have to settle for less. You know your worth and should go for what matches your value.

However, if it is a considerable offer, you can go for it and watch as the day goes. If it is below your expectations, then you can consider seeking for what is good for you.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending