The Student Room Group

Binomial % Error & Estimate..

Hi,

I have completed a binomial expansion from the Edexcel Jan 2009 C4 paper. Question 3, part B says to expand f(x) in ascending powers of x, up to and including the term x2x^2. I have done this and get :

4+0x+934x24 + 0x + 9\frac{3}{4}x^2

part c reads 'Find the percentage error made in using the series expansion in part (b) to estimate the value of f(0.2). Give your answer to two significant figures.

I don't really have a clue what to do..

Thanks for any help :smile:
Reply 1
well just sub in 0.2 into each expression and work them out using your calc. then divide the binomial value by the actual value and times by 100 to work out what percentage the expansion value is of the actual value, then subtract this from 100 to get the error.
Reply 2
I subbed 0.2 into the function, which was :

4/(3x+2)^2 + 3/(1-x)

found by using partial fractions. (There was another bit but you had to prove that A - the numerator was equal to zero therefore it cancels out). I get 10.51. I then sub 0.2 into my expansion and get 4.39. These values are unusually far apart - is this correct?
Danielisew
I subbed 0.2 into the function, which was :

4/(3x+2)^2 + 3/(1-x)

found by using partial fractions. (There was another bit but you had to prove that A - the numerator was equal to zero therefore it cancels out). I get 10.51. I then sub 0.2 into my expansion and get 4.39. These values are unusually far apart - is this correct?

You've evaluated the value of the initial function incorrectly, it's 4.342 (with those partial fractions), not 10.51.
Reply 4
ghostwalker
You've evaluated the value of the initial function incorrectly, it's 4.342 (with those partial fractions), not 10.51.

But how =[

I get 6.76 for the first fraction and 3.75 for the second fraction.
Danielisew
But how =[

I get 6.76 for the first fraction and 3.75 for the second fraction.

I don't know how you're working it out, but 6.76 is just the denominator of the first fraction.

Latest