The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Ok; they do.
Reply 2
Y?

Actually in my "middle" school, sulphur was americanised (americanized) to sulfur. But at upper school it was back to sulphur.
Reply 3
Alcohol5%
Y?

Actually in my "middle" school, sulphur was americanised (americanized) to sulfur. But at upper school it was back to sulphur.

lol, I tend to use both spellings interchangably! To be honest, I didn't even think about doing it till I read this post!
Reply 4
It's only been sorta half heartedly changed to get it in line with the americans. but americans cant spell basically.

Now Philip = Filip
Phone = Fone
...phile = File. So what is the really file?

The list goes on...... and on...... and on.......
Reply 5
Alcohol5%
It's only been sorta half heartedly changed to get it in line with the americans. but americans cant spell basically.

Now Philip = Filip
Phone = Fone
...phile = File. So what is the really file?

The list goes on...... and on...... and on.......

I didn't know they actually spell 'phone' as 'fone' - I assumed that was just txt speak lol!
Reply 6
Da Mouse
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!! Please, someone tell me that universities use the old names for chemicals and stuff?!?!??!?!?!?!?

At Durham they tend to use traditional names and then scornfully quote the modern name from time to time
Reply 7
NikNak
I didn't know they actually spell 'phone' as 'fone' - I assumed that was just txt speak lol!

It is just txt spk, im jst mking a point, lol
Philip is nt now splled Filip by thm.
Alcohol5%
Y?

:eek:
well if the IUPAC name is about 7 feet long then we tend to use the traditional name.

Ethene is a good one though, ethylene anyone?

Ethyne, acetylene, whatever...

Latest

Trending

Trending