The Student Room Group

University Application Deadline help

Hi guys

So I'm going to be honest I am not sure how to approach this.

I'm looking to start university in September 2024 however I have not submitted my application as of yet, as I am unsure on what course I would like to do.

I am interested in a range of subjects like primary teaching, architecture, design, computer science

Due to this I was going to take a period to find out my interests and then apply to the relevant subject later in the year as I understand the full deadline for applications would be June 30th

However I noticed that the deadline is 31st Jan for equal consideration. Normally I would not worry about this too much, however I am worried now that if I applied in say April or May that a lot of subjects at Uni's in my area (I live in Manchester) will not be available anymore.

I was thinking of just submitting an application with some subjects I would be interested in and then I have until June I believe to respond to the offers - however my personal statement would have to cater multiple subjects and I think it will give me less of a chance to get accepted, and then if I change my mind later on in the year about subjects I only have one extra choice and cannot change the personal statement!

Has anyone got any advice on this or if you have been in a similar mindset? Would leaving it past the January deadline be a big risk or will there still be a lot of courses available?

Thanks for any advice
Original post by PandaBooper
Hi guys

I'm looking to start university in September 2024 however I have not submitted my application as of yet, as I am unsure on what course I would like to do.

I am interested in a range of subjects like primary teaching, architecture, design, computer science

Due to this I was going to take a period to find out my interests and then apply to the relevant subject later in the year as I understand the full deadline for applications would be June 30th

However I noticed that the deadline is 31st Jan for equal consideration. Normally I would not worry about this too much, however I am worried now that if I applied in say April or May that a lot of subjects at Uni's in my area (I live in Manchester) will not be available anymore.

I was thinking of just submitting an application with some subjects I would be interested in and then I have until June I believe to respond to the offers - however my personal statement would have to cater multiple subjects and I think it will give me less of a chance to get accepted, and then if I change my mind later on in the year about subjects I only have one extra choice and cannot change the personal statement!

Has anyone got any advice on this or if you have been in a similar mindset? Would leaving it past the January deadline be a big risk or will there still be a lot of courses available?

Thanks for any advice

Given your wide range of interests ("primary teaching, architecture, design, computer science"), I would suggest not applying at all this year. Instead, take a gap year to explore and better understand your interests, and then apply for September 2025 entry.

That way you can write a personal statement which explains why you want to study your target subject (you can't do that right now) and you can hit next year's equal consideration deadline, and thus avoid missing-out on offers simply because courses are already full.
Reply 2
As above - step back and think carefully about you actually want to do, and why.
Get some relevant experience - working in a school etc - or investigate what these degrees involve by going to Uni Open Days in June etc. Then apply in September for 2025 entry.
Hi guys

Thanks for any advice

I think the advice already provided is vey wise. However just to say the vast majority of courses will be available after the deadline and many will be available in clearing. Every year approximately 1/2 dozen fill all their courses and some other universities will fill some or most of their courses. Outside of the top 20 or less universities most courses will be available in most universities although Manchester university might have limited courses available.
Reply 4
Hi guys

Thank you for the responses

As I am a mature student (26) I do not want to leave going back to studying any longer - so I would like to ensure I am certainly attending September 2024

Is there a big chance I will struggle to find courses If I do not apply by the January deadline, or will there still be a lot of courses still available on average?

Thanks
Hi guys

As I am a mature student (26) I do not want to leave going back to studying any longer - so I would like to ensure I am certainly attending September 2024

Is there a big chance I will struggle to find courses If I do not apply by the January deadline, or will there still be a lot of courses still available on average?

Thanks

This is a list of universities in clearing and the number of course last year. It changes every year but nearly, if not all, subjects will be available somewhere. The top universities have fewer vacancies and Manchester will have fewer subjects available than others but there will be vacancies available in the region in May

Clearing 2023: UK universities with courses still available
Prepare for clearing in advance by checking which UK universities have courses available ahead of A-level results day on 17 August

Seeta Bhardwa
Editor, THE Student
July 28 2023

ADVERTISEMENT
With A-level results day fast approaching in the UK (results are out on 17 August), students will be eager to find out whether they have achieved their first (or second) choice of university.
Students who miss out on their choices can go through a process called clearing to select a different course or university. University clearing is already open on the Ucas website, and you can search for courses that are still available at UK universities. In advance of results day, students can browse the clearing courses still available just to prepare themselves for any outcome.
The university application process is set to be competitive this year. For many students who were unable to complete exams or who wish to change subjects, Ucas clearing can help them understand which courses universities are offering and which universities still have courses available. If you have any specific concerns about how courses will be taught, it’s best to contact your prospective university to find out.
How to survive A-level results day Ucas clearing advice from students who have been through it A-level results day: what to do when you receive your A-level results Navigating clearing: what to do if you don’t receive your grades Clearing: what you should say on the phone to universities
Some of the top institutions in the UK are notably missing from the clearing catalogue, including the University of Oxford, the University of Cambridge and Imperial College London.
Others, such as the University of Bristol, have now closed their early clearing applications; however, students are able to register their interest before results day and then will be able to browse courses closer to results day.
Nevertheless, many of the best universities in the UK have plenty of clearing places available for a range of courses including cybersecurity, data science, psychology and history. Students must contact universities directly to secure a place through clearing.
ADVERTISEMENT
Below are the top universities in the UK (according to the Times Higher Education World University Rankings) with clearing places available at both undergraduate and postgraduate level. This table was correct at the time of publication but as things could change it’s a good idea to check the Ucas clearing selection tool regularly.
This is also based on a general search, so it’s always worth refining the search based on your location and requirements.
UK Rank 2023World University Rank 2023University Clearing courses available 2023529University of Edinburgh19 courses available including nursing studies635King’s College London15 courses available including artificial intelligence10=82University of Glasgow20 courses available including environmental science and sustainability11=104University of Warwick52 courses available including chemistry, French studies and sociology=12=108University of Birmingham244 courses available including ancient history, civil engineering and music=12=108University of Southampton172 courses available including geology, philosophy and textile design14=114University of Sheffield200 courses available including architecture, criminology and geography15122Lancaster University402 courses available including computer science, economics and film studies16=124Queen Mary University of London292 courses available including acturial science, drama and finance17.=128University of Leeds13 courses available including audiology18130University of Nottingham183 courses available including classics, food science and microbiology19=137University of Exeter2 courses available including philosophy and politics=20=139Newcastle University151 courses available including agriculture, English literature and linguistics=20=139University of York204 courses available including business and management, ecology and genetics22=163University of Leicester152 courses available including accounting, English and international relations23=176University of Liverpool582 courses available including climate science, engineering and pharmacology24=187Cardiff University246 courses available including archaeology, French and maths25=192University of Aberdeen414 courses available including biology, German studies and law=26=198Queen's University Belfast211 courses available including drama, history and marine biology=26=198University of Reading300 courses available including business economics, medical science and nutrition=29201-250University of Dundee193 courses available including animation, mental health nursing and physics=29201-250University of East Anglia275 courses available including geophysics, liberal arts and modern languages=29201-250St George's, University of London4 courses available including biomedical science=29201-250University of Surrey328 courses available including aerospace engineering, media and communication and theatre production=29201-250University of Sussex202 courses available including art history, computer science and genetics=35251-300University of Bath44 courses available including civil engineering, pharmacology and physics=35251-300Bournemouth University174 courses available including adult nursing, computing and events management=35251-300Swansea University461 courses available including education, finance and marketing=39301-350Anglia Ruskin University (ARU)322 courses available including architecture, digital media production and forensic science=39301-350University of Essex855 courses available including computer games, economics and global studies=41351-400Birkbeck, University of London151 courses available including biomedicine, creative writing and philosophy=41351-400City, University of London120 courses available including linguistics, data science and history=41351-400University of Kent249 courses available including film and media, human geography and international business=41351-400Loughborough University218 courses available including bioengineering, design and politics=41351-400Royal Holloway, University of London249 courses available including astrophysics, Greek and social science=41351-400University of Stirling167 courses available including digital media, environmental science and Scottish history=48401-500Aston University70 courses available including chemical engineering, neuroscience and psychology=48401-500Bangor University270 courses available including marketing, music and pharmacology=48401-500Brunel University London245 courses available including anthropology, creative writing and games design=48401-500Edinburgh Napier University80 courses available including data science, graphic design and sports coaching=48401-500University of Lincoln195 courses available including health and social science, maths and robotics=48401-500Liverpool John Moores University163 courses available including animal behaviour, public health and zoology=48401-500Middlesex University173 courses available including midwifery, interior design and photography=48401-500University of Plymouth187 courses available including drama, fine art and international relations=48401-500University of Portsmouth163 courses available including dental hygiene, pharmacy and mechanical engineering=48401-500SRUC (Scotland's Rural College)34 courses available including agriculture and veterinary nursing=48401-500University of Strathclyde83 courses available including Italian, law and maths=48401-500University of the West of England164 courses available including accounting, games technology and occupational therapy=60501-600Aberystwyth University338 courses available including English literature, plant biology and sociology=60501-600Birmingham City University200 courses available including construction management, journalism and sports therapy=60501-600University of Bradford126 courses available including nursing, paramedic science and software engineering=60501-600Goldsmiths, University of London77 courses available including arts management, education and music=60501-600University of Greenwich205 courses available including business studies, computer engineering and music and sound production=60501-600Heriot-Watt University124 courses available including business and finance, modern languages and quantity surveying=60501-600University of Hull215 courses available including chemical engineering, georgraphy and war and politics=60501-600Keele University283 courses available including geology, philosophy and radiography=60501-600Northumbria University139 courses available including fashion, history and mass communication=60501-600Nottingham Trent University360 courses available including content creation, games technology and microbiology=60501-600SOAS University of London164 courses available including East Asian studies, global development and Japanese=71601-800De Montfort University114 courses available including cyber security, media production and visual effects=71601-800University of Derby182 courses available including early childhood studies, graphic design and theatre arts=71601-800Glasgow Caledonian University74 courses available including AI and data science, food science and optometry=71601-800University of Hertfordshire164 courses available including business economics, event management and physics=71601-800London South Bank University130 courses available including psychology, sociology and urban and environmental planning=71601-800Manchester Metropolitan University218 courses available including fashion, French and product design=71601-800Oxford Brookes University174 courses available including artificial intelligence, equine science and medical science=71601-800Ulster University154 courses available including economics, outdoor adventure and real estate=71601-800University of the West of Scotland77 courses available including aircraft engineering, physics and web and mobile development=71601-800University of Wolverhampton266 courses available including international relations, pharmacology and primary education=83801-1000University of Bedfordshire258 courses available including construction design, physiotherapy and social work=83801-1000University of Brighton153 courses available including civil engineering, podiatry and sport studies=83801-1000Coventry University326 courses available including global marketing, law and tourism and hospitality management=83801-1000Edge Hill University138 courses available including dance, international business and television=83801-1000Kingston University220 courses available including nutrition, sociology and sport science=83801-1000Leeds Beckett University132 courses available including cyber security, project management and teaching and education=83801-1000University of Roehampton106 courses available including digital technologies, liberal arts and web design and development=83801-1000University of Salford212 courses available including biological sciences, film production and social policy=83801-1000Sheffield Hallam University221 courses available including economics, human biology and politics=83801-1000University of Winchester110 courses available including classical studies, geography and modern history=931001 - 1200Cardiff Metropolitan University129 courses available including architecture, dental technology and textile design=931001 - 1200University of Central Lancashire353 courses available including medical sciences, robotics engineering and sports therapy=931001 - 1200University of East London275 courses available including advertising, counselling and performing arts=931001 - 1200Robert Gordon University65 courses available including computer science, design and pharmacy=931001 - 1200University of South Wales258 courses available including building surveying, criminal justice and natural history=931001 - 1200University of Sunderland143 courses available including childhood studies, cosmetic science and health and social care=931001 - 1200Teesside University219 courses available including animation, energy engineering and public services=931001 - 1200University of Westminster153 courses available including European legal studies, politics and Spanish=1011201-1500Canterbury Christ Church University278 courses available including chemical engineering, finance and plant science=1011201-1500University of Chester234 courses available including English language, modern languages and physical education=1011201-1500Staffordshire University205 courses available including forensic science, psychology and sound design
Hi guys

Thanks

If you’re restricting yourself to only Manchester universities then you’re likely to find your options limited (very likely with no options available for primary education or architecture)
Hi guys

Thanks

Normally when we see posts on TSR from people who say things like, "I want to be a vet, or an architect, or a diplomat - I haven't decided yet - what degree should I do?", it's from 18-year-olds who've had no life experience yet. That's understandable.

But you're 26. And you still haven't decided between "primary teaching, architecture, design, computer science". You've had years to decide where your interests lie. I don't know when you became aware of the equal consideration deadline, but rather than thinking, "OK - I've got to make a decision now.", you opted for, "Do I really need to apply now? Can I not wait a few more months?"

What do you expect to change in the next few months which will allow to choose between those disparate options? Or will you be back here on June 29th asking about the courses likely to be available in Clearing, as you just can't decide?
Hi guys

Thanks for any advice

Out of all your indecisions, go for primary teaching. Easiest of your options to write a personal statement for, easiest to get a place on a course, easiest to get work experience for, easiest to get a job at the end, most flexible degree if you want to do something other than it at the end. Also, primary teachers get to explore lots of things and need to have a wide range of interests!
(edited 3 months ago)
Hi guys

Thanks for any advice

Hey PandaBooper,

My name is Will, I'm a Media Production student from Bournemouth University.
I completely understand where you are coming from. I had a similar experience myself.
Given your time constraint before the deadline, you may not have time to write your full application to the best of your ability, but it is still possible.
I'm like you where I have a wide range of interests, what helped me when deciding is writing down on a piece of paper everything you are interested in and writing down the pros and cons of each then often you will find which ones have the most pros and that is often the one you are most interested in.

I hope this helps
Will - BU Student Rep
Hi guys

Thanks for any advice

Hi I'd recommend choosing between those options what you enjoy most and would like to study further at university. It's also worth doing a personal statement and applying before the deadline but don't worry too much about it as there's also lots of options of courses available in clearing!
Original post by SOAS Student Rep
Hi I'd recommend choosing between those options what you enjoy most and would like to study further at university. It's also worth doing a personal statement and applying before the deadline but don't worry too much about it as there's also lots of options of courses available in clearing!

How many of OPs subjects ("primary teaching, architecture, design, computer science" ) does SOAS offer?
Hi guys

Thanks for any advice

Hello @PandaBooper 😊

Choosing a course can be very tricky and its great to see you are reaching out for advice.

As other people have already mentioned, I would advise that you take some time to consider what you would like to study so you can make sure you're making the right decision for you.

Something you might not have considered yet is an alternate start date, which could buy you a little more time to think without having to wait an entire year. Many courses now offer a variety of start dates, for example here at LIBF you can choose any day of the year to start your course, which includes our BSc and MSc Computer Science degree courses. You can read more about this here: https://bit.ly/4beYVNI

I hope this helps with your decision!

Thank you,

Becky

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending