The Student Room Group

s2 hypothesis testing

this is the question, i am abit confused on.

Dhriti grows tomatoes. Over a period of time, she has found that there is a probability 0.3 of a ripe tomato having a diameter greater than 4 cm. She decides to try a new fertiliser. In a random sample of 40 ripe tomatoes, 18 have a diameter greater than 4 cm. Dhriti claims that the new fertiliser has increased the probability of a ripe tomato being greater than 4 cm in diameter.

Test Dhriti’s claim at the 5% level of significance. State your hypotheses clearly.

so, this is what i have got
P= 0.3 Ho: P=4 H1: p>1 n= 40 x=18

and i will be looking on the bionomial table for the value of 17 when p is 0.30
and do 1- ANS
but the value of 17 is 1.000 ??

can someone please help me with this question, and tell me where i need to be looking on table. thanks

thanks in advance
Reply 1
jeeano
Hnaught: p=0.3
Hone: p>0.3
thats where your going wrong
now try it
thats defo rite :smile:

i got that..
can you work out the answer and tell me what you get please.
Reply 2
if it helps i look on the bionomial table p=0.30 and n=17... then i do 1- this answer. but its wrong
Reply 3
jeeano
im sorry but i cant help with the rest
ive been taught a wacky way to do hypothesis testing at skl that no1 else does
so i dont wanna confuse you. but ye sorry
that how my skl does it.
and lyrics of a milli eh? lool
gd luk n sorry i coulnt help further

dont worry i wont get confused.. just post your final answer.
Reply 4
Moved to Maths Help.

130ss
dont worry i wont get confused.. just post your final answer.

See the maths forum guidelines. Asking for help with your work is fine, but asking somebody to give you an answer is against the rules unfortunately.
Reply 5
Gooner
Moved to Maths Help.

See the maths forum guidelines. Asking for help with your work is fine, but asking somebody to give you an answer is against the rules unfortunately.

whattt??? how come?? wtf is up with that stupid rule.
I have just been doing past papers. and have come across a question which i am unsure of.. its the jan 08 s2 edexcel paper.

Gooner
Moved to Maths Help.

you CAN ask people for the answer.
Reply 6
130ss
whattt??? how come?? wtf is up with that stupid rule.
I have just been doing past papers. and have come across a question which i am unsure of.. its the jan 08 s2 edexcel paper.

you CAN ask people for the answer.

"To make it perfectly clear, the consensus (and forum rule), is that posting of full solutions should be considered a last resort..."

Unless you've evidently tried, showing your working out, then please don't try to get others to do your work for you. As the rules state, "posting a full solution means you're not letting the person asking the question see where they went wrong". By not showing that you've tried, you're therefore breaking this rule in that you're not proving that you've any knowledge of/will to know where you're going wrong.
Reply 7
Gooner
"To make it perfectly clear, the consensus (and forum rule), is that posting of full solutions should be considered a last resort..."

Unless you've evidently tried, showing your working out, then please don't try to get others to do your work for you. As the rules state, "posting a full solution means you're not letting the person asking the question see where they went wrong". By not showing that you've tried, you're therefore breaking this rule in that you're not proving that you've any knowledge of/will to know where you're going wrong.

mate no offence.. but you clearly have not taken maths.
if you did have stats knowledge you will know i found.. "H1" and "Ho" this is the null and the alternative hypothesis.. this is one part of the question. another part would be to use table to find answer.. this is what i am finding it hard on..
i have basically got 4/7 marks.. the other 3 will come from the answer. this is what i dont get.
also what is up with this rule thing. i am not doing nothing bad. its mods like you that annoy me.. oh read TSR rule.... get a ......
Reply 8
130ss
mate no offence.. but you clearly have not taken maths.
if you did have stats knowledge you will know i found.. "H1" and "Ho" this is the null and the alternative hypothesis.. this is one part of the question. another part would be to use table to find answer.. this is what i am finding it hard on..
i have basically got 4/7 marks.. the other 3 will come from the answer. this is what i dont get.
also what is up with this rule thing. i am not doing nothing bad. its mods like you that annoy me.. oh read TSR rule.... get a ......

No, you're right, I don't have an A-Level in Maths. I do, however, know how to spot when somebody is asking for the answer to their maths work. I shan't carry this on anymore in this thread. If you wish to take it further, please start a thread in AAMM.:smile:
Reply 9
Gooner
No, you're right, I don't have an A-Level in Maths. I do, however, know how to spot when somebody is asking for the answer to their maths work. I shan't carry this on anymore in this thread. If you wish to take it further, please start a thread in AAMM.:smile:

"so, this is what i have got

and do 1- ANS
but the value of 17 is 1.000 ??"""

is this asking for the answer!!!
this is asking for help.. so have a nice day.
please if you know nothing about maths excuse yourself
Reply 10
which table did you look? if you have a look in the table on the book, n is a maximum 20 but in this case its 40. but in the formula booklet provided it gives n at a maximum of 40..
Reply 11
130ss
"so, this is what i have got

and do 1- ANS
but the value of 17 is 1.000 ??"""

is this asking for the answer!!!
this is asking for help.. so have a nice day.
please if you know nothing about maths excuse yourself

first of all i recommend that u only use the edexcel formula sheet - it helps as u become familiar with it

X~B(40, 0.3)

Ho: p=0.3
H1: p>0.3

since we are testing to see if the probability has improved, we check to see

p(X>= 18)= 1-P(x<= 17)=.0633 ~~ 6.33%

Therefore, Ho should not be rejected, i.e. there is not sufficient evidence to suggest that the probability of increased diameter has improved.
Reply 12
oh btw - i hope that u enjoyed the answer
Reply 13
syn3rgy
first of all i recommend that u only use the edexcel formula sheet - it helps as u become familiar with it

X~B(40, 0.3)

Ho: p=0.3
H1: p>0.3

since we are testing to see if the probability has improved, we check to see

p(X>= 18)= 1-P(x<= 17)=.0633 ~~ 6.33%

Therefore, Ho should not be rejected, i.e. there is not sufficient evidence to suggest that the probability of increased diameter has improved.

sorry but your answer is wrong..
https://eiewebvip.edexcel.org.uk/Reports/Confidential%20Documents/0801/6684_01_rms_20080306.pdf
question 5.. they mark scheme says 0.0320

got it!!!! :woo: yep i needed to look up the full table.. the formula book helped. thank you. then its a simple calculation..

Latest