The Student Room Group

Access to HE Optometry for UWE bristol

i’m about to enroll into an Access to HE science course because i want to do optometry afterwards but i have a question. the entry requirements for UWE state that the subjects they want 30 lv 3 credits in distinction must be in at least 2 of these subjects : maths, physics, chemistry, biology/human biology and psychology. the problem is in my access course, they only do chemistry physics and human physiology. just wanted to check if Bristol would accept these i’ve also emailed them last week and no reply as of yet. any help would be greatly appreciated thanks!
Original post by af_kkkk
i’m about to enroll into an Access to HE science course because i want to do optometry afterwards but i have a question. the entry requirements for UWE state that the subjects they want 30 lv 3 credits in distinction must be in at least 2 of these subjects : maths, physics, chemistry, biology/human biology and psychology. the problem is in my access course, they only do chemistry physics and human physiology. just wanted to check if Bristol would accept these i’ve also emailed them last week and no reply as of yet. any help would be greatly appreciated thanks!

Your Access course should be OK. Most of the subjects are in sciences, which is what theya re looking for in the Optometry degree.

To play things safe, I would double check how many credits you have in chemistry and physics; you would ideally have 30 credits in both of these subjects (it balances things out).

If the above is fine, then your next step is to ensure you get at least 30 distinctions in your Access course.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by MindMax2000
Your Access course should be OK. Most of the subjects are in sciences, which is what theya re looking for in the Optometry degree.

To play things safe, I would double check how many credits you have in chemistry and physics; you would ideally have 30 credits in both of these subjects (it balances things out).

If the above is fine, then your next step is to ensure you get at least 30 distinctions in your Access course.

hi thank you for your reply :smile:,

so the subjects in my access course are:
Developmental (6 credits)
Human Physiology (18 credits)
Chemistry (18 credits)
Physics (18 credits)
I will be studying 60 credits in total and 45 of those are grades while the remaining 15 credits will be ungraded. I was just anxious as i felt like Bristol wouldn’t accept the human physiology in place of biology or human biology but what do you think?
Original post by af_kkkk
hi thank you for your reply :smile:,

so the subjects in my access course are:
Human Physiology (18 credits)
Chemistry (18 credits)
Physics (18 credits)
I will be studying 60 credits in total and 45 of those are grades while the remaining 15 credits will be ungraded. I was just anxious as i felt like Bristol wouldn’t accept the human physiology in place of biology or human biology but what do you think?

I was a little concerned about the physiology stuff in place of biology or human biology as well. Some universities are picky about this, hence why I was asking about the chemistry and physics credits as a back up option.

As you previously specified: "the entry requirements for UWE state that the subjects they want 30 lv 3 credits in distinction must be in at least 2 of these subjects : maths, physics, chemistry, biology/human biology and psychology." You have 36 credits in chemistry and phsyics, so you would be fine if you get distinctions in these should they reject your physiology modules anyway.

I would still aim for straight distinctions still, because getting anything less than 45 straight distinctions is not going to help.
15 ungraded credits is standard in any Access course, and it's the 45 graded credits that the universities look at.
Reply 4
I was a little concerned about the physiology stuff in place of biology or human biology as well. Some universities are picky about this, hence why I was asking about the chemistry and physics credits as a back up option.

As you previously specified: "the entry requirements for UWE state that the subjects they want 30 lv 3 credits in distinction must be in at least 2 of these subjects : maths, physics, chemistry, biology/human biology and psychology." You have 36 credits in chemistry and phsyics, so you would be fine if you get distinctions in these should they reject your physiology modules anyway.

I would still aim for straight distinctions still, because getting anything less than 45 straight distinctions is not going to help.
15 ungraded credits is standard in any Access course, and it's the 45 graded credits that the universities look at.

Thank you for clearing that up. i’ve just seen that they also do another option for the Access to science course which is
Biology (30 credits)
Chemistry (12 credits)
Physics (12 credits)
would you think this would be a better choice ? than the physiology option? also in regards to getting 45 distinctions, how hard do you think this would be is it achievable?
Original post by af_kkkk
Thank you for clearing that up. i’ve just seen that they also do another option for the Access to science course which is
Biology (30 credits)
Chemistry (12 credits)
Physics (12 credits)
would you think this would be a better choice ? than the physiology option? also in regards to getting 45 distinctions, how hard do you think this would be is it achievable?

This is where I would contact the uni to be sure. This is because you only get 12 credits each in chemistry and physics.

The entry requirements specifically ask for 30 credits in 2 science subjects (or the equivalent of 2 A Levels). 15 credits would be a rough equivalent of an A Level, so if you only have 30 credits in biology, I would class that as 2 A Levels in biology related subjects, but inadequate credits in chemistry of physics for them to constitute as full A Levels.

As far as I can tell, you should be fine, but I would double to check nevertheless as opposed to guessing.

How hard to get 45 distinctions? Challenging but very achievable if you work hard and play your cards right. If you're using the wrong study strategies and not doing your assignments correctly, then it's very difficult.
If you have done A Levels before, it's very different with Access. Access courses tend to mirror the uni learning style and environment a lot more closely than A Levels. You would be focusing on the assessment criteria and grade descriptors and provide sufficient evidence to get the grades. This is not the same thing as just getting the right answers, as with A Levels.
Reply 6
This is where I would contact the uni to be sure. This is because you only get 12 credits each in chemistry and physics.

The entry requirements specifically ask for 30 credits in 2 science subjects (or the equivalent of 2 A Levels). 15 credits would be a rough equivalent of an A Level, so if you only have 30 credits in biology, I would class that as 2 A Levels in biology related subjects, but inadequate credits in chemistry of physics for them to constitute as full A Levels.

As far as I can tell, you should be fine, but I would double to check nevertheless as opposed to guessing.

How hard to get 45 distinctions? Challenging but very achievable if you work hard and play your cards right. If you're using the wrong study strategies and not doing your assignments correctly, then it's very difficult.
If you have done A Levels before, it's very different with Access. Access courses tend to mirror the uni learning style and environment a lot more closely than A Levels. You would be focusing on the assessment criteria and grade descriptors and provide sufficient evidence to get the grades. This is not the same thing as just getting the right answers, as with A Levels.

Thank you so much for your replies i was very anxious as im not familiar with the access course neither are any of my friends or family so thank you for clearing up and helping me with this i greatly appreciate it :smile: ! also i was looking at another website online and they do biology at 30 credits, physics at 21 and developmental at 9 so i think i should be okay with this option as i feel like biology is my strongest science and i enjoy physics.

i have done btec applied science lv 3 before this and due to problems at home i wasn’t able to achieve the grades needed for optometry so i’m doing access to try again. i also feel like access assignments might be somewhat similar to what i had to do in btec and if that’s the case then that puts me a bit at ease as i sort of know what to expect.
anyways, thank you again for all your help i appreciate it <3
Reply 7
Original post by af_kkkk

Hey I want to do the access course to entry optometry at Bristol , I was wondering where you're doing your course ?
Reply 8
Original post by amoredevil
Hey I want to do the access course to entry optometry at Bristol , I was wondering where you're doing your course ?

i’m doing it with learndirect!

Quick Reply

Latest