The Student Room Group
Reply 1
High voltage supplies have low currents....
Reply 2
n0c0ntr0l
High voltage supplies have low currents....

But by V= IR

I is big if V is Big?
Reply 3
sonic23
But by V= IR

I is big if V is Big?

They cheat, by using the transformer trick, massive V, low I same amount of energy. So you are far better off with 400V and like 2A than 400kV and 0.02micro amps. It's far easier to just heat that one, that using the EHT which has the tiniest current.
Reply 4
n0c0ntr0l
They cheat, by using the transformer trick, massive V, low I same amount of energy. So you are far better off with 400V and like 2A than 400kV and 0.02micro amps. It's far easier to just heat that one, that using the EHT which has the tiniest current.

So your saying in all cases, when there is a low voltage, there is a high current.

So the current from 6v is enough to heat up a cathode? How? Wouldnt 2A stil be very cold?

thanks
Reply 5
sonic23
So your saying in all cases, when there is a low voltage, there is a high current.

So the current from 6v is enough to heat up a cathode? How? Wouldnt 2A stil be very cold?

thanks

No i'm not saying that. I'm just saying it's not practical to use the actual current to heat a cathode unless you have a shedload of power. It's obviously not enough to heat electrons off. So what you is have a second heat source (a flame does the job well) trained on the wire that allows the electrons to be boiled off.
Reply 6
n0c0ntr0l
No i'm not saying that. I'm just saying it's not practical to use the actual current to heat a cathode unless you have a shedload of power. It's obviously not enough to heat electrons off. So what you is have a second heat source (a flame does the job well) trained on the wire that allows the electrons to be boiled off.

So what the hell is the point in having a low voltage supply to heat the cathode when it doesnt do ****
Reply 7
sonic23
So what the hell is the point in having a low voltage supply to heat the cathode when it doesnt do ****

It's not there to heat the cathode, it's there to provide new electrons.

Anyway what question is this from?!
Reply 8
The cathode is normally heated indirectly using a very thin wire which gets very hot. (Think light bulb here)

We use a 12v ac supply.
Reply 9
n0c0ntr0l
It's not there to heat the cathode, it's there to provide new electrons.

Anyway what question is this from?!

yes it is. its not from a question its just to do with the elements of an electron gun.

Latest