The Student Room Group

Rust trial: Armourer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed was 'sloppy' before Alec Baldwin gun fired

Still pretty wild this woman is pleading not guilty here. Surely even someone not trained as an armourer would know not to intermingle live and blank rounds?!
It was rather interesting actually, i was speaking to a friend in the defence force a wee while ago about this when it last popped up on the news.. their eyes boggled that someone could be incompetent enough to not only leave the two types of ammunition near each other but actually mistake them, least of all in this context.

Broadly though, whilst Baldwin is undeniably guilty of gross misconduct for discharging a firearm that he hadn'tmade safe, this tragedy would never have occurred if this woman hadnt been playing fast and loose there.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-68376732
Reply 1
(As always I urge people not to click on BBC links as the BBC is not a credible or trustworthy source)

Ultimately, Alec Baldwin is the darling of liberal Hollywood and therefore can't be culpable for this mess - despite being primarily and obviously to blame for it from beginning to end.

Alec Baldwin employed Reed despite knowing that she was unqualified and inexperienced. He's producer and ultimately responsible for what happens on set. If you are making a movie that involves a lot of guns and gunplay and you employ someone incompetent in such a key role - it's your fault.

Alec Baldwin ultimately picked up a gun without knowing what was in it, and knowing that it was a real gun (not a fake gun - and the term "prop" as his team have repeatedly used means that it was part of a movie inventory - not that it wasn't a real gun), he pointed it at a member of the crew and he pulled the trigger - when there was no need to do so.

Alec Baldwin lied about this from beginning to end.

The husband of the deceased cinematographer has suddenly become an executive producer on the movie.

This is Hollywood, ladies and gentlemen. The same people that tell you guns are bad and nobody should have them - at the same time as making money from movies about people with guns, and actually killing people with them.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Trinculo
(As always I urge people not to click on BBC links as the BBC is not a credible or trustworthy source)

Ultimately, Alec Baldwin is the darling of liberal Hollywood and therefore can't be culpable for this mess - despite being primarily and obviously to blame for it from beginning to end.

Alec Baldwin employed Reed despite knowing that she was unqualified and inexperienced. He's producer and ultimately responsible for what happens on set. If you are making a movie that involves a lot of guns and gunplay and you employ someone incompetent in such a key role - it's your fault.

Alec Baldwin ultimately picked up a gun without knowing what was in it, and knowing that it was a real gun (not a fake gun - and the term "prop" as his team have repeatedly used means that it was part of a movie inventory - not that it wasn't a real gun), he pointed it at a member of the crew and he pulled the trigger - when there was no need to do so.

Alec Baldwin lied about this from beginning to end.

The husband of the deceased cinematographer has suddenly become an executive producer on the movie.

This is Hollywood, ladies and gentlemen. The same people that tell you guns are bad and nobody should have them - at the same time as making money from movies about people with guns, and actually killing people with them.
Why exactly? He should have checked, and not fired, the gun but it is literally the womans job to make it safe and ensure the correct ammunition is n it. Why she would be playing with live/dud ammo at the same time is staggering.

Yes, he needs to be held to account for his moronic actions but im curious why you think she isnt somehow equally as guilty considering her actions were what set this whole thing in motion. Simply because she couldn't do her job to even a basic degree

As a matter of interest what source would you use? I do take your point on the bbc, albeit more on an FP/social angle
Original post by Napp
Why exactly? He should have checked, and not fired, the gun but it is literally the womans job to make it safe and ensure the correct ammunition is n it. Why she would be playing with live/dud ammo at the same time is staggering.

Yes, he needs to be held to account for his moronic actions but im curious why you think she isnt somehow equally as guilty considering her actions were what set this whole thing in motion. Simply because she couldn't do her job to even a basic degree

As a matter of interest what source would you use? I do take your point on the bbc, albeit more on an FP/social angle

I'm not saying that Reed isn't also culpable. I'm saying that it was Baldwin's finger on the trigger therefore he is always primarily to blame. Of course she was incompetent - possibly to level of criminally incompetent. But this was known - and yet Baldwin employed her anyway, and then behaved in an incredibly reckless manner, and has lied about this from the beginning. His story has been that he did not squeeze the trigger. The gun has been forensically examined and found to be in full working order.

First hand sources are available from the District Attorney's press releases and filings. Good second hand reporting from Ryan Kinel's channel - although he gets boring after a while.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending