The Student Room Group

A-Level NEA Product Design. Ideas??

Hey y’all, in a few weeks I’m gonna be starting my final NEA project for my A-Level product design course, where the brief is literally “do anything”. I’m supposed to know exactly by Thursday which isn’t going to happen but any suggestions would be really really helpful right now!

I figured it would good to get some background so next year at uni I’m considering going into aerospace so something that represents that maybe would be good? Idk and I’m a little overwhelmed by the suddenness of it all.

Anyway thanks for reading this far, if you reply I’ll love you forever peace out
i did a level product design and also doing aerospace right now!

It sure would be good. One of my 'ideas' for my project that linked in with aerospace was to make a camera drone but the problem i was investigating was that drones on the market are really expensive and require budgeting and i wanted to find a way to make drones more accessible to aspiring and current movie makers, photographers etc. See the thing is for us in the past, we sort of had the brief to do anything but we had to solve a problem with the product. Well, the reason why I disbanded it was that it cost a bit too much of what i was trying to do and there wasn't much room for 'initial ideas' and different designs and stuff which is one of the criteria you are marked against, but that's something you could look into?

But if you want to go with aerospace, you could do something along the lines of a glider, quad copter or drone maybe even a small scale relandable rocket like spaceX? (NOTE: this could also be quite costly and a bit technical which means you may have to learn some topics you would learn at university to make sure it will work but pretty much everything is online nowadays). but it might be hard to find a client to conduct interviews etc (idk if you have to do this or if its changed).

But yeah if its literally "do anything", then i guess you can make a multitude of things, but id say choose a project that covers all aspects of the marking scheme/criteria like ergonomics etc.

But here are another few suggestions:

A piece of furniture like a new innovative table which might have a inbuilt key board or something or a chair which turns into a stool for reaching high places or even just a simple shelf for storing consoles and games.

A piece of equipment, i think i saw online somewhere that someone created a adjustable laptop cooling attachment which was pretty cool or another idea i came up with is a automatic watering plant pot.

i think the easiest way i've found for generating ideas is go around your house and see what you would want in everything you see and then boom, product or think of problems people deal with (for example messy computer cables) and then come up with a product to solve it (e.g. small furnished cable holders which stick to your wall and matches your interior design).

Hope this helps. Feel free to msg if you have any questions!
Reply 2
Original post by assassinjeev22
i did a level product design and also doing aerospace right now!

It sure would be good. One of my 'ideas' for my project that linked in with aerospace was to make a camera drone but the problem i was investigating was that drones on the market are really expensive and require budgeting and i wanted to find a way to make drones more accessible to aspiring and current movie makers, photographers etc. See the thing is for us in the past, we sort of had the brief to do anything but we had to solve a problem with the product. Well, the reason why I disbanded it was that it cost a bit too much of what i was trying to do and there wasn't much room for 'initial ideas' and different designs and stuff which is one of the criteria you are marked against, but that's something you could look into?

But if you want to go with aerospace, you could do something along the lines of a glider, quad copter or drone maybe even a small scale relandable rocket like spaceX? (NOTE: this could also be quite costly and a bit technical which means you may have to learn some topics you would learn at university to make sure it will work but pretty much everything is online nowadays). but it might be hard to find a client to conduct interviews etc (idk if you have to do this or if its changed).

But yeah if its literally "do anything", then i guess you can make a multitude of things, but id say choose a project that covers all aspects of the marking scheme/criteria like ergonomics etc.

But here are another few suggestions:

A piece of furniture like a new innovative table which might have a inbuilt key board or something or a chair which turns into a stool for reaching high places or even just a simple shelf for storing consoles and games.

A piece of equipment, i think i saw online somewhere that someone created a adjustable laptop cooling attachment which was pretty cool or another idea i came up with is a automatic watering plant pot.

i think the easiest way i've found for generating ideas is go around your house and see what you would want in everything you see and then boom, product or think of problems people deal with (for example messy computer cables) and then come up with a product to solve it (e.g. small furnished cable holders which stick to your wall and matches your interior design).

Hope this helps. Feel free to msg if you have any questions!

Hey thanks for the kind reply! I’m glad you brought up the SpaceX-esque model rocket idea, that was a concept ive had in my head for a while, though the complexity of such a thing would be huge. Additionally I need a client and I don’t know anybody near me who’s looking for a reusable rocket mail delivery system. That idea sounds awesome but might have to stay as a concept if I can’t find a client 😐
The other ideas sound cool, I’d love to find something focused in aerospace and especially astronautics or Spaceflight. It’s an area I’m really passionate about but I’m really restricted by the client requirements.

Thank you really really much again, it really helped, whenever I find what I’m going to do I’ll be sure to let you know!
No problem!

yeah, the client was the hardest thing for me too. I'd suggest going to maybe RC clubs/rocketeer clubs near you or an RC shop where you might be able to find some enthusiasts or maybe even find someone from Air Cadets that might be interested in this.

Good luck!

Original post by Samcoates11
Hey thanks for the kind reply! I’m glad you brought up the SpaceX-esque model rocket idea, that was a concept ive had in my head for a while, though the complexity of such a thing would be huge. Additionally I need a client and I don’t know anybody near me who’s looking for a reusable rocket mail delivery system. That idea sounds awesome but might have to stay as a concept if I can’t find a client 😐
The other ideas sound cool, I’d love to find something focused in aerospace and especially astronautics or Spaceflight. It’s an area I’m really passionate about but I’m really restricted by the client requirements.

Thank you really really much again, it really helped, whenever I find what I’m going to do I’ll be sure to let you know!
Well a few tips after just taking the exam. DON'T leave it till the last min. Get ahead of yourself asap. I actually made a gun rack for my project. I can't comment on areospace but pick something that shows off different skills, e.g. metal work, wood work, CAD, CAM, 3d printing CNC etc. Laser cutting is a good one. Not to put you off but it is hard work. The course work is 50% so spend the time on it.
I'm reading this a year later in the same position as you, out of interest, what did you build and how did it go?
Reply 6
What did you all finally choose .. I am in a similar position currently
Original post by Aar08
What did you all finally choose .. I am in a similar position currently

I made a height adjustable and foldable rollator and I also made an adjustable phone holder attachment for the further development

My original idea was a handheld ice scraper with a potentiometer (built into the handle) that slides which adjusts thr temperature of a heat pad which is on the scraping part itself.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Mohammed_Islam
I made a height adjustable and foldable rollator and I also made an adjustable phone holder attachment for the further development

My original idea was a handheld ice scraper with a potentiometer (built into the handle) that slides which adjusts thr temperature of a heat pad which is on the scraping part itself.

Fab idea
Original post by Aar08
Fab idea

No problem. Also i recommend the ice scraper one because it has electronics and circuits in it that'll score u more marks

Quick Reply

Latest