The Student Room Group

Self teaching myself AS AQA Government & Politics

Hi Guys,
I'm currently taking my AS levels..well actually I've finished my exams for them and we've started doing our A2's and I only did 3 AS's as I dropped the 4th one time ago.

I now want to pick up an AS level and self teach it and I have a huge interest in politics and I was thinking that AS Gov & Politics self taught may be suitable.

Would this be possible?
How hard is government and politics in general?
How hard would it be to self teach it?
Do you recommend any specific text books or resources

Thanks and sorry if this post seems a bit vague
Feel free to ask questions too haha!
Reply 1
PurpleConverse
Hi Guys,
I'm currently taking my AS levels..well actually I've finished my exams for them and we've started doing our A2's and I only did 3 AS's as I dropped the 4th one time ago.

I now want to pick up an AS level and self teach it and I have a huge interest in politics and I was thinking that AS Gov & Politics self taught may be suitable.

Would this be possible?
How hard is government and politics in general?
How hard would it be to self teach it?
Do you recommend any specific text books or resources

Thanks and sorry if this post seems a bit vague
Feel free to ask questions too haha!

1) Yes it would be possible
2) The AS new spec is not hard, as you say you have a huge interest in Politics it should be fine
3) Obviously self teaching yourself any AS level is hard and Politics is no different.
4) They tend not to use specific textbook for Politics, you use a wide range. There is a really good revision guide for AS politics but can't remember the name. I'll find out for you.

Any other questions you have about AS politics in general, don't hesitate to ask.
Hi I've just finished my government and politics A2 course. If you already have prior knowledge and a big interest in the subject I think it would be quite easy to teach your self. The subject on the whole is'nt pertucuarly hard, well if you put the work in it isnt. The first few months of our AS course was mainly made up of common sense and basic facts and history of the parties, which most people who have a prior interest of the subject will already know.
I used the AS Edexel revision guides for each unit.
Good luck with whatever you decide.
Reply 3
yes, i think u can self teach yourself.
BUT i recommend you to keep up to dates with the newspaper, issues, articles that you can use to give examples and relate to it in exams.
You definitely need to read other books aside from your textbook revision about politics and goverment ... i.e. democracy, ideology, thesis and you can go into deeper evaluation... bringing in other names of people is great and scores you AO2-A03
I have finished my A2 goverment and politics and i think i didn't do well so i need to resit it in january although its the last specification for gov and pol. I am taking a gap year.
I can help you out because my teachers gave lot and lots of handouts... to read... and analyse and for insight. We also watch documentary and dvd related to it.

I am sure you will do fine because u are interested in it. And it is a very interesting subject, i wish i can turn back time now but i can't... but if i can't resit it then i will not mind doing self study of AS politics and gov AS and A2 in one year self study taught.
Email me on [email protected] if u have any other enquiry okie! =))
Reply 4
Yes, Government and Politics AS is quite manageable.

I would recommend purchasing the unit guides to each module - Phillip Allan Updates publish books on each of the three units specifically written for the AQA syllabus.

The most useful thing you can do is to download past exam papers and practice them - then check your answers against the mark schemes. All of this can be found on the AQA website.

Good luck. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending