The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alexsheppard11
The touchpad I could not get along with.

Those 2 Lenovo's look good

Reckon they'd be reliable and last? Really need a portable laptop which will last me a long time. Thanks 4 your help
Original post by alenax
Eek why? I was going to buy an external hard drive from them...

Original post by GokhanKocak
ebuyer.com is hopeless.

It's not it's great! Cheap, easy, reliable and quick.

Yay because you get a £50 rebate on Samsung laptops at the moment.
Original post by yahyahyahs
Yay because you get a £50 rebate on Samsung laptops at the moment.

How? :holmes:

And is that if you buy anywhere?
Original post by cambo211
How? :holmes:

And is that if you buy anywhere?

I don't think it does depend what store (you better check) as long as you buy it new, but yeah, you just buy it and claim the money back from Samsung.

I could only find the student link, but it's open to all Samsung customers.

http://www.samsungcashback.com/student/

Edit: "1. You need to have purchased a Samsung qualifying product from Samsung direct or an authorised reseller"
Original post by yahyahyahs
I don't think it does depend what store (you better check) as long as you buy it new, but yeah, you just buy it and claim the money back from Samsung.

I could only find the student link, but it's open to all Samsung customers.

http://www.samsungcashback.com/student/

Edit: "1. You need to have purchased a Samsung qualifying product from Samsung direct or an authorised reseller"

Aye i found it and emailed them to see if they offer cashback on the place where i'm looking at.
Original post by cambo211
Aye i found it and emailed them to see if they offer cashback on the place where i'm looking at.

Cool beans :smile: It's a very nice laptop, saw it today in PC World when I went to pick my Vaio (was gonna get a MacBook until some stupid eBay seller tried to scam me out of my money!).
Are acer laptops good?

is this processor any good -- Intel® Pentium® P6200 Processor how many ghz does it have - Thank You
Hi everyone could anybody point me in the direction of a laptop for around £200-300(max)

All im using it for is internet access, word documents and the image editing program GIMP (and must be able to run wacom bamboo/have a usb port)

I have no idea where to start! and all the laptop jargon confuses me, just wondering if anybody has any advice where to start or if anybody could recomend me one they have which is good, thanks :smile:
Hi :smile:
Can someone please tell me if it is better to have:
Intel® Core™ i3-380M (2.53GHz)
Or
Intel Pentium Dual-Core B940 ( 2.0 GHz)

Which one would be faster?
The one with Dual-Core or the one with moge GHz??
Thnaks
Original post by Nessie162

Original post by Nessie162
Hi :smile:
Can someone please tell me if it is better to have:
Intel® Core™ i3-380M (2.53GHz)
Or
Intel Pentium Dual-Core B940 ( 2.0 GHz)

Which one would be faster?
The one with Dual-Core or the one with moge GHz??
Thnaks

The Core i3 is dual core as well, Intel's processors (not including netbooks) come with dual core as a minimum now. The i3 will perform far better, it's a newer, more efficient build and has the higher clock speed to boot. It's only a first gen i3, however, a second gen would perform better still and with better power management if you could find one (You can tell because it will be called "Core i3-2xxx" rather than i3-3xx) [=
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 833
Thought this would be a good place to mention that Sony now has an education store with a 7% discount for students and teachers https://shop.sony.co.uk/shop/b2c/education.do?shop=SST_GB_EN
Reply 834
Decide which type of configuration you want in your laptop then buy from authorised dealer.
Reply 835
Could someone look at the graphics on this and tell me what sort of games it would be able to cope with? http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Lenov...UK/version.asp

I'm not expecting it to be able to do much.
Reply 836
Original post by sebsnorkel
Reckon they'd be reliable and last? Really need a portable laptop which will last me a long time. Thanks 4 your help

I've had a Lenovo for over 4 years now and it's only just started to show it's age. Unlike my parents laptops, the battery still holds it charge no problem.

On the note of my laptop dieing, can anyone recommend a sub-£500 laptop with dedicated graphics?
I've just ordered this laptop after researching however, as usual, I'm now panicking and having doubts. It was a decision between that one and this HP.

As you can see, both the Sony and HP are now the same price however the HP has an i3 processor, and the Sony has i5. I mainly do word processing and heavy Internet use plus watching videos and downloading, but I also mess around on Photoshop at times which is why I went for the i5 when given a choice. I'm mostly worried because the HP says it was originally supposed to be around £800, while the Sony was £650 (I know these stores only have to charge the higher price for a matter of days to say we're making a saving, so I don't know how much attention to pay to that) but I'm worried now that I've missed something big with the HP and maybe that would have been a better option for me.

From what I can see, the only differences with the HP are a better webcam quality, a fingerprint scanner and a bigger memory (although the Sony has a bigger hard drive).

I'm upgrading from a Dell 1545 Dual Core processor, so I'm guessing both of those will be noticeably better (hopefully?)
Original post by e hine e
I've just ordered this laptop after researching however, as usual, I'm now panicking and having doubts. It was a decision between that one and this HP.

As you can see, both the Sony and HP are now the same price however the HP has an i3 processor, and the Sony has i5. I mainly do word processing and heavy Internet use plus watching videos and downloading, but I also mess around on Photoshop at times which is why I went for the i5 when given a choice. I'm mostly worried because the HP says it was originally supposed to be around £800, while the Sony was £650 (I know these stores only have to charge the higher price for a matter of days to say we're making a saving, so I don't know how much attention to pay to that) but I'm worried now that I've missed something big with the HP and maybe that would have been a better option for me.

From what I can see, the only differences with the HP are a better webcam quality, a fingerprint scanner and a bigger memory (although the Sony has a bigger hard drive).

I'm upgrading from a Dell 1545 Dual Core processor, so I'm guessing both of those will be noticeably better (hopefully?)

It also has an entry level dedicated GPU (And Beats Audio "Technology", but the less said about that the better), which is what's bringing up the price to the same as the Sony. Performance will be better on the computer you've already ordered for the majority of tasks, and will still play nicely with Photoshop as long as you aren't doing anything massively demanding.
Original post by e hine e

I'm guessing it's mainly because the HP has a dedicated graphics card whilst the Sony just uses the one that comes with the processor. From what I know, if you aren't doing 3D work in photoshop then the graphics card shouldn't be much of a problem, it would just be the RAM and processor which matter. Will you be doing much gaming though? If not then the graphics cards don't make a difference, and the Sony should be fine for all your needs.

Latest

Trending

Trending