The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Open University Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1980
You can always complete it as quickly or slowly as you like - but certain modules have an expory date, which is usually 10 years after they stop running.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
inksplodge
so far, it's ok :smile: i have just found it hard to do the work because i keep getting ill! i'm sure i'll be ok soon though :smile: why don't yoiu think you'll be able to do it?

as for full time/part time thing, most places regard OU as part time only. and you still have to complete your module within a set time!

i'm just worried i won't be able to keep up with the workload or it'll be too difficult :s-smilie:
i've looked at the overview on the website and it all looks really interesting though.
annaleize
i'm just worried i won't be able to keep up with the workload or it'll be too difficult :s-smilie:
i've looked at the overview on the website and it all looks really interesting though.

you'll be fine! generally it seems to be one topic a week - eg my second week is cleopatra, and then the next week is dr faustus :smile:
inksplodge
you'll be fine! generally it seems to be one topic a week - eg my second week is cleopatra, and then the next week is dr faustus :smile:

i think i need to just man up and get on with it! and be very strict with myself on keeping up or a little ahead. definitely think il sign up for it when i get a chance! :biggrin:
Hey, how long does it take to get your OU computer username via email? I want to complete the financial stuff so I can get going! :biggrin:
Reply 1985
Hai guys! It's been a while!
course starts tomorrow - i'm glad i technically already did the 'first' week as i've just started 5 days worth of antibiotics for this bug i've picked up! so poorly.

hoping to get back into study as soon as i'm better :biggrin:
Reply 1987
½+½
Hai guys! It's been a while!

Oi! Welcome back Ms 1/2. You've been gone a while. Did you finish up at the OU?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1988
Moggs
Oi! Welcome back Ms 1/2. You've been gone a while. Did you finish up at the OU?

I decided to not continue with the OU because I felt I wanted more lab time with my science. I'm currently studying an Access to Science (Chemistry & Biology) at my local college, and will be applying to study Pharmacy/Pharmacology/Biochemistry at uni for entry next autumn.

How's things educationally with you?
Reply 1989
½+½
I decided to not continue with the OU because I felt I wanted more lab time with my science. I'm currently studying an Access to Science (Chemistry & Biology) at my local college, and will be applying to study Pharmacy/Pharmacology/Biochemistry at uni for entry next autumn.

How's things educationally with you?

Heading in the pharmacist direction by chance? :smile:

Things are pretty good here. I'm buried in OU maths and research for future plans at the moment. I'll be joining you with chem and bio next year though!

I'm contemplating a change in direction towards something I've wanted to do for years now, but I have lots of fact finding left to do. I'm not even sure it'll be possible with my dodgy GCSE's, even with the A-levels and a first from the OU for graduate entry.

We shall see.
Reply 1990
Hi all, hope someone can help me!

I am currently registered with the OU to do B291 in Nov but I also reserved a place on B292 for May 2011. I have been advised by the OU that I will receive funding for both courses but does anyone know do I have to complete another financial support form for B292 or will the funds be allocated automatically? At the min, the course status just says that "Your request to reserve place noted on 30 September 2010; on hold as further information is required."

TIA
Reply 1991
Moggs
Heading in the pharmacist direction by chance? :smile:

Things are pretty good here. I'm buried in OU maths and research for future plans at the moment. I'll be joining you with chem and bio next year though!

I'm contemplating a change in direction towards something I've wanted to do for years now, but I have lots of fact finding left to do. I'm not even sure it'll be possible with my dodgy GCSE's, even with the A-levels and a first from the OU for graduate entry.

We shall see.

Got it in one!

What do you fancy doing?
stok3sy
Hi all, hope someone can help me!

I am currently registered with the OU to do B291 in Nov but I also reserved a place on B292 for May 2011. I have been advised by the OU that I will receive funding for both courses but does anyone know do I have to complete another financial support form for B292 or will the funds be allocated automatically? At the min, the course status just says that "Your request to reserve place noted on 30 September 2010; on hold as further information is required."

TIA

You don't need to fill in another form, I got confused last year, because when I signed up for another course they sent me another finance form. The further information is them looking over your finance forms again. You don't have to do anything until it asks you to register.
Reply 1993
½+½
Got it in one!

What do you fancy doing?

I'm moving in the direction of a 2013 'any degree' graduate med course. Whether that's viable or not though is still in question. Lots of work to do between now and then. I think it's safe to say the chances are slim to none at the moment, though that always seems to be the case at the start of a long term project.
my course officially starts today! scary stuff. and some people have practically halfway into the course already, whaaat?! surely it shouldn't be so... "easy" (for lack of a better word) to get so ahead in a month and a half? lol.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1995
inksplodge
my course officially starts today! scary stuff. and some people have practically halfway into the course already, whaaat?! surely it shouldn't be so... "easy" (for lack of a better word) to get so ahead in a month and a half? lol.

My one starts today as well

Well if it's level 1, then i'd say it's fairly possible that people got so ahead, well because level 1 IS easy for some people :smile:
Reply 1996
Moggs
I'm moving in the direction of a 2013 'any degree' graduate med course. Whether that's viable or not though is still in question. Lots of work to do between now and then. I think it's safe to say the chances are slim to none at the moment, though that always seems to be the case at the start of a long term project.

As in grad medicine? If so, what are your GCSEs like? Any other qualifications besides OU? Have you thought seriously about getting some volunteer or work experience in a clinical setting?

If you didn't mean grad medicine, then completely ignore what I just wrote, and explain yerself! :biggrin:
Reply 1997
½+½
As in grad medicine? If so, what are your GCSEs like? Any other qualifications besides OU? Have you thought seriously about getting some volunteer or work experience in a clinical setting?

If you didn't mean grad medicine, then completely ignore what I just wrote, and explain yerself! :biggrin:

Oh noes! I don't like mentioning it because it's early days. I win evil scowls from medicine people for hinting at my interest. Seeing as this is anonymous though and I can go hide afterwards, here it is;

I do mean grad medicine yep. I'll be picking up chem, bio and maths at A-level soon™, followed by a first at the OU in engineering (which I need for what I'm doing now anyway, otherwise I would have headed for the more obvious choice).

Experience wise, none. I think this is based on on way too many things falling in to place for me to head in that direction yet.

Thought about for: 15 years
Seriously considered actually doing: about 15 days

My sister quit her care job because she got fed up of being beaten up by mental patients though. I'm unsure if that will count.

The main problems at the moment are my string of B's and C's from 1997 GCSE's and the cash I'll need as it'll be my second degree. There's also the graduate entry attempts excluding me from some foundation options. Not that it'll matter, as I'll likely be too old by then anyway. Gotta call it a day and settle down sometime :yes: This all assumes I can get a good first degree and decent A-levels.

2011 will be about laying groundwork for the cash, sorting the A-levels and finishing the L2 OU courses. I'll take it from there if it goes well. If it doesn't, no-one will ever know I considered it :shh:

Any words of wisdom from that little lot? 'Uhoh' won't cut it :biggrin:
I think as long as you have a good degree, GCSEs don't count for much at most places.

Have you considered the Access to Medicine course at the College of West Anglia?
Reply 1999
~ Mandy
I think as long as you have a good degree, GCSEs don't count for much at most places.

Have you considered the Access to Medicine course at the College of West Anglia?

Thanks for the suggestion :smile: I've added it to my list. Lots of options still to explore it seems.

Quick Reply

Latest