Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Open University Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
LFC FAN
You're filling me up with so much excitement about the course. :biggrin:

Nah in all honesty, the course is interesting and I feel more confident about the future as far as understanding finances/pensions goes... it's just because I want to be getting on with my science studies now, and I still have to complete DB123 so it's annoying me a bit.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 381
½+½
Nah in all honesty, the course is interesting and I feel more confident about the future as far as understanding finances/pensions goes... it's just because I want to be getting on with my science studies now, and I still have to complete DB123 so it's annoying me a bit.

That's why I picked it. It would give me that confidence to understand these sorts of things, and given that Accounting is a profession I'm looking at, I had to deal with personal finances of a few people a few months ago, and I looked like an idiot, so hopefully this will help.

The courses crossed over I guess! I see why it's annoying.
Reply 382
Juno
Well, I was working full time (actually over full time, woo 50 hour weeks) so you should be ok

Wow! Isn't the 'maximum' supposed to be 48 hours?
Reply 383
After the discussion on this thread, I decided to set up a home network.

I've got it to work between my dad's computer (XP) and my computer when I boot Ubuntu, but not when I boot Vista. Therefore, Vista is stupid.

My BU130 stuff also came today!

LFC, it's an average. So you can do 50 hours some weeks and a bit less occasionally. Also, if you "agree" to it then it's OK.
Reply 384
I think I'll go for it.

The only problem is that it's a Level 3 course, but it's seems orientated around teamwork, discussing ideas, and I know I'm not the only Level 1 starter to think about attempting it. It's about having a product idea, and then formulating plans like a business.

One of the reviews was from a Level 1 student who was a similar age to me, and he found it extremely challenging, and difficult to contribute amongst older, more business focused people, but it taught him a lot.
I did the ou last year in health and social care and its pretty good, i did it previous years but it got too much and complicated and for some strange reason i forgot to declare it on ucas when i applied for my degree and i also forgot to include the maths components. I couldn't predict what i might get when i applied in december as i was only on my second tma due to problems with start date, small research project and being a bit late with assignments.
LFC FAN
I think I'll go for it.

The only problem is that it's a Level 3 course, but it's seems orientated around teamwork, discussing ideas, and I know I'm not the only Level 1 starter to think about attempting it. It's about having a product idea, and then formulating plans like a business.

One of the reviews was from a Level 1 student who was a similar age to me, and he found it extremely challenging, and difficult to contribute amongst older, more business focused people, but it taught him a lot.

I had a poor experience of a Level 2 teamwork based course earlier this year, but the problem was as it was a compulsory course for the degree, there wasn't a great deal of enthusiasm from most of the team members. But for a level 3 course I should imagine everyone will be a lot more focused and so it should be a good experience (I did learn a lot from the one guy who put a lot of time in).

Level 3 is a big step up from level 1, things are far less 'guided'.
Reply 387
SunburnedCactus
I had a poor experience of a Level 2 teamwork based course earlier this year, but the problem was as it was a compulsory course for the degree, there wasn't a great deal of enthusiasm from most of the team members. But for a level 3 course I should imagine everyone will be a lot more focused and so it should be a good experience (I did learn a lot from the one guy who put a lot of time in).

Level 3 is a big step up from level 1, things are far less 'guided'.

That's interesting to hear that, your Level 2 teamwork. How did you communicate? Day sessions, electronic conferencing, OU forums?

I really like challenges like this, which is what is tempting me, but as you say, it's a big step up.
LFC FAN
That's interesting to hear that, your Level 2 teamwork. How did you communicate? Day sessions, electronic conferencing, OU forums?

I really like challenges like this, which is what is tempting me, but as you say, it's a big step up.

The course was about working in a distributed environment so we never actually got together in person, in fact it would have been pretty difficult anyway given how spread out around the country we were. Most communication was using a special course forum set up for each group, we also had a Wiki that could be edited to post up documents and then revise them and so on. Other than that it was email really.

It would have been better to try and use some more methods like live chat/text over something like Elluminate (provided by the OU) so we could have actual meetings and discussions, but like I say lack of motivation meant it probably would've just been two of us using it. Maybe on your course it would be possible to meet up in person? Depends on geography at the end of the day.

If you're interested in it and ready to put the work in then I'd certainly say take the challenge on. Hard, but rewarding. Hopefully. :wink:
Reply 389
One of the things they provide is electronic conferencing equipment for the course I'm looking at.

So how many people were doing your course?
Reply 390
Juno
After the discussion on this thread, I decided to set up a home network.

I've got it to work between my dad's computer (XP) and my computer when I boot Ubuntu, but not when I boot Vista. Therefore, Vista is stupid.

My BU130 stuff also came today!

LFC, it's an average. So you can do 50 hours some weeks and a bit less occasionally. Also, if you "agree" to it then it's OK.

Woo for ubuntu! Yes, Vista is very stupid :mad:
Reply 391
Lunarsea
Woo for ubuntu! Yes, Vista is very stupid :mad:

I hate all Windows. I always have. Actually, I liked 98. If I could, I would just use Linux in various flavours all the time.
Reply 392
Juno
I hate all Windows. I always have. Actually, I liked 98. If I could, I would just use Linux in various flavours all the time.

I remember inheriting our old family computer when I was somewhere near my teens. It had windows 95 and I used to play monkey island II and solitaire on it... and open the old compuserve software , hoping that by magic, it would connect me to the internet... ignoring the fact that there were no cables to make it happen. Oh the naivety of youth.
Reply 393
½+½
I remember inheriting our old family computer when I was somewhere near my teens. It had windows 95 and I used to play monkey island II and solitaire on it... and open the old compuserve software , hoping that by magic, it would connect me to the internet... ignoring the fact that there were no cables to make it happen. Oh the naivety of youth.

It might have had wireless internet :yep:
Can anyone help me? My main course doesn't start til Febuary but I wanted to start another course in November. I registered the other day for the course starting in November and they have sent me more finance forms, do I need to fill these in or will my finance forms for the other course be enough.
Reply 395
Lunarsea
What did you use in the end?

My brother's old shampoo bottles :biggrin: I wanted something clear and originally I thought I'd use glasses but I realised that the circumference at the top was half an inch different to the circumference at the base, bloody deceptive glasses! So in the end I used the shampoo bottles as they had a flat base (no fluting like water bottles!), straight sides, were the same circumference all the way up to the neck and then I cut the necks off and used one of them for the one that needed a funnel! They're not clear though unfortunately :frown: They're currently sitting outside nicely positioned in the flowerbed so they don't blow over.

I was reading the OU science forums and someone said that when they did it last year they had a baby vole fall in their experiment! :eek: The cat brought a mouse in earlier so that better not end up in mine!
Reply 396
Trimeresurus
I vaguely remember that experiment. Although I clearly remember that I did it in the depths of winter and the large volumes of snow + high winds made it an absolute pain in the backside.

Hopefully there'll be no freak weather to make it a pain in the backside for me! However, I've just remembered that they said that it was going to be windy tomorrow, so I better check them in the morning!
Reply 397
Juno

:five:
Same. I love almost everything about linux. The only issues are that some games still don't work on it and it's a pain to set up if you have wireless (or at least it was with mine, but then I have a rubbish wireless card anyway). But when you do get it working at least the connection doesn't drop out every five minutes. *glares at Windows XP* :hmmm:

LooCee
My brother's old shampoo bottles I wanted something clear and originally I thought I'd use glasses but I realised that the circumference at the top was half an inch different to the circumference at the base, bloody deceptive glasses! So in the end I used the shampoo bottles as they had a flat base (no fluting like water bottles!), straight sides, were the same circumference all the way up to the neck and then I cut the necks off and used one of them for the one that needed a funnel! They're not clear though unfortunately They're currently sitting outside nicely positioned in the flowerbed so they don't blow over.

I was reading the OU science forums and someone said that when they did it last year they had a baby vole fall in their experiment! The cat brought a mouse in earlier so that better not end up in mine!

Poor vole! :frown: Thank you for the information though. I shall start saving my shampoo and conditioner bottles (which are clear and not fluted) for January. :yep:
Reply 398
Just had my first tutorial for S104. Was good... the tutor mentioned the rainwater experiment and explained about significant figures and powered numbered etc...

We did an experiment of measuring the bounce height of ping pong balls. Hardcore physics :wink:
What did people think of DB123, I've just applied for that one.

Quick Reply

Latest