The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Open University Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rele84
Very generic! Lol and believe me, I send emails for a living :wink: I would really try ringing them, its how I got my answers - and finally got a night's sleep! :biggrin:

I'll leave it til the end of the week, then give them a call. Cannot be bothered with it today lol.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 3981
Original post by mayb1day
I'll leave it til the end of the week, then give them a call. Cannot be bothered with it today lol.

Lol I know that feeling! Fingers cross for you! :smile:
Reply 3982
Original post by rele84
Hi, welcome!

I got questioned over being sure I want to Study for 90 points during part of next year: I think so long as you know what you could be committing too, i.e, 30 hours studying a week :s-smilie: and so long as you are happy to do so, then it's your call. But please, check you can commit to 120 points!

I work full time and undertaking 90points from Jan to June 2012 - I've warned my other half that he may not see me for 6 months!

:smile:

Thanks for this. My tutor has already said that she thinks I should do the two and that she's not worried I will have any issues. I'm quite lucky in that although I work full time our setup means I get a lot of time to study. I do have to admit that AA100 has been far less work than I thought it would be but I am aware that L2 is a big step up.

My only worry is that I can't go to any tutorials or day schools so I really have to rely on the online stuff - which for my group for AA100 has been non existent! It's normally just me and one other chap on the online tutorials....
Reply 3983
Original post by Tyrion
Thanks for this. My tutor has already said that she thinks I should do the two and that she's not worried I will have any issues. I'm quite lucky in that although I work full time our setup means I get a lot of time to study. I do have to admit that AA100 has been far less work than I thought it would be but I am aware that L2 is a big step up.

My only worry is that I can't go to any tutorials or day schools so I really have to rely on the online stuff - which for my group for AA100 has been non existent! It's normally just me and one other chap on the online tutorials....

What are the L2s you will be doing? I've found google my best friend when I cant do tutorials :wink:
Reply 3984
Two from A200, A218 and A207. Haven't decided which two yet! Will be doing all three but not sure in what order.

I'm doing my final tweaks to TMA05 at the mo....I've reached that point where words stop making sense.
Reply 3985
Original post by Tyrion
Two from A200, A218 and A207. Haven't decided which two yet! Will be doing all three but not sure in what order.

I'm doing my final tweaks to TMA05 at the mo....I've reached that point where words stop making sense.

I know nothing about those, as I'm focusing on health and social sciences :s-smilie: Would love to do history - maybe for my next one :wink:
Reply 3986
I hate that my l3 courses are 60 pointers and start in Feb! Means I'll have to add another year to the degree, doubt they'd allow me to do 120 points at level 3 in one year.

One year i'll have 60 points @ L3 and 30 points @ L2 starting at the same time.

Can I do courses together if they both have exams? Are exams spread out or only over a few days, how likely are they to clash?

SK320 I can remove (takes my credits over what is required anyways) & SK277 I can change to K272 which has a diff start date.
Reply 3987
Original post by dg2009
I hate that my l3 courses are 60 pointers and start in Feb! Means I'll have to add another year to the degree, doubt they'd allow me to do 120 points at level 3 in one year.

Can I do courses together if they both have exams? Are exams spread out or only over a few days, how likely are they to clash?

SK320 I can remove (takes my credits over what is required anyways) & SK277 I can change to K272 which has a diff start date.

With regards to committing to an L2 and L3 @ 120 credits and the exams, I would speak to either your current tutor, your learner support team or the OU's main helpline - they will be able to point you in an appropriate direction! I've been looking at K272 - let me know what its like!

Just received TMA03 back (for T175) 72%.

I'm happy enough with that considering how little effort I put into it towards the end. I've so little motivation for this module right now. But, the end is in sight and I've now scored enough on my TMAs to know that as long as I get the minimum 40% on the EMA I've passed the module.
Reply 3989
Original post by mayb1day
Just received TMA03 back (for T175) 72%.

I'm happy enough with that considering how little effort I put into it towards the end. I've so little motivation for this module right now. But, the end is in sight and I've now scored enough on my TMAs to know that as long as I get the minimum 40% on the EMA I've passed the module.

Now having my long 3 week wait for TMA 03 results :s-smilie: and our EMA has been released!!! So work to begin on TMA 04 and EMA, but first trying to get my head round quadratic equations :frown: and where do they get the b^2 from :confused:
Reply 3990
Original post by rele84
With regards to committing to an L2 and L3 @ 120 credits and the exams, I would speak to either your current tutor, your learner support team or the OU's main helpline - they will be able to point you in an appropriate direction! I've been looking at K272 - let me know what its like!

Well if I do K272 it won't be till 2013-2014, you'll probably be on it by then. What modules are you looking to do?

My current (but ever changing) list is:

2011-12
K101 (60)
K260 (30)

2012-13
SDK228 (30)
K217 (60)

2013-14
K318 (60)
SK277/K272 (30)

2014-15
K309 (60)
SK320 (maybe) (30)
Reply 3991
Original post by dg2009
Well if I do K272 it won't be till 2013-2014, you'll probably be on it by then. What modules are you looking to do?

I'm currently on the path of an Open DipHE/BSc, however, looking at going on to gain a qual in Criminology with Psycho Studies. Although K272 isnt a module for it, I would still like it as 'extra'. Currently on the MU123 (30 credits) in Oct I start SDK125 (30) (and can't be counted towards the Crim qual), and Jan I start DD101 (60) credits...

Still all up in the air as the criminology is more interest than career related, whereas all my L1s so far will help career wise.... so fingers crossed I'll figure my L2s soon!
Reply 3992
ah I looked at doing Criminology with Psychology but I doubt it would help my career. I did think of post grad in it but the OU have currently stopped that course :frown:

Looked at doing SDK125 but that would mean an extra L1 course and dropping a L2 course - either SK277 or SDK228
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by rele84
Now having my long 3 week wait for TMA 03 results :s-smilie: and our EMA has been released!!! So work to begin on TMA 04 and EMA, but first trying to get my head round quadratic equations :frown: and where do they get the b^2 from :confused:

It sounds like that may be from the quadratic equation? And obviously a quadratic equation is of the form ax^2 + bx + c = 0.
Reply 3994
Original post by Stimulation
It sounds like that may be from the quadratic equation? And obviously a quadratic equation is of the form ax^2 + bx + c = 0.

Its from 'the solutions of a quadratic equation' I can kinda see why its there, but its still making no sense to me :confused:
Reply 3995
Original post by dg2009

Original post by dg2009

Usually exams are held over a 2 week period. I think they keep to a similar sort of schedule, so if you contact them they should be able to tell you how likely a clash is. Or if you google "coursecode exam" you'll probably find someone somewhere has posted the dates online so you can work it out yourself.
Reply 3996
Original post by rele84

Original post by rele84
Its from 'the solutions of a quadratic equation' I can kinda see why its there, but its still making no sense to me :confused:

Do either of these help?
Reply 3997
Original post by Juno
Do either of these help?

No, but thank you Juno! :smile: A friend on FB sent me another link that has kinda got to the root of my query - I'm just looking into the topic a bit 'too' much I think :biggrin:
Reply 3998
Original post by rele84

Original post by rele84
No, but thank you Juno! :smile: A friend on FB sent me another link that has kinda got to the root of my query - I'm just looking into the topic a bit 'too' much I think :biggrin:

That can be a good thing, because you can either just accept stuff or try to understand it. It's easy for tutors to have brainfreezes (I'm not a tutor but often get words wrong, forget them, or just make them up) or for a textbook to have a printing error. So if you try to understand you'll know something is right rather than just blindly accepting it. You'll also be better equipped to tackle slightly different problems as you're not just learning and regurgitating.
Reply 3999
Original post by Juno
That can be a good thing, because you can either just accept stuff or try to understand it. It's easy for tutors to have brainfreezes (I'm not a tutor but often get words wrong, forget them, or just make them up) or for a textbook to have a printing error. So if you try to understand you'll know something is right rather than just blindly accepting it. You'll also be better equipped to tackle slightly different problems as you're not just learning and regurgitating.

Thank you so much!!!! I really mean it, you have just helped to restore some of the confidence I lost from some of the responses I've had about the subject!

Seriously Juno, thank you :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest