The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Open University Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gridiron-Gangster
So I need to supply 3 academic references for my postgraduate applications. Does anyone know how I go about obtaining those? Can OU tutors write references or is it difficult given the circumstances of distance learning etc?

You can get a general academic reference from the OU. You just contact your regional centre and the Student Support Manager will write one based on your performance and contribitions from tutors.

Some tutors will agree to write individual references for you but that's really up to them.

What are you applying for?
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 5061
Original post by Bleak Lemming
Currently seeking inspiration to complete MS221 TMA03 (due in 4th April, but I like to be way ahead cos I'm studying 3 x 30 credit modules).

After battling MST121 Block C (calculus) and then having a month off to do Block 1 of easy T173 (no maths!) I really can't be bothered to go back to battling my way through integration again (no doubt I've already forgotten most of what I learned in MST121)..

My memory seems to be like a sift. I read the books, do the TMA.. get good marks, then forget... Exam in June should be fun :frown:

I thought exactly the same when I was doing MST121. I'd done the TMA's then got them back and wondered what the heck I was talking about. It was a mixture of scary (because it'd be needed later) and frustrating (because of the time it took to get through and seemingly coming out with nothing).

Turns out I was wrong though, and it was sinking in, though it didn't feel like it at the time. For me, the maths usually goes:

1) Read the book, struggle, finally understand, practice, complete the assignment.
2) Get assignment back and realise that I didn't commit anything to memory and get annoyed.
3) Have a quick skim over the book again and notice that actually, most of it did sink in as bits come flooding back. If it took me an hour the first time around, it might take a few minutes and a couple of practice questions for it all to come back.
4) Realise that by doing that, some gaps were filled and what I did remember was reinforced. It's at this point it starts to get stuck long term.

Since realising all of my study seems to follow the above pattern, it's allowed me to relax a bit as I know it's sinking in, even if it doesn't feel like it at the time. What you say certainly sounds very familiar :smile:

Edit - there is form of attempted advice buried in there, it's just verging on incoherence due to coffee.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Moggs
I thought exactly the same when I was doing MST121. I'd done the TMA's then got them back and wondered what the heck I was talking about. It was a mixture of scary (because it'd be needed later) and frustrating (because of the time it took to get through and seemingly coming out with nothing).

Turns out I was wrong though, and it was sinking in, though it didn't feel like it at the time. For me, the maths usually goes:

1) Read the book, struggle, finally understand, practice, complete the assignment.
2) Get assignment back and realise that I didn't commit anything to memory and get annoyed.
3) Have a quick skim over the book again and notice that actually, most of it did sink in as bits come flooding back. If it took me an hour the first time around, it might take a few minutes and a couple of practice questions for it all to come back.
4) Realise that by doing that, some gaps were filled and what I did remember was reinforced. It's at this point it starts to get stuck long term.

Since realising all of my study seems to follow the above pattern, it's allowed me to relax a bit as I know it's sinking in, even if it doesn't feel like it at the time. What you say certainly sounds very familiar :smile:

Edit - there is form of attempted advice buried in there, it's just verging on incoherence due to coffee.

My brother done a physics degree and he's told me pretty much the same thing. I've been told it's pretty much impossible to remember everything you've ever learned, but as long as you understand it to the extent where it comes back to you with a bit of revision (as you said) then it's all good!

If someone came up to me in the street and asked me to find the derivative of sin(cosx)e^arctanx I wouldn't have a clue, but with my trusty 221 handbook I think I'd get by.

The things from Block A seem like a distant memory but I think it will come back to me with a bit of revision before the exam. By the looks of it the exams tend to have similar questions so I'll just need to make sure I know how to answer whats been asked on past exam papers!
My Openings Course material for Understanding Management came in last week. I'm honestly not too sure how much I'm looking forward to this, but I'll at least give it a try :yep:
Reply 5064
Original post by HalfBloodPrincess
I've been asked to submit a dummy eTMA, does anyone know what this really means? Does it have to be about what we're working on? A blank document? A random sentence?

You're just sending something to show your tutor that you know how the system works, and for your tutor to check that they received it ok. So you can submit anything, but make sure it's suitable for other people to read.

So if you want to send what you're working on, that's fine. Or you could write a note saying "Hi tutor, did you get this? Lots of love, HBP".

Don't send a blank document, as your tutor will assume there was meant to be something there and that it hasn't worked.
Original post by Nitebot
The individual course fees for October 2012 starters have not been released yet, however the OU has said that as a general guide 60 point modules will cost £2500, so 30 points should be £1250 and 15 credits £625. 10 and 20 credit modules may vary. Business and law modules have often had a premium added but we don’t know if that will be the case now. Residential/ practical modules usually have a premium as well. For example the L1 science practical residential module costs 3 times more than the home based science practical module. Hope that helps.

Thanks, that helps a lot. Have been having a nose around the website, and the fees are generally similar to what you've posted. Must say If I weren't so poor I'd be interested in a fair few courses :smile:
Original post by AndroidLight
Thanks, that helps a lot. Have been having a nose around the website, and the fees are generally similar to what you've posted. Must say If I weren't so poor I'd be interested in a fair few courses :smile:

You would be able to get a student loan if eligible but I don't really know much about that.
Original post by AndroidLight
The website was a bit confusing really, so was wondering if I could just get a general overview. It's fine though if you're not able to do that if courses etc are varied. Just wondering roughly how much they cost. Not sure what a DSA is also?

DSA = disabled students' allowance.

Yeah the site can be confusing but the costs vary depending on the level you're doing, the number of credits per module etc.

I mean for the 4 units I'm doing I think I paid £3,000 max although not 100% sure but I remember commenting on how it was costing me the same as a year's worth of tuition at a bricks and mortar university. But obviously you're not worrying about accommodation costs or spending all your money on clubbing and cheap beer :tongue:

I wish there were OU sports teams. I'd love to have joined some.
So I need to supply 3 academic references for my postgraduate applications. Does anyone know how I go about obtaining those? Can OU tutors write references or is it difficult given the circumstances of distance learning etc?

Hi,

as already said you ask for a reference via your regional centre. It is very basic, just quotes your courses/modules & grades. I used my Boss as my 2nd reference and that was OK but only needed 2 references for all my applications.

Good Luck!
Woop woop, 97% in my first T173 TMA :biggrin:
I'm struggling with this TMA and it's due by the end of today. It's the final TMA before the EMA and worth 50%. I was hoping to push the boat out to get big marks but left it late again and it really is quite tricky so I'm just putting words to paper and hoping for the best. I'll take a pass atm and hopefully try to make up for losst ground on the remaining tmas and the emas and thee exams. So stressed.
Woop woop, 97% in my first T173 TMA :biggrin:

smarty pants.. What level are you doing?
smarty pants.. What level are you doing?

It was only a level 1 half TMA so nothing to get too excited about, but still happy :smile: gives me a bit of a boost.

I'm struggling with this TMA and it's due by the end of today. It's the final TMA before the EMA and worth 50%. I was hoping to push the boat out to get big marks but left it late again and it really is quite tricky so I'm just putting words to paper and hoping for the best. I'll take a pass atm and hopefully try to make up for losst ground on the remaining tmas and the emas and thee exams. So stressed.

What module is this for / whats the TMA about?
It was only a level 1 half TMA so nothing to get too excited about, but still happy :smile: gives me a bit of a boost.

What module is this for / whats the TMA about?

tma 2 for b629 managing 2: marketing and finace about a budget information problem. It's completely stumped me. I've been sat at my desk for hours and only manage 500 odd words so far. Need to do 1500 words then a portfolio for my activities and also a summary so it's gonna be a long night.
tma 2 for b629 managing 2: marketing and finace about a budget information problem. It's completely stumped me. I've been sat at my desk for hours and only manage 500 odd words so far. Need to do 1500 words then a portfolio for my activities and also a summary so it's gonna be a long night.

Oooh 30 creds at L3 with no exam, the dream!

Wow yeah that is a lot that needs to be done :frown: Managing / Finance isn't my cup of tea.. Just get as much done as you can, anything's better than nothing. Have you just left things too late or been busy with other stuff?
Oooh 30 creds at L3 with no exam, the dream!

Wow yeah that is a lot that needs to be done :frown: Managing / Finance isn't my cup of tea.. Just get as much done as you can, anything's better than nothing. Have you just left things too late or been busy with other stuff?

mixture of both really and I can't ask for an extension.
mixture of both really and I can't ask for an extension.

:frown: Just aim for 40% eh? Better than failing I suppose
:frown: Just aim for 40% eh? Better than failing I suppose

I suppose. :frown:
It now means I effectively need to get 90%+ in all my remaining assignments to guarantee that 2:1 minimum meaning I'd need to really focus on the next assignments in good time and absorb everything like a sponge. After this my next one's due in on the 29th and then the 4th March soo as soon as this one is done I'll get cracking on the next ones.
It now means I effectively need to get 90%+ in all my remaining assignments to guarantee that 2:1 minimum meaning I'd need to really focus on the next assignments in good time and absorb everything like a sponge. After this my next one's due in on the 29th and then the 4th March soo as soon as this one is done I'll get cracking on the next ones.

Get off of here and crack on!

Quick Reply

Latest