The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Open University Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5200
I`ve just done a session with Elluminate today, library introductory course. First time.
Elluminate seems to be a great tool, feels just like being in a classroom.
Is it often used during modules?
The only thing that`s haunting me is, that you`d need to have time at a fixed date, which is kinda hard when working shifts.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Original post by Vorenus
I`ve just done a session with Elluminate today, library introductory course. First time.
Elluminate seems to be a great tool, feels just like being in a classroom.
Is it often used during modules?
The only thing that`s haunting me is, that you`d need to have time at a fixed date, which is kinda hard when working shifts.

On S155 which is an online only course, had elluminate sessions in the evening and repeated in the morning. But still many people couldn't make them.
Do we have anything like ATHENS or an e-library or some method of accessing online journals via OU? It could make all the difference for me getting the top marks in my EMAs.
Original post by Gridiron-Gangster
Do we have anything like ATHENS or an e-library or some method of accessing online journals via OU? It could make all the difference for me getting the top marks in my EMAs.

The OU's librarians would be so hurt!! :biggrin: Goto Student Home and you should see a link in the left hand column under Services, stating 'Library Services.' Massive searchable database.

The OU will normally introduce its library during Level 1 and put activities in the texts and questions in the TMAs that require you to search for library articles and so get familiar with it. If you're doing an L3 course it's taken as read that you'll be very familiar with the library, so it might not even be mentioned during your course. Bad news if you've done a credit transfer. I think it's mentioned in the course guide though.

Having said all that it could do with more publicity because I wonder how may use it when not specifically told to.
Got some more TMA marks today and yesterday. Got 70/100 in TMA 3 for B322 and 76/100 for TMA 2 in B629.

I've done a bit of reading and it would seem unless you averag a first in your TMAs you can't get a first overall even if you got a 100% in the final EMA/Exam.

So if my calculations are correct it seems that:

Module B625: TMA 1: 64 TMA 2: 48 TMA 3: N/A EXAM: N/A (If I got 100% in TMA 3 and 100% in the Exam then the most I could get is a pass with merit which is a 2:1 right?)

Module B628: TMA 1: 77 TMA 2: 76 EMA: N/A (The maximum I can get is a grade 2 or 2:1 even if score 100% so a 70% minimum would safely see me through?)

Module B629: TMA 1: 68 TMA 2: 52 EMA: N/A (Even if I score 100% in the EMA the highest I will get is a grade 3 aka 2:2 unless I am given special dispensation for my health issues for TMA 1?)

Module B322: TMA 1: 70 TMA 2: 70 TMA 3: 70 (yes there's a pattern emerging here!) EMA: N/A (the highest I can get is a 2:1 aka grade 2 even if I got 100% meaning a 70% minimum would see me through).

So if my calculations are correct then the maximum possible is 2, 2, 3, 2 which would give me the 2:1 I need right when everything is weighted?
Reply 5205
Got some more TMA marks today and yesterday. Got 70/100 in TMA 3 for B322 and 76/100 for TMA 2 in B629.

I've done a bit of reading and it would seem unless you averag a first in your TMAs you can't get a first overall even if you got a 100% in the final EMA/Exam.

So if my calculations are correct it seems that:

Module B625: TMA 1: 64 TMA 2: 48 TMA 3: N/A EXAM: N/A (If I got 100% in TMA 3 and 100% in the Exam then the most I could get is a pass with merit which is a 2:1 right?)

Module B628: TMA 1: 77 TMA 2: 76 EMA: N/A (The maximum I can get is a grade 2 or 2:1 even if score 100% so a 70% minimum would safely see me through?)

Module B629: TMA 1: 68 TMA 2: 52 EMA: N/A (Even if I score 100% in the EMA the highest I will get is a grade 3 aka 2:2 unless I am given special dispensation for my health issues for TMA 1?)

Module B322: TMA 1: 70 TMA 2: 70 TMA 3: 70 (yes there's a pattern emerging here!) EMA: N/A (the highest I can get is a 2:1 aka grade 2 even if I got 100% meaning a 70% minimum would see me through).

So if my calculations are correct then the maximum possible is 2, 2, 3, 2 which would give me the 2:1 I need right when everything is weighted?

Your overall module mark is whichever is lower of OCAS and OES - so your average assignment mark and your exam mark. You don't add the 2 together and divide by 2.

So if you get avarage 50 for OCAS (assignment mark) and 90 for OES (exam score) your module mark is 50 - the lower score.

They can in some circumstances change grades, so if you really did get 50 and 90 you might get a higher grade but don't count on it.
Original post by Tamise
Have you looked at the policy docs?

Given your classification will come from 120 points of L3s, you need at mast 600 weighted points to get a 2:1 and at most 430 for a 1st. Points for each course depend on the grade you get and the level of the course and the credit points.

As you're doing all 30 point L3s (I think), it works out as:

Grade 1: 60
Grade 2: 120
Grade 3: 180
Grade 4: 240

For 60 pointers it would be double that per course. Depending on the degree certain course must be counted and if you have more than 120 points at L3 generally the better ones count.

There's also a double check in that your best 60 L3 credits must match the standard of honours degree you will be awarded, so to get a 1st you must have 60 credits at distinction level in L3s and to get a 2:1 you must have between 61 and 120 grade credits (which is 122-240 weighted grade credits).

Basically, for a first you need at worst two Grade 1s, one Grade 2 and one Grade 3. For a 2:1 you need at worst three Grade 2s and one Grade 4 or two Grade 2s and two Grade 3s.
Don't trust me working out of it though - go look at the docs!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed this is right. I guess I know the target so best get cracking.
Original post by Juno
Your overall module mark is whichever is lower of OCAS and OES - so your average assignment mark and your exam mark. You don't add the 2 together and divide by 2.

So if you get avarage 50 for OCAS (assignment mark) and 90 for OES (exam score) your module mark is 50 - the lower score.

They can in some circumstances change grades, so if you really did get 50 and 90 you might get a higher grade but don't count on it.

So whatever is the average of the OCAS is the highest grade you can get overall regardless of getting 100% in the exam?

I still have one more TMA to go in B625 and the exam so if I do well in TMA 3 and then blitz the exam then I can make my passage to a 2:1 minimum a little bit more navigable.
Reply 5208
So whatever is the average of the OCAS is the highest grade you can get overall regardless of getting 100% in the exam?

I still have one more TMA to go in B625 and the exam so if I do well in TMA 3 and then blitz the exam then I can make my passage to a 2:1 minimum a little bit more navigable.

Yup :sadnod: Unless they think that you deserve higher for whatever reason.

Which is good if, like me, you manage to get exactly 55 on both OCAS and OES. Grade 3 pass, yay!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Juno
Yup :sadnod: Unless they think that you deserve higher for whatever reason.

Which is good if, like me, you manage to get exactly 55 on both OCAS and OES. Grade 3 pass, yay!

So I guess a first is long gone. Still at least a 2:1 is well within my grasp. I just got a new car so perhaps I'll go to the library and study or perhaps even rent a cottage up in the Highlands and stay there for a few weeks and study. The fresh Scottish air should do me some good. That is aslon as I don't supplement it with Whisky hehe!
WOOOO HOOO!!!! OMG

Just been having a look at the TXR120 module to see when I can register for 2013 and noticed someone has dropped out for this year and managed to get on the residential for august :biggrin:!!!!!! Woop woop, £620 I wasn't expecting to have to spend like, and I haven't got the time off work but I'm sure that can be sorted..?
Another assignment finished and submitted - TMA03 for DB123. I actually really enjoyed writing the essay, all about pensions and individual risk. Am hoping for at least 74%, which is the minimum I need to be in with a chance of a distinction for the module. Now just the EMA to go, for May, then onto my next two courses.

I'd like to do DB234 but it's a 30-credit L2 module and there are no other 30-credit L2 modules I want to do, so I don't think it's going to fit in with my Open degree :frown: Anyone else had the same predicament?
I had my first tutorial this week, and my tutor told me to complete my Learning Plan and submit it to her electronically. I've looked on the website but I don't really understand how to :s-smilie:. Am I supposed to scan my written sheet to send it online, or just make a Learning Plan on a computer program to send it?

Someone help me please :puppyeyes:
Reply 5213
Original post by jellyellie

I'd like to do DB234 but it's a 30-credit L2 module and there are no other 30-credit L2 modules I want to do, so I don't think it's going to fit in with my Open degree :frown: Anyone else had the same predicament?

I`ve been thinking about that.
I`m going to start A 182 in April (my first module with the OU) and then I`ll start AA 100 in October, which will lead me to a BA in English Literature.

A182 seems to be really interesting and I cherish the opportunity to gather some experience with the OU right now, before starting the 60 pointer(s), but I`m kinda at loss at the same time, how to complete my vocational L1 modules?!

With A 182 and AA 100 and propably "Voices and texts" (30 points), I`ll still need to do another 15 point short course, but I don`t really know which to choose, for there aren`t that many (I think it`s really only two) 15 pointers in Arts&Humanities... :confused:
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
I had my first tutorial this week, and my tutor told me to complete my Learning Plan and submit it to her electronically. I've looked on the website but I don't really understand how to :s-smilie:. Am I supposed to scan my written sheet to send it online, or just make a Learning Plan on a computer program to send it?

Someone help me please :puppyeyes:

Should be an electronic version, but if not, and you can do so, then just scan a written version in..
Original post by Bleak Lemming
WOOOO HOOO!!!! OMG

Just been having a look at the TXR120 module to see when I can register for 2013 and noticed someone has dropped out for this year and managed to get on the residential for august :biggrin:!!!!!! Woop woop, £620 I wasn't expecting to have to spend like, and I haven't got the time off work but I'm sure that can be sorted..?

Well done, it appears to be a sod to get on them at the moment, i'll be poised at the beginning of august for the 2013 starts for txr220 as its booked then!
Original post by bufferz
Well done, it appears to be a sod to get on them at the moment, i'll be poised at the beginning of august for the 2013 starts for txr220 as its booked then!

I may well meet you there :biggrin: think Moggs is trying to get onto this one too!
Original post by bufferz

The OU is phasing out the compulsory residential schools it seems. After this summer, there will be no L1 science residential school option. They were always popular but the costs to the OU were still too much apparently. At L2, you'll have an option of doing online home experiments (did that with S155) or a residential school. Hard to see how you can do serious L2 science at home without lab kit. Engineering might well go the same way.
Original post by Nitebot
The OU is phasing out the compulsory residential schools it seems. After this summer, there will be no L1 science residential school option. They were always popular but the costs to the OU were still too much apparently. At L2, you'll have an option of doing online home experiments (did that with S155) or a residential school. Hard to see how you can do serious L2 science at home without lab kit. Engineering might well go the same way.

Can't see how they will do this with engineering if they want to stay accredited by IMechE and the other institute! Think TXR220 is still due to be here for a couple of years so as long as I get on a course I'll be happy ;D
Original post by Bleak Lemming
Can't see how they will do this with engineering if they want to stay accredited by IMechE and the other institute! Think TXR220 is still due to be here for a couple of years so as long as I get on a course I'll be happy ;D

I don't think the Institute of Physics or Royal Astronomical Society require any residential modules so it's not a problem in the physical sciences. But biologists and the chemists and the like may need to seek out their own lab time.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest