Reply 580
Moggs
Well, as long as you're not sending your tutor smatterings with your TMA :p:

No, not to worry. It's all done one computer now. :biggrin:
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
h82think
Plus, for any degree you have to do one residential school, so I'd change one of the 10 point courses for a residential course.

Not true, BSc Computing doesn't involve one and I don't think it's the only one.
Reply 582
Bleurgh, just come here to say that Book 2 of Exploring science has reminded me how much I hate rocks. I am definitely never going to be a geologist. I remember that at school the only good bit about doing earthquakes was getting to go on the Kosovo earthquake simulator at the Natural History Museum over and over again! And I only did that because the school wouldn't let us look in any of the rest of the museum! Anyway, rant over. I'm coming up to chapter 11 now which I think is more spacey stuff so hopefully that won't be as tedious!
Reply 583
LooCee
Bleurgh, just come here to say that Book 2 of Exploring science has reminded me how much I hate rocks. I am definitely never going to be a geologist. I remember that at school the only good bit about doing earthquakes was getting to go on the Kosovo earthquake simulator at the Natural History Museum over and over again! And I only did that because the school wouldn't let us look in any of the rest of the museum! Anyway, rant over. I'm coming up to chapter 11 now which I think is more spacey stuff so hopefully that won't be as tedious!

I find the actual rocks part of it really interesting. I don't find working out gradients and rates interesting. I took my first look at TMA2 last night, seems a lot more intense that the last. Wish I had my mark back for the last one, it's really annoying me. Tutor taking ages.... :woo: :mad:
Reply 584
½+½
I find the actual rocks part of it really interesting. I don't find working out gradients and rates interesting. I took my first look at TMA2 last night, seems a lot more intense that the last. Wish I had my mark back for the last one, it's really annoying me. Tutor taking ages.... :woo: :mad:

Seems to be a similar case for students on S154. A few students have posted on the course forums asking if people had their marks back yet. I had mine back the day after the deadline, but then my tutor is a legend. :biggrin:

How are you guys finding S104 overall so far?
Reply 585
Lunarsea
Seems to be a similar case for students on S154. A few students have posted on the course forums asking if people had their marks back yet. I had mine back the day after the deadline, but then my tutor is a legend. :biggrin:

Yeah it's good, getting more and more intense though. I've missed out a load of the computer activities - the book explains the results anyway. Otherwise I would be majorly behind. I've got new things going on in my personal life aswell so it's a bit of a balancing act, but I'm enjoying it.

How about you?:smile:
Reply 586
Lunarsea

1/2+1/2 - It's all horses for courses isn't it :smile:

I got my TMA back really quickly but I submitted it quite early, I think my tutor is making quite slow progress with marking the rest!

S104 is good so far, I'm enjoying it, just not a big fan of rocks :wink: It is quite intense, you have to make yourself keep working or you could get behind quite quickly. I have found that they do seem to massively over estimate on how long activities should take though! The other day I did an activity which it said should take me an hour, but it only took me about 15 minutes! I've been trying a new approach with the iCMA and TMA this time round and completing the relevant questions as I go along and I'm finding that easier, I feel like I'm making good progress that way, but I guess we'll see how my marks are!
Reply 587
LooCee
1/2+1/2 - It's all horses for courses isn't it :smile:

I got my TMA back really quickly but I submitted it quite early, I think my tutor is making quite slow progress with marking the rest!

S104 is good so far, I'm enjoying it, just not a big fan of rocks :wink: It is quite intense, you have to make yourself keep working or you could get behind quite quickly. I have found that they do seem to massively over estimate on how long activities should take though! The other day I did an activity which it said should take me an hour, but it only took me about 15 minutes! I've been trying a new approach with the iCMA and TMA this time round and completing the relevant questions as I go along and I'm finding that easier, I feel like I'm making good progress that way, but I guess we'll see how my marks are!

We were recommended to do that by our tutor! It's nice to not have the last minute deadline rush.
I am having a day of studying tomorrow. I really need to find the time to do it on a regular bases rather than just doing an odd 5 minutes here and there. Does anyone else have this problem?
Reply 589
I'm glad you're both enjoying it. :smile:

½+½
Yeah it's good, getting more and more intense though. I've missed out a load of the computer activities - the book explains the results anyway. Otherwise I would be majorly behind. I've got new things going on in my personal life aswell so it's a bit of a balancing act, but I'm enjoying it.

How about you?:smile:

I don't start S104 until february, just wanted to find out what it was like. S154 is fun, although rather basic. I've not done much in the way of actual science. There's been a lot of maths, study skills, learning to read illustrations and graphs etc. I got to do an experiment to calculate the water content of potatoes, which is more fun than it sounds. :smile:

LooCee

I've been trying a new approach with the iCMA and TMA this time round and completing the relevant questions as I go along and I'm finding that easier, I feel like I'm making good progress that way, but I guess we'll see how my marks are!

I submitted mine early too this time. I'm usually a "last minute" type of person
but it was very nice to sit back and not have to panic about it.

I'm going to try doing TMAs and CMAs as I go along too. See if that works for me better than doing them in the space of a week.
Reply 590
I got my first TMA back today - deadline was 5th November so that was quick! I got 71% which I'm fairly happy with but annoyed at some of the places I lost marks...it was for T175 and one of the questions discussed our study timetable, which I don't use and never will so what I did write was totally made up and irrelevant anyway, haha. Lost marks on stuff like not including specific times and stuff like that...I think it's a bit unfair that it was assumed everyone will create a detailed study plan and have exact times when they'll study. Oh well, I guess it was meant to be a basic one to start everyone off, the next TMA looks much better :biggrin:
Kate.
I got 71%

Congratulations :smile:
twinkle.twinkle
I am having a day of studying tomorrow. I really need to find the time to do it on a regular bases rather than just doing an odd 5 minutes here and there. Does anyone else have this problem?

Yes, I have a chaotic approach to study i.e. I do it when I feel like it, or when a deadline begins to loom! I've made countless attempts over this last four years to be more organised, but they never seem to last. Still, one of the great things about being an OU student is that you can organise your study to suit yourself :wink:
Kate.
I got my first TMA back today - deadline was 5th November so that was quick! I got 71% which I'm fairly happy with but annoyed at some of the places I lost marks...it was for T175 and one of the questions discussed our study timetable, which I don't use and never will so what I did write was totally made up and irrelevant anyway, haha. Lost marks on stuff like not including specific times and stuff like that...I think it's a bit unfair that it was assumed everyone will create a detailed study plan and have exact times when they'll study. Oh well, I guess it was meant to be a basic one to start everyone off, the next TMA looks much better :biggrin:

I had that problem with the study timetable stuff as well, apparently you have to be very detailed in your bluffing!
Reply 594
SunburnedCactus
I had that problem with the study timetable stuff as well, apparently you have to be very detailed in your bluffing!

I know! I'm pretty sure most people don't set incredibly specific times to do their work and have emergency plans just in case it doesn't go ahead at that exact time, haha. Mad.

& thanks, h82think :smile:

I want time to go fasterrrrr so I can jump to next year, I'm much more interested in the courses I have planned after level 1.
Reply 595
It's been a couple of days so how's everyone getting on? :smile:
Having a serious motivation trough here: it always seems to take me 3 months to get into a course :/
Lunarsea
It's been a couple of days so how's everyone getting on? :smile:

I am determined today to finish my TMA for A176! I will not sleep until it is done!!!

How about you?
Reply 598
I have a chapter to finish on my lunch and then I'm officially ahead for the week, which means I can have fun!

Got my second tutorial tomorrow, should be cool. I've got some rocks to take in for it. Geogeek.
Reply 599
h82think
I am determined today to finish my TMA for A176! I will not sleep until it is done!!!

How about you?

Ah I've been doing almost nothing but sleep. Being ill is wearing me down so I just feel tired and incapable of concentrating on anything. Really must attempt to get into doing some work today but I suspect I may as well not bother. :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest