The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Open University Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nitebot
That's a new one on me!! :smile:

It's a new course feel I'm gunna fail it lol.

Officially registered for A215 - Creative Writing :biggrin: eek the assignments are so far apart :biggrin:
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Original post by Spinnerette

Officially registered for A215 - Creative Writing :biggrin: eek the assignments are so far apart :biggrin:

New courses can be good as the OU usually screws something major up and then has to pass everyone who half tried with it.

The person I know who's doing it reckons that because it's new, they haven't really figured out what they want from people doing the assignments...

She and I are both doing A215 next year too! (Not specially looking forward to handing in a TMA on 3rd January.)
Original post by Persipan
The person I know who's doing it reckons that because it's new, they haven't really figured out what they want from people doing the assignments...

She and I are both doing A215 next year too! (Not specially looking forward to handing in a TMA on 3rd January.)

Ooh that's wicked! I don't mind about that my assignment for a230 tma 02 was Dec 15 and Tma 03 I had an extension as it was due end of January so I gave it in on 2nd of February.

That's probably it I'll just mull around the 60s for this course then I don't mind getting pass 3 or 4 if the module is just not going well for me. I'll do the best I can and hope for the best.
I don't mind about that my assignment for a230 tma 02 was Dec 15 and Tma 03 I had an extension as it was due end of January so I gave it in on 2nd of February.

I'm possibly particularly irked 'cos my birthday's the 4th January, which to be fair isn't something most people will need to factor in!
I'm possibly particularly irked 'cos my birthday's the 4th January, which to be fair isn't something most people will need to factor in!

Aww well the deadline is before so you won't have to study or write on your birthday :P

Looks like I've had a change in tutors for U214 I wonder why?

Looks like I've had a change in tutors for U214 I wonder why?

Hmm. Might be worth telling the new tutor you've been finding the module a struggle and asking how s/he expects things to be presented for the TMAs - it'd be really annoying to do things the way the previous tutor wanted and then have this one say to do it differently!
Hmm. Might be worth telling the new tutor you've been finding the module a struggle and asking how s/he expects things to be presented for the TMAs - it'd be really annoying to do things the way the previous tutor wanted and then have this one say to do it differently!

Yea I emailed him an introduction, so just waiting for a reply or for him to mass email everyone now. So once the intros are out of the way I will discuss with him previous tutor comments. I hope my previous teacher is ok she had a PHD in the study of English Language and immensely knowledgeable on everything, maybe it was too much work on top of her other things.
Don't know if you OU maths guys/girls know about this but found it other day, past exam papers.

here
Reply 5989
Original post by sputum
M338 TMA3 finished in lunch hour and posted, probably going to need a humongous score for TMA4 to keep the distinction dream alive until exam day. Should have done better but procrastinating with other maths is still kinda procrastinating:biggrin: truckloads of time after Friday

Turns out I got my first ever maximum:smile: TMA4 score needed for an OCAS of 85%+... 52

ez game
Original post by SubAtomic
Don't know if you OU maths guys/girls know about this but found it other day, past exam papers.

here

I like how there are answers with those exam papers. :smile:
Original post by Piko_Piko
I like how there are answers with those exam papers. :smile:

The answers seem quite concise, thought we had to waffle on a bit in our TMAs to break certain page number thresholds:biggrin:
hey there everybody. just to let you know I got.....a 2:1!!!! Just only just though.

Overall I got 2,2,3,4 and according to the Qualifications centre who calculated my final classification it came out as a 2:1.

I'm chuffed as I was fearing and I think a lot of people on here were fearing that I'd end up with a third or not pass. TBH it's been such a brutal 6 months with the OU but I'm so glad to have got it over and done with and the result I needed overall.

So you see it can be done 120 credits in a year but I don't recommend it for the faint-hearted. I guess now I need to sort out a graduation ceremony date and my postgrad stuff.

Anyways my friends it seems that this will very much be my last act here on the OU forum and for a while at least on TSR as I now have a summer of work, postgrad stuff and other stuff to contend with.

It's been a pleasure chatting to you regularly and I really do wish you all the best with your future endeavours.

Take care. Good night and good luck.

Yours truly,
Gridiron Gangster BA/BSc (Open). :wink:
Reply 5993
hi
how are you all
I'm a doctor in AOU
it is a branch from OU in Saudi arabia Jeddah
can you plz send me power point or tutorials for T215
it is very important
thanks a lot
alaa
Reply 5994
Hello,
I am thinking of doing an undergraduate computing course from OU. I had initially applied for English at university but changed my mind at the last minute because I didn't want to spend 3 years on graduation then 2 more years on post-graduation and so on.
What I wanted to ask is that I skimmed through the prospectus and it says that on average it takes 3 years to complete an undergraduation degree but I was wondering if it is possible to complete it within 2 years. Any suggestions/advice would be really appreciated :smile:
Original post by Gridiron-Gangster
hey there everybody. just to let you know I got.....a 2:1!!!!

Congratulations! I had everything crossed for you. Enjoy the cufflinks!
Original post by Palv
Hello,
I am thinking of doing an undergraduate computing course from OU. I had initially applied for English at university but changed my mind at the last minute because I didn't want to spend 3 years on graduation then 2 more years on post-graduation and so on.
What I wanted to ask is that I skimmed through the prospectus and it says that on average it takes 3 years to complete an undergraduation degree but I was wondering if it is possible to complete it within 2 years. Any suggestions/advice would be really appreciated :smile:

Many (if not most) people studying with the OU do so part-time, combining study with work, family life, and whatever else, so I'd say that in fact most people are going at a slower pace (taking parhaps six years to complete a degree). It's perfectly possible to study full-time, but as you've noticed, this would normally be a 3-year thing, more or less.

Thinking practically, I'm not sure whether 2 years would be workable under the new (Q degrees) regulations (if it ever would have), in that you're now expected to do 60 credits of Level 1 before you can go on to Level 2, whereas in order to finish in 2 years you'd need to get 180 credits out of the way per year. The other thing that makes things tricky is that the OU seem to be moving towards starting most modules in October, whereas in order to fit a lot in, it'd be easier to have staggered starts. Also, bear in mind that in order to get the most out of some modules, you need to have completed other prerequesite modules first. I suppose it depends on what modules you'd want/need to do, when they start, and so on. Might be worth asking the OU but I suspect that at the very least they would strongly discourage this. There are rules about how much they'll let you do at a time (they generally don't like people going over 120 credits but can sometimes be persuaded to a bit more).

Also, at the end of the day, which would you rather - a good result that took you three years, or a lower one in two?
Congratulations! I had everything crossed for you. Enjoy the cufflinks!

haha almost forgot about those! but yeah thanks very much. I'm just glad it's over and done with now.
Original post by Gridiron-Gangster
hey there everybody. just to let you know I got.....a 2:1!!!! Just only just though.

Overall I got 2,2,3,4 and according to the Qualifications centre who calculated my final classification it came out as a 2:1.

I'm chuffed as I was fearing and I think a lot of people on here were fearing that I'd end up with a third or not pass. TBH it's been such a brutal 6 months with the OU but I'm so glad to have got it over and done with and the result I needed overall.

So you see it can be done 120 credits in a year but I don't recommend it for the faint-hearted. I guess now I need to sort out a graduation ceremony date and my postgrad stuff.

Anyways my friends it seems that this will very much be my last act here on the OU forum and for a while at least on TSR as I now have a summer of work, postgrad stuff and other stuff to contend with.

It's been a pleasure chatting to you regularly and I really do wish you all the best with your future endeavours.

Take care. Good night and good luck.

Yours truly,
Gridiron Gangster BA/BSc (Open). :wink:

Well done GG!! :biggrin: Postgrad studies await. Good luck for the future!! :smile:
Original post by Nitebot
Well done GG!! :biggrin: Postgrad studies await. Good luck for the future!! :smile:

Thanks although PG studies might be on hold for a few months or so as there's been a few "personal developments" on my end meaning I might have to stick around in the UK a little bit longer. But until i resume studies again I'll be working and earning money. Feel like celebrating alas nobody to celebrate with here in Manchester....all by my lonesome :frown:

Oh well when I have a drink I'll be thinking of you guys.

Also believe it or not I may be tempted to do some extra studying with the OU.....basically If complete another 10 credit Management module I get the additional management certificate/fundraising certificate which wouldn't be a bad addition to the portfolio.

As it's 10 credits I could easily slot that in with something else e.g. pg studies, work etc no problems and there wouldn't be the pressure of needing grade 1 or 2 etc, just pass and get the additional qualification. That's what my tutor mentioned to me so I'll think about it....money might be a factor there.

Either the bitch has been put on ice i.e. the 120 credits lol and that's done and dusted.

I'm going to miss all this :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest