The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Open University Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by addylad
Apparently it's got some stuff about heat transfer and prepares you for fluid mechanics?

Yes, lots of things using vector calculus and partial differential equations.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Ah the old forum, how I miss thee.
Original post by addylad
Thanks for the advice! The most important thing for me is preparation as I'll be studying chemical engineering soon. Apparently it's got some stuff about heat transfer and prepares you for fluid mechanics? Those are the two main things for me (oh and the more complicated calculus).

So would you say the actual content is difficult or is it just a heavy workload? Also how many hours did you have to put in?

Yeah the heat transfer block is actually optional these days, so I didn't study it.

It's hard to tell how much time I put in cos I procrastinate quite a bit. Probably about 7-10 hours per week?
Original post by Bleak Lemming
Yeah the heat transfer block is actually optional these days, so I didn't study it.

It's hard to tell how much time I put in cos I procrastinate quite a bit. Probably about 7-10 hours per week?

That's surprisingly little - do you have a flair for maths? :smile:

I used to be good at maths... got A* at GCSE in year 10 and then did an FSMQ in year 11 and got an A. Should've pursued it, feels like everyone I know is light-years ahead of me! :P
Hey

I am looking for people who have already studied DD309 who might be happy to give me an idea of what the TMA questions are like? Can anyone help?

Cheers
Heather
Hey guys, thought I'd join in with the chat!

I'm starting with the OU in February, doing the Health and Social Care degree (Healthcare and Health Science pathway). Kinda freaking out a little about the science-based stuff because my last experience of Science was at GCSE and I only got C's! But I really have an interest now so hoping for the best haha.

Does anyone else find the timing of modules really frustrating? I really want to do my degree in 3 years (not working due to ill health so plenty of free time) but the only way that kind happen is if I were to do 90 credits at once at times and I really don't know if that's feasible!
Original post by Rowanonfire
Hey guys, thought I'd join in with the chat!

I'm starting with the OU in February, doing the Health and Social Care degree (Healthcare and Health Science pathway). Kinda freaking out a little about the science-based stuff because my last experience of Science was at GCSE and I only got C's! But I really have an interest now so hoping for the best haha.

Does anyone else find the timing of modules really frustrating? I really want to do my degree in 3 years (not working due to ill health so plenty of free time) but the only way that kind happen is if I were to do 90 credits at once at times and I really don't know if that's feasible!

Hey and welcome..

To do your degree in 3 years that would equate to 120 credits per year... 90 would mean you complete it 4 years...

Don't worry about the "science" stuff you will do better than you expect.. I had C's at GCSE and I am now obtaining distinction (I'm doing biology and chemistry, and I'm at level 3)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kjglen24
Hey and welcome..

To do your degree in 3 years that would equate to 120 credits per year... 90 would mean you complete it 4 years...

Don't worry about the "science" stuff you will do better than you expect.. I had C's at GCSE and I am now obtaining distinction (I'm doing biology and chemistry, and I'm at level 3)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I know...Overlap with some modules would mean I will be studying 90 credits at one point in the the year. Then another 30. It's all very frustrating. xD Not even going to think about it now until I get my first module out of the way. :P

Hope I do do better then I think! Honestly thinking back on my GCSE experience I think it was more lack of making an effort then lack of ability so things should go better now!
Has anyone got five minutes to do me a favour? I need to do some user research for T217 and it would be massively helpful if anyone's got five minutes to fill in a survey for me.

It's about where you store your kitchen utensils, which I appreciate isn't desperately exciting, but I promise it's quick and it would be much appreciated...
Very exciting..... What you studying

I am studying an introduction to health and social care, really enjoying it!
Reply 7990
Hi everyone - I am starting the Business foundation degree in February. Is anyone else doing this? I also have a full time job, any tips on how to juggle both? How many hours a week do you suggest on studying?

Original post by Turner94
I also have a full time job, any tips on how to juggle both? How many hours a week do you suggest on studying?

Well, I'm not doing Business, but my advice would be to make sure you know when your TMAs (assignments) are due in, and exactly what you need to do for them. If you find there's any juggling to be done, the stuff to concentrate on is the stuff you get assessed on!

You'll probably find that the module materials suggest how much time to spend on each activity - you may find (especially at Level 1) that it doesn't take anywhere near as long as they suggest, though.
Original post by Persipan
Has anyone got five minutes to do me a favour? I need to do some user research for T217 and it would be massively helpful if anyone's got five minutes to fill in a survey for me.

It's about where you store your kitchen utensils, which I appreciate isn't desperately exciting, but I promise it's quick and it would be much appreciated...

Done :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Done :-)

Thanks! (I'd rep you but apparently I've done it too recently...)
That's ok Hun!! Good luck with your module

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks! It's the TMA that never ends - it lulls you into a false sense of security by not having to be in for ages, but you have to produce 400 words on identifying the product area you want to work on AND at least two different kinds of user research AND a user profile AND a user persona AND a 300-word design brief AND generating at least eight different ideas for a solution AND 400 words on the methods you used to generate the ideas AND shortlisting the three best ones AND 300 words on which one you’ve chosen to develop AND using at least two approaches to develop your concept design AND 500 words describing the concept design AND sketches/CAD/models. Plus additional sketches and photos throughout the whole thing...
Thanks! It's the TMA that never ends - it lulls you into a false sense of security by not having to be in for ages, but you have to produce 400 words on identifying the product area you want to work on AND at least two different kinds of user research AND a user profile AND a user persona AND a 300-word design brief AND generating at least eight different ideas for a solution AND 400 words on the methods you used to generate the ideas AND shortlisting the three best ones AND 300 words on which one you’ve chosen to develop AND using at least two approaches to develop your concept design AND 500 words describing the concept design AND sketches/CAD/models. Plus additional sketches and photos throughout the whole thing...

Couldn't think of anything worse!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks! (I'd rep you but apparently I've done it too recently...)

Done too. :smile:
T397 TMA 2 - Part 2 is a biattchh! Anybody else doing it?
Package for my next module in February arrived yesterday , it only has one textbook but its quite a thick one :/ , oh its DSE141 before I forget to mention

Quick Reply

Latest