Scroll to see replies

Come on yodel I have spent all day waiting for my books to arrive hurry up

Posted from TSR Mobile
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 8701
Original post by dg2009
So my 2nd module material has been sent out and due to 2 days, they said that with the last lot and it came the next day.

Anyone elses module wedistes already open? Neither of mine open till 24th but I'm hearing loads have already opened with the same start date as me - 4th October.
Mine opens on the 23rd, I'm so impatient!
Reply 8702
Original post by Zogian
Hey all!
For those that have done a module before I was just wondering how you write notes for them? I'm starting my final year this year but am hoping to get my grade up - I just struggle with wondering how to write any notes at all? Any tips would be great :smile:
One of the websites opened yesterday so I've been printing off assignment booklets and downloading OU books onto my kindle to read on journeys and that

Previously I've written very few notes and hoped that by reading it I'll take it in but I'm changing my strategy this year. I'm reading the textbook and writing notes as I go along. Most of it is basically rewriting the textbook onto lined paper but it encourages me to try and understand the things that don't make sense to me instead of breezing past them onto a chapter that I understand better. If I'm still not understanding the textbook after a few more reads I look online for a better explanation or consult another textbook (I got one off Amazon for the A Level students and that helps me a lot).

No results guaranteed so far but I seem to be engaging with the coursework a lot better so far and I'm hoping my assessments show that.
Omg I am so excited started received OU materials

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys,

I am studying chemistry (Open Plus - hopefully going to a red brick next year) and I'm about to start S215 (the replacement of S205) in a couple of weeks, and also doing S151 (maths).

I've gotten a head start on the maths as it's pretty basic, but it's a requirement for me to get into the uni I want.
What I'm worried about though is S215; it's ENTIRELY online, this is new to me! lol. I have the chemistry cubed book, which is apparently good complimentary reading for this course..

I did S104, and my TMA results were pretty good. I got 95% in the chemistry one, for example.

My worry is that I will struggle with this Level 2 course?? I've seen a lot of you saying that level 1 is piss easy?? So does that mean I'm going to find the level two chem course really hard? AGHHH I'm so worried. :frown:

I'll try rehash through the chemistry of S104, and I'll use the other book I have too. Just seriously freaking out that it's going to massively leap from, supposedly, GCSE level to second year degree level.. I'm pretty sure the chemistry in S104 was beyond GCSE??

Sorry for waffling, I do that when I'm panicky. o.o;
Original post by Zogian
Hey all!
For those that have done a module before I was just wondering how you write notes for them? I'm starting my final year this year but am hoping to get my grade up - I just struggle with wondering how to write any notes at all? Any tips would be great :smile:
One of the websites opened yesterday so I've been printing off assignment booklets and downloading OU books onto my kindle to read on journeys and that

For me personally, I try to write down things (and highlight) whilst reading the material. Well, I'd read/highlight and then I'd write down notes for what I've just read in my own words. The more you do to actively study, the more you 'absorb'.

Good luck though! :smile:
I would suggest you get hold of an a level chemistry textbook for a while to help you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8707
Original post by CandyKoRn
Hey guys,

I am studying chemistry (Open Plus - hopefully going to a red brick next year) and I'm about to start S215 (the replacement of S205) in a couple of weeks, and also doing S151 (maths).

I've gotten a head start on the maths as it's pretty basic, but it's a requirement for me to get into the uni I want.
What I'm worried about though is S215; it's ENTIRELY online, this is new to me! lol. I have the chemistry cubed book, which is apparently good complimentary reading for this course..

I did S104, and my TMA results were pretty good. I got 95% in the chemistry one, for example.

My worry is that I will struggle with this Level 2 course?? I've seen a lot of you saying that level 1 is piss easy?? So does that mean I'm going to find the level two chem course really hard? AGHHH I'm so worried. :frown:

I'll try rehash through the chemistry of S104, and I'll use the other book I have too. Just seriously freaking out that it's going to massively leap from, supposedly, GCSE level to second year degree level.. I'm pretty sure the chemistry in S104 was beyond GCSE??

Sorry for waffling, I do that when I'm panicky. o.o;

The best thing you can do is keep up to date with the course schedule and if you can, get ahead before the course starts. That would mean you then have extra time to get your head around any concepts that you struggle to understand.
I also echo the advice of getting an A level textbook, it's really handy to be able to look at a second explanation of something if the OU textbook isn't being clear. I've also been known to Google for other explanations as the chances are there is SOMEONE online who can help you figure it out.
All the best.
Original post by Radio
The best thing you can do is keep up to date with the course schedule and if you can, get ahead before the course starts. That would mean you then have extra time to get your head around any concepts that you struggle to understand.
I also echo the advice of getting an A level textbook, it's really handy to be able to look at a second explanation of something if the OU textbook isn't being clear. I've also been known to Google for other explanations as the chances are there is SOMEONE online who can help you figure it out.
All the best.

Thanks, I have an AS text book with questions to practice with. It's not quite at the level I studied, but I will go through my old OU book too.

The course doesn't start for two weeks yet, and my main area for worrying is the maths/equations as that stuff just falls out of my brain if I don't use it! lol.
Anyone know if you can get student discounts with OU, I know I can apply for an NUS card but what about through student ID (which many places ask for rather than NUS), can you get a student ID though? :s-smilie:
Reply 8710
Original post by tehFrance
Anyone know if you can get student discounts with OU, I know I can apply for an NUS card but what about through student ID (which many places ask for rather than NUS), can you get a student ID though? :s-smilie:

I currently have an NUS extra card through a different organisation, and I've never had any issues with using it.
I know in the shop I work with, we sometimes don't accept student ID if it doesn't have an expiry date on it, and there are some other stores that only accept the NUS extra card, so I'd have thought NUS card would be fine.

Don't know about getting an OU student ID though, hopefully someone else can help?
Original post by Aula
I currently have an NUS extra card through a different organisation, and I've never had any issues with using it.
I know in the shop I work with, we sometimes don't accept student ID if it doesn't have an expiry date on it, and there are some other stores that only accept the NUS extra card, so I'd have thought NUS card would be fine.

Don't know about getting an OU student ID though, hopefully someone else can help?

Hmm maybe it's just my idiot barber then? I'll take the NUS card to a different barber and see what happens :h:

I would have thought we could get student ID, if not no worries but it seems strange to me :s-smilie:

--------

Anyone here gone on to study in the US for their post-grad work, if so how'd college's find your degree? :smile:
I completed aa100 a couple of weeks back, and was getting ready to start A105 in a fortnight (both arts courses to put towards an English degree). I'm also applying for full time study, but can only get funding for this (due to previous study in 2010) if my current study at the OU doesn't give me a qualification.

I noticed that to get a certificate of Higher education in humanities (which is t07) I would be studying the same modules I've studied, and thus would be a 'qualification' for me if I left after A105 and went to a redbrick Uni.

Can I just chose not to take the qualification, or would SFE & the OU see if that I've completed those credits, so I would have that qualification regardless of whether I wanted it or not?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Woo my course website opens tomorrow

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8714
Hi Guys, I have an EMA to submit tomorrow(dissertation for SXL390). I was wondering does the 12 hour grace period count for the EMA as it does for the TMA??
Reply 8715
Original post by 887
Hi Guys, I have an EMA to submit tomorrow(dissertation for SXL390). I was wondering does the 12 hour grace period count for the EMA as it does for the TMA??
I have no idea but I would suggest submitting a draft just now if you haven't already just in case. (Sorry, you probably already knew that but there was someone on one of my modules who left it to the last minute to submit and somehow forgot to actually send it to the Uni. They had to retake the whole course IIRC).
Original post by 887

It does yeah... How was SXL390?? I have the biology one in feb

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ahhh SXL390 is the bio one!! How you find it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8718
Original post by Lambert87
Ahhh SXL390 is the bio one!! How you find it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks
Hey, I really enjoyed it since I was researching a topic I was interested in. The TMAs aren't too difficult for a level 3 course if I can say so.

If you plan ahead and spread your work out throughout the course, you'll manage fine. Also make good use of your tutor. Don't hesitate to ask questions.

Hope this helped
**** OU... Can't login :colonhash:

Quick Reply

Latest